View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #211
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Well that would be something


    Of course it would shorty.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Not knowing nothing works on so many levels.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill
    do you realize that you sound like someone trying to convert others to his religion?
    Only if you consider every teacher everywhere to be trying to convert their students to their religion. The effort is to get people to think more critically and rationally about their beliefs. That's not religion, that's reality. Sorry you can't tell the difference.

    Value of beliefs for others is not for any other person to decide. Why would you want to take away the pain medications for someone who really needs them? It is about the same thing.
    Value, no. Fact, yes. It is absolutely up to everyone to work to determine what is actually real and what is fantasy. If someone believes that there is no gravity and if they jump off the top of a tall building, they won't fall, that belief may have plenty of value to the believer, but he's also wrong. If he jumps off that building, no matter how strongly he believes, no matter how much faith he has, he's still going to be a puddle on the sidewalk. Strength of conviction means jack squat to reality.

    I can't take away any pain medications if they don't have any to begin with. It's like homeopathy. It's WATER! It does nothing, no matter how strongly you believe it does. It's a placebo, nothing more. There might be some minor use in a placebo, but it's far preferable to get actual medicine that actually works. You argue that people "really need them", but the fact is, they want them. It's not need, it's a desire, usually borne out of ignorance. People just don't know any better. They've never been taught to think critically, to care about the facts and deal with reality as it actually is. It's a lot easier to play make-believe than it is to deal with actual problems head-on.

    Sorry, that's just a pathetic position to take. I don't want to tell people that if they pray to a statue, they'll be fed, I want to teach them how to feed themselves! Sure, it's harder, but the results are far more predictable and positive.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #214
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    But it is a belief!
    Only in the sense that having a favorite color is a belief or deciding what style of clothing you like is a belief. So what?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #215
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Only if you consider every teacher everywhere to be trying to convert their students to their religion. The effort is to get people to think more critically and rationally about their beliefs. That's not religion, that's reality. Sorry you can't tell the difference.



    Value, no. Fact, yes. It is absolutely up to everyone to work to determine what is actually real and what is fantasy. If someone believes that there is no gravity and if they jump off the top of a tall building, they won't fall, that belief may have plenty of value to the believer, but he's also wrong. If he jumps off that building, no matter how strongly he believes, no matter how much faith he has, he's still going to be a puddle on the sidewalk. Strength of conviction means jack squat to reality.

    I can't take away any pain medications if they don't have any to begin with. It's like homeopathy. It's WATER! It does nothing, no matter how strongly you believe it does. It's a placebo, nothing more. There might be some minor use in a placebo, but it's far preferable to get actual medicine that actually works. You argue that people "really need them", but the fact is, they want them. It's not need, it's a desire, usually borne out of ignorance. People just don't know any better. They've never been taught to think critically, to care about the facts and deal with reality as it actually is. It's a lot easier to play make-believe than it is to deal with actual problems head-on.

    Sorry, that's just a pathetic position to take. I don't want to tell people that if they pray to a statue, they'll be fed, I want to teach them how to feed themselves! Sure, it's harder, but the results are far more predictable and positive.

    I would like to believe that you are sincere but ignorant. Most of us know praying won't get wheat shipped from where it grows well (but not so much lately) to those who are unable to grow it, thanks to drought, pestilence, etc.. Most of us already know that we won't get food by praying for it. Those who don't have food don't need to be taught either. They need to be fed. They know how already, but you can't fight city hall or mother nature. If it wasn't for charity, often from christian sources, they would starve. The religions donating are showing that they at least subscribe to Matt. chap. 25. What athiest groups are there helping the world's poorest people get fed?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,037

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Don't put words in my own mouth. I don't believe that God supernaturally crafted every rabbit and I know it's the result of sexual reproduction. I believe the first animals were created by God and that all in existence was created by God. One must have faith that the evidence for God is either incorrect by clinging to pseudoscience and unproven theories or by denying what we know about scientific laws.
    And again this goes counter to all evidence. "Animals" are the direct descendents of single cell organisms. These single cell organisms are in turn the direct descendents of chemical reactions in what is culturally referred to as the primordial ooze.

    If you look at nature as a whole it would scream for a creator. People must have faith that God does not exist, because by faith they reject the proofs and things that suggest a creator.
    No. It does. Not.

    We can prove gravity though science, but we can't put gravity in a test tube.
    Um yes, and a creator regardless of how much you claim that it can be simply can't be proven through a test tube. Gravity can be put in a test tube. Here's an example of how to prove the existence of gravity with a test tube. Drop it. What do you think makes it fall through air and come smashing into the ground? Now try a similar approach for a creator? Seriously, read a little about scientific evidence and how experiments work.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    I posted this video in another thread, but I'll post it here too:
    Henry Markram builds a brain in a supercomputer | Video on TED.com

    I know that I exist to me, but I do not know for sure that you exist to you. All I have is my own reality. The rest is a series of decisions and suppositions about the nature of your reality. Every brain has the same basic components, but the orchestration of those components is unique to every individual. The only reason why we can communicate across such barriers is because we make a wide variety of assumptions about the reality of the person we are talking to. In other words, I assume that your reality must be like mine, and thus I take for granted that the way you interpret my views must also be the same. Enter miscommunication, social unrest, and war.

    As long as people seek to find "correctness" in the theism vs. atheism debate, the arguments will be never ending. It doesn't occur to most people that you can unify the two sides into a singular concept. They can mutually exist in one mind, or exist separately in different minds. All combinations are possible. In other words, a person whose reality revolves around God and a person whose reality revolves around the absence of God can BOTH be correct!

  8. #218
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why do atheists make such a big deal out of religion? Why dont' they just ignore it?
    Religion has been the vehicle of change throughout history.
    If someone wants to ignore it and get it out of their life they *can't* learn about what happened - well - everywhere, at any time in history.
    I don't think there's a single thing I haven't learned in my Art History, World Civilization, or even Law class that doesn't related or decend *from* religous beliefs.

    The notion of a religious-free living is *very* modern. . . most countries throughout history had religions as their center - very *few* lived without religion being an intricate part of their lives or setting the rules for which they did things by.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #219
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I would like to believe that you are sincere but ignorant. Most of us know praying won't get wheat shipped from where it grows well (but not so much lately) to those who are unable to grow it, thanks to drought, pestilence, etc.. Most of us already know that we won't get food by praying for it. Those who don't have food don't need to be taught either. They need to be fed. They know how already, but you can't fight city hall or mother nature. If it wasn't for charity, often from christian sources, they would starve. The religions donating are showing that they at least subscribe to Matt. chap. 25. What athiest groups are there helping the world's poorest people get fed?
    Great, then why don't you stop wasting your time on your knees praying to an imaginary friend in the sky and get on your feet and do something to help these people? People of all sorts give to charities, the largest charities in the world are non-religious in nature. Ever heard of things like the American Red Cross? Doctors Without Borders? Amnesty International? UNICEF? The reason people don't think about these organizations as non-theistic is because they don't bother making a big deal about it, they're too busy actually helping people to bother. It seems absurd that you feel you have to believe in something irrational in order to be able to reach out and help your fellow man.

    Charities are actually realizing that pushing religion harms them when it comes to donations, that's why the Christian Children's Fund dropped "Christian" from their name and became ChildFund International. More people are apt to donate if they think the charity is actually helping people and not poisoning their minds with religious nonsense.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #220
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And again this goes counter to all evidence. "Animals" are the direct descendents of single cell organisms. These single cell organisms are in turn the direct descendents of chemical reactions in what is culturally referred to as the primordial ooze.
    This is wrong. Life did not all stem from the 1 single cell that magically came to life. Abiogenesis is fundamentally flawed, implausible, and even if possible could not prove that this is how life first started. Life did not rise from primordial ooze.
    No. It does. Not.
    Yes it does. Why does it not?
    Um yes, and a creator regardless of how much you claim that it can be simply can't be proven through a test tube. Gravity can be put in a test tube. Here's an example of how to prove the existence of gravity with a test tube. Drop it. What do you think makes it fall through air and come smashing into the ground? Now try a similar approach for a creator? Seriously, read a little about scientific evidence and how experiments work.
    And neither can you prove that all things rose from abiogenesis. You can't go years into the past and see it happening. Even if remotely plausible (which it isn't) no one can prove that this is how life started. What is the physical property of gravity? It's like time, it isn't physical but it does indeed exist. You can't put time and gravity in a test tube. They aren't physical things. Regardless, even the test tube itself in my opinion proves God exists. Where did the atoms come from that comprise it? Why is it there? How were those atoms created? By the Creator.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •