View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The argument to ignorance is a logical fallacy of irrelevance occurring when one claims that something is true only because it hasn't been proved false, or that something is false only because it has not been proved true. A claim's truth or falsity depends on supporting or refuting evidence to the claim, not the lack of support for a contrary or contradictory claim. A personal experience of a supernatural nature can never be evidence as it is subjectively based on the individual's interpretation of their experience.
    All reality is subjective, including all those scientific experiments.

  2. #232
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    All reality is subjective, including all those scientific experiments.

    Riiiiiiight.

  3. #233
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Just as religious for not having religious beliefs. You guys make a bundle of sense.

    He's saying that we believe something that cannot be scientifically proven, while you believe against something that cannot be scientifically disproven.

    Neither position is based on scientific fact. One is based on faith and personal spiritual experiences. The other is based on an absence of evidence... which is not evidence of absence.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    He's saying that we believe something that cannot be scientifically proven, while you believe against something that cannot be scientifically disproven.
    People don't seem to get that theres nothing to disprove. Its not that a lack of God cant be disproven its that a lack of a belief does not exist.

    Lack of the belief does not constitute a positive belief in something else. Not believing in god is not a positive belief to be disproven. It is merely not even subscribing to a thought system that includes a supernatural being.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Riiiiiiight.
    It is impossible to reconcile an objective reality with quantum mechanics.

  6. #236
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Great, then why don't you stop wasting your time on your knees praying to an imaginary friend in the sky and get on your feet and do something to help these people? People of all sorts give to charities, the largest charities in the world are non-religious in nature. Ever heard of things like the American Red Cross? Doctors Without Borders? Amnesty International? UNICEF? The reason people don't think about these organizations as non-theistic is because they don't bother making a big deal about it, they're too busy actually helping people to bother. It seems absurd that you feel you have to believe in something irrational in order to be able to reach out and help your fellow man.

    Charities are actually realizing that pushing religion harms them when it comes to donations, that's why the Christian Children's Fund dropped "Christian" from their name and became ChildFund International. More people are apt to donate if they think the charity is actually helping people and not poisoning their minds with religious nonsense.
    religious nonsense is no more poisonous than arrogant elitism....
    and most religion based charities help without preaching their gospel. The church I attend has a very large charity program, and since I donate 10% to the church, I am part of their charitable efforts.


    Making mountains out of molehills, that is all you are doing. But, if it keeps you from being afraid of the unknown, go for it...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,764

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill
    and most religion based charities help without preaching their gospel. The church I attend has a very large charity program, and since I donate 10% to the church, I am part of their charitable efforts.
    Ah yes, you make a claim and as your only proof of the claim, you use your own particular church. Sorry, doesn't fly. You are aware that groups like The Salvation Army won't feed you unless you listen to a sermon, they won't put you in a bed for the night unless you profess Christian belief, right? That's extremely commonplace. They're more interested in passing on their mind poison than they are in just helping people for the sake of helping people. The charitable work is just a vehicle for prosletyzing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #238
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Ah yes, you make a claim and as your only proof of the claim, you use your own particular church. Sorry, doesn't fly. You are aware that groups like The Salvation Army won't feed you unless you listen to a sermon, they won't put you in a bed for the night unless you profess Christian belief, right? That's extremely commonplace. They're more interested in passing on their mind poison than they are in just helping people for the sake of helping people. The charitable work is just a vehicle for prosletyzing.
    You must be living in an alternate universe, or in the verydistant past. Next you will be telling us that the YMCA won't allow people in unless they say a prayer at an alter first....
    Remember Hurricane Katrina? There was tons of news coverage about the charitable help delivered, and altho I didn't see ALL of it, I did see a lot, and NONE of it mentioned the kind of things you are claiming. NONE...it would have been headline news. A few signs were up so the media would know which organizations were providing the help, and there might have been prayer services with voluntary attendance, but what you say if off the charts wrong.
    I do remember Hurricanes back in the late 50's where the Red Cross got criticism for SELLING drinking water to storm victims. They took a lot of heat on that. And a few charities took some heat when the media published the exorbitant salaries of some of the organization heads.
    And I wasn't using my church as some kind of standard, all the religions providing help gave their assistance without anything expected in return, just as it says to do in the bible.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,764

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill
    You must be living in an alternate universe, or in the verydistant past. Next you will be telling us that the YMCA won't allow people in unless they say a prayer at an alter first....
    Then you haven't done your research. From an article, "I have spoken with a number of people who have sought assistance from the Salvation Army in the past, particularly for disaster relief. I was told of how these people were preached to and forced into praying with the Salvation Army folks to their Christian God as a prerequisite for receiving services. If you're Jewish, tough. If you're Hindu, tough. Gotta pray their way, to their God, or else you're not worthy of assistance. It's quid pro quo. Gotta take advantage of people when they're most vulnerable. Contrast this with the secular Red Cross, which just wants to help disaster victims, not save their souls."

    Funny how you accuse me of living in the very distant past, then bring up something from the 1950s.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #240
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,175

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It is impossible to reconcile an objective reality with quantum mechanics.
    What does this mantra mean to you? From your repetition, it seems that you ascribe some significance to it.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •