View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #131
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I understand why they do it. I understand to a point why athiests do it. I don't begrudge either side.

    What I'm saying though is when your sides are so self conciously, primarily due to what your own side has done with the words and view points and the demonizing of them, of a particular label but that label applies to you based on the fact you fail to actually make yourself clear or honestly present your point to not be upset or surprised or condenscending when people react to what you're actually saying rather than assuming what you actually mean.

    I think what many athiests have done to the notion of faith and turning it into a "bad word" that they're afraid of having applied to them because it gives more "fodder" for people to throw agains them is very similar to the self-consiously and insecure notion of religious people being unable to "question" the belief of the divine as something that isn't infallably correct and unquestionably true.
    This is a two way street, atheism viewed as a bad word to many as well. tis not a popular stance, and not one that many go around advertising. there is no "mandate to spread the word of atheism"

    the outspoken minority tends to overpower the quiet majority. When one has conviction in their position they are much more likely to assert this position and usually do so loudly, thus the devout theists who make absolute proclamations usually are the ones butting heads with staunch atheists (or more often and/or accurately the staunch anti theists) who make absolute proclamations the other way (or absolutely rejects the opposing absolute proclamation).
    Last edited by marduc; 10-18-10 at 05:35 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  2. #132
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think there can be a lot of questionable behavior within subsets of the atheist community. Particularly within the anti-theist branch. There are those who condemn religion in total or attack religion in general due to their personal beliefs about religious institutions. Religion can, and often does, have positive effects for people's lives. And if one wishes to believe in a god, they are more than free to do so. There is plenty of worth within religious institutions and people can draw experience and community from them which positively affects their lives. This is a measured fact. Religion can also be abused and twisted; as seen in almost every theocracy which has ever existed on this planet. The use and application of religion is a personal choice and can work out either way. You can have a lot of personal growth and acceptance, or you can have the Westburo (sp?) Baptist folk who suck balls. The same is true on the atheist side. You can have people who have their negative belief structure (if you choose to call it such) and those who are anti-theist and go out to attack religion at every opportunity. However, atheism in general doesn't carry with it the community as there is not reall a community structure set up within atheism.
    why do you keep saying essentially the same thing as I and posting it as I am writing my post. We both bring in the anti-theist concept at the same time :P
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #133
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Not believing is not the absence of belief. It is simply a negative belief.
    No. It's not. It is the rejection of belief. Be it possitive or negative. When somebody asks me 'Do you have a religious belief?' I say 'No. I do not'. I don't then turn around and say 'I believe in science'. Belief comes without evidence and thus not subject to observation by others. I do not believe that leaves are green because some unexplainable factor is making them green. I know they are green because clorophyll and pigments is what gives them their distinctive color. However I must thank Zyphlin for turning this conversation into the usual whining about how bad atheists are and the placebo effect it has on people.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-18-10 at 07:36 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No. It's not. It is the rejection of belief. Be it possitive or negative. When somebody asks me 'Do you have a religious belief?' I say 'No. I do not'. I don't then turn around and say 'I believe in science'. Belief comes without evidence and thus not subject to observation by others. I do not believe that leaves are green because some unexplainable factor is making them green. I know they are green because clorophyll and pigments is what gives them their distinctive color. However I must thank Zyphlin for turning this conversation into the usual whining about how bad atheists are and the placebo effect it has on people.
    You have the belief that pure unadulterated, articulated rationality is the correct way to view the world.

  5. #135
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Not believing is not the absence of belief. It is simply a negative belief.
    Yes, it IS the absence of belief.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yes, it IS the absence of belief.
    Let me repeat myself:

    You have the belief that pure unadulterated, articulated rationality is the correct way to view the world.

  7. #137
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Let me repeat myself:
    And you're attributing a belief to me that I do not have.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And you're attributing a belief to me that I do not have.
    Oh? What other correct ways are there to view the world?

  9. #139
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Oh? What other correct ways are there to view the world?
    I don't believe there is one "correct" way to view the world. Whatever works for you is correct for you.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't believe there is one "correct" way to view the world. Whatever works for you is correct for you.
    I guess that's what most religious people simply don't get when they call atheism a religion. In what "religion" is it possible to say that you accept and change core "beliefs" which change as human knowledge expands? And if these "beliefs" can be changed are they still "core beliefs"? The religious are essentially claiming that anything can be a religion and a belief making the whole point of religion and belief moot.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •