View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #61
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No, I lack belief in any god, goddess, fairy, bigfoots (or are they bigfeet? ), santas, leprechauns, little green men, titans, creatures of the abyss, vampires, werewolves.

    They all may well exist but I see no evidence of them so I simply do not believe.



    I believe that there is no bigfoot.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #62
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I believe that there is no bigfoot.
    Then you have a new religion.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    I believe there may be a bigfoot, but unlikely. I believe that there are not fairies or lepruchans. I believe there are not or is not a "god/gods" as man terms it.

    If I believe that the Redskins are the best team in football that is a beleif. If I don't believe the Redskins are the best team in football that is still a belief. It would only be if I don't have a feeling any particular way with regards to the Redskins and theirs tature in the NFL and acknowledge they could possibly be the best or not could it be said I don't have any belief about them.

    NOT believing something is a belief. Its not the absence of belief. If someone reaches a conclussion about something that in and of itself IS a belief. You can't have a conclussion and not have a belief.

  4. #64
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Possibly because so many athiests go "There is no god" not "There may be a god/something divine, but until I have proof I don't think there is".

    I've rarely seen any athiest who routinely acknowledges that there's the potential that such exists but we don't have proof yet and thus that's why they don't think there is. Its almost always simply stated as an absolute, unquestionable fact, usually with uppity sarcastic condenscending tones and insults.
    The absolutes generally come into play when referencing a specific "version" or claimed knowledge of a God.

    There is a slim possibility that there is a god (or higher power), there is a virtually non existent possibility that any of the thousands of human conceptualizations all claiming their own version and specific knowledge of this higher power as a entity is correct.
    Last edited by marduc; 10-18-10 at 03:29 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  5. #65
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Then you have a new religion.


    Well the Good Reverend *is* a god like creature. Thank you.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #66
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I think he was talking about Glinda, not you. She basically took my post that was trying to clarify if you were saying unquestionably that gods don't exist or stating that you have never seen proof that gods exist and thus until such time that you don't think there are any but don't discount the possability, and proceeded to tell me what I was arguing originally. IE, that the former is athiesm and the later is agnostic.
    Wrong. It's not one or the other. But, if you're going to go all black and white, agnostics, by common defintion, determine it to be unknowable. Whereas atheists certainly do think it's knowable.

    At best, many of us are agnostic atheists. /shrug.

    Doesn't really matter to me. There are MANY flavors of atheists. But none of them constitute a religion.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 10-18-10 at 03:14 PM.

  7. #67
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Thank you for proving my point Glinda. That's what I've been arguing the whole time. Athiests have belief, Agnostics are the closest to "no belief".
    But agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, there are agnostic atheists, and there are gnostic atheists.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  8. #68
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I believe there may be a bigfoot, but unlikely. I believe that there are not fairies or lepruchans. I believe there are not or is not a "god/gods" as man terms it.

    If I believe that the Redskins are the best team in football that is a beleif. If I don't believe the Redskins are the best team in football that is still a belief. It would only be if I don't have a feeling any particular way with regards to the Redskins and theirs tature in the NFL and acknowledge they could possibly be the best or not could it be said I don't have any belief about them.

    NOT believing something is a belief. Its not the absence of belief. If someone reaches a conclussion about something that in and of itself IS a belief. You can't have a conclussion and not have a belief.
    Yes, for many of us, it IS an absence of belief.

    I do not say, "I BELIEVE there are no gods"
    I say, "I DO NOT BELIEVE there are gods".
    I LACK belief. Lacking belief cannot logically be the same as having belief. If I don't have a belief, that is not a belief.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    But agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, there are agnostic atheists, and there are gnostic atheists.
    However if someone believes that its impossible to prove that a god/the divine does or doesn't exist, but they are athiests so they state that no god/the divine exists, then that most assuredly IS a belief. Its accepting that something that is improvable and unknownable as truth.

    And if one believes that it is possible to know it, but claims that without knowing it that it doesnt' exist, they're still presenting a belief as they're stating something that is not proven as if its fact.

    Even if they're NOT claiming it as fact, but simply claiming it as their own belief....THAT'S BELIEF. Its no less belief than someone saying "I don't know for a fact that God exists, but I believe it does". Going "I don't know for a fact that a god exists, but I believe it doesn't" isn't any different. You're coming to a conclussion of what you think about something, that is a belief. It is a thought you hold as true. That is a belief.

    A belief does not equal a religion.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yes, for many of us, it IS an absence of belief.

    I do not say, "I BELIEVE there are no gods"
    I say, "I DO NOT BELIEVE there are gods".
    I LACK belief. Lacking belief cannot logically be the same as having belief. If I don't have a belief, that is not a belief.
    No, you're lacking belief in there being gods, but you're having faith in that there are no gods.

    Truly lacking beleif in gods would be stating I do not know if there is a god or not. Or there may be gods or there may not be. THAT is truly lacking belief.

    Saying "I lack belief in a god" is exactly the same as saing "I believe there is not a god", you're just switching how you say it, but those are two equal statements.

    You are forming a conclusion about an idea, that is a belief.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •