View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #181
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It's developing a belief through scientific reasoning. The fact that scientific law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed demands that something beyond the constraints of scientific law (God) must have created all things in existence.
    That is not scientific reasoning. Science requires measurement. If you want to state knowledge of gods in a scientific sense, you must have a measurement of gods. If no measurement exists, science says we don't know at this point. This is why science and religion are two different things.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #182
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Water has no taste - the impurities in the water do.
    It occurs to me that a pure religion has no detrimental effect on man, it is the impurities that cause all the damage...and we are the impurities...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #183
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,762

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It's developing a belief through scientific reasoning. The fact that scientific law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed demands that something beyond the constraints of scientific law (God) must have created all things in existence.
    Actually, it's the argument from ignorance. You look at the world and you can't come up with a better explanation, therefore you pick the one that you find most emotionally comforting. That's not science, that's logical fallacy.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Then prove God through science. Of course, you realize that will require you to produce objective, testable evidence that does not require a priori faith that it's real first, right? So when you manage to do that, you can win the Nobel prize and be wealthy.

    Be sure to let us know when you manage it.
    That'd be like banging your head against a wall or trying to fingerpaint with no paint.

  5. #185
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,956

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    I believe the term 'god' is essentially a redundancy in describing causal relations.
    The problem is you're leaving really big holes open, as in, who created god?
    My belief is that God is beyond the need for creation and is eternal, something our minds cannot comprehend. Matter and energy are finite and required a creation event, God is not like matter and energy and did not. I also believe God constructed time, before this time did not exist. All we can comprehend is what we know in this universe and of finite things, God is beyond that in my belief, and did not need to be created.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, it's the argument from ignorance. You look at the world and you can't come up with a better explanation, therefore you pick the one that you find most emotionally comforting. That's not science, that's logical fallacy.
    Incorrect. It's taking what I know about science and believing what is plausible regarding something that no scientist has proven and can study. By your logic, is it not equally true for atheists to believe some kind of self propagation method for the creation of matter and energy?
    Last edited by digsbe; 10-19-10 at 11:41 AM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,762

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Incorrect. It's taking what I know about science and believing what is plausible regarding something that no scientist has proven and can study. By your logic, is it not equally true for atheists to believe some kind of self propagation method for the creation of matter and energy?
    It's sad how little you know about science then.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #187
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I would say it's evidence that we have scientific laws and that our universe governs in a designed and orderly fashion.
    Laws that may or may not be correct. Personally, I subscribe to chaos theory. After all the research I've done on the universe, I see no "order". I see things that eventually fall into something that could be considered "order" (gravitational orbits, etc), but they sure as **** didn't start that way. In fact, the more I learn about the universe, the more unrealistic a "creator" becomes.

    But to go even further back. We know that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. It's scientific law that this is true
    Well actually, it can

    . Something had to create matter and energy that was beyond science (God).
    Something beyond science? This doesn't make any sense. Aside from that, what then created "god"?

    To believe that there is no God, one must have faith that something beyond science did not create all that exists. It also means someone must by faith, believe that something against what we know about science for some reason somehow created everything through an unknown and unproven method.
    Or we accept that we do not know all there is to know.

    For me it would make sense that our universe was created by a designer as it is orderly and is governed by scientific laws.
    For me, it makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever as it is not ordered and our understanding of "laws" changes as we gain knowledge.

    There must have been a will and a reason for its creation as I don't believe that it could have happened without a will and for no reason.
    Why must there be a will and a reason? A meteor doesn't fall from the sky due to will and reason.

    My belief indirectly supports God's existence through science. Gleaning from what we know, something supernatural must have created matter and all that exists within our universe.
    You mean, gleaning from what YOU know, and how YOU understand it.

    That's all well and good. It is easier to just toss your hands up and say "god did it all" than to seek knowledge and understanding. I will give you that. When I read string theory and particle physics, and quantum mechanics, it can be very confusing and difficult to wrap my brain around. But I personally prefer that to just giving up the quest for knowledge and saying some god must have done it. That's what our ancestors did when they couldn't understand thunder and lighting, earthquakes and tornadoes. "God did it."

  8. #188
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,956

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's sad how little you know about science then.
    Offensive one liners mean nothing. I'm a student of molecular biology, not that it matters. Blatant personal attacks will be ignored.

    I have to get ready for school now, I'll reply to stuff later.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,762

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Offensive one liners mean nothing. I'm a student of molecular biology, not that it matters. Blatant personal attacks will be ignored.

    I have to get ready for school now, I'll reply to stuff later.
    No, it doesn't matter, it only matters what you say and what you can demonstrate through the application of scientific principles and the latter is what's lacking.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #190
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Offensive one liners mean nothing. I'm a student of molecular biology.
    Then you should know how science can speak to systems and when it can't say anything definitive about it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •