View Poll Results: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

    117 69.23%
  • Wrong

    48 28.40%
  • I don't know

    3 1.78%
  • I don't care

    1 0.59%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 226

Thread: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    If she died I would have asked why a person with a medical condition that can debilitate her at any time didn't always carry around with her the medication she needed to deal with that medical condition. She has a responsibility to her own health. Nobody else. If she doesn't regard her medical condition with the forethought necessary, that is her own fault and nobody else's.
    You're obviously a libertarian. But basically, your argument boils down to "no-one should help in avoidable situations, and people deserve to die for petty mistakes". I can't say your argument is all that great, or moral for that matter.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post

    A tourniquet is not the same as medication. Anybody can take a belt and use it as a tourniquet, but nobody can improv medication. Also, asthma is a diagnosable condition that people know they can suffer through at any time. Cuts (generally) only happen on accident.
    So if it's an accident capitalism takes a back seat?
    Also you help my argument with this point, yes a tourniquet can be fashioned out of alot of things, but you can't improv medication. So shouldn't the people who have the medication give it to the lady who is having an emergency medical need? We're not talking about just handing out medicine to everyone, we're talking about someone who is having an emergency medical situation, and may die. Like I said, in the medical field, sometimes money takes a back seat, and saving a humans life is worth more than a dollar.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #23
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    You're obviously a libertarian. But basically, your argument boils down to "no-one should help in avoidable situations, and people deserve to die for petty mistakes". I can't say your argument is all that great, or moral for that matter.
    Sams not a libertarian, but I am.

    I do agree that people with certain medical conditions should accept responsibility for their medical condition. My ex husband is a diabetic and as such, has to make sure he's got syringes, insulin, a meter, etc... he takes responsibility for his own health.

    Having said that, while I understand the company's official position on this situation, as a human being, I would have made sure that the woman was given what she needed to ensure that her immediate medical needs were met. Now, if I'd done that outside company policies and in turn, lost my job... then that's a consequence I would have dealt with and known going in.

    Is the company's policy screwed? Probably. But unfortunately, that is their policy and they have the right to make it as they see fit. If people don't like it, they are free to show their discontent by shopping elsewhere and hitting CVS where it hurts - in the pocketbook.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    This is just so wrong on a human decency level.

    I understand that the woman bears a lot of the responsibility for what happened here. Someone with her condition should carry an inhaler, even two!, at all times.

    And I also understand that a company needs to make money and can't be giving discounts to everyone.

    This, however, was a special case. She was ONE measly dollar short for pete's sake. She was in severe distress and could have died. At some point, rules have to be broken and human decency has to take over.

    Either way, that stupid dollar bought this company the WORST publicity ever. What a bunch of idiots.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    You're obviously a libertarian. But basically, your argument boils down to "no-one should help in avoidable situations, and people deserve to die for petty mistakes". I can't say your argument is all that great, or moral for that matter.
    1) I'm not a libertarian. We're talking about this specific instance, not broad political philosophy.

    2) I never said "no one should help." In truth of fact, had I been there, I too probably would have paid that dollar so she could get the inhaler. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about whether the CVS Pharmacy was wrong not to sell a $21 inhaler for $20. My opinion is no, they are not wrong.

    3) If this was such an avoidable situation why didn't the asthma sufferer take steps to better avoid it? Why should the burden be on the pharmacy instead of on her?

    4) I never said she should die for petty mistakes. My stance was that instead of relying on the pharmacy that is a private for-profit business she should have relied on public medical services, such as the paramedics. Which she did. And she lived.

    So way to totally misrepresent or outright ignore all the things I've said throughout this thread.

  6. #26
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Should CVS Have Sold $21 Inhaler To Asthma Sufferer Who Only Had $20? - The Consumerist



    Is profitability so important that CVS did the right thing here?
    I would say its a matter of principal and that CVS did the right thing. They would be setting a precedent that they do not want if they gave the woman a discount merely because she forgot to carry her own inhaler. So CVS did the right thing. If you are starving does that entitle you a discount at a grocery store or McDonalds?

    That said if I was the clerk I might have helped out with a dollar if I believed the individual was suffering from a asthma attack.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #27
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with what happened.

    CVS is a business, not a public service. They operate on profit. And even though they offered surety, they cannot be compelled to accept it.

    So boyfriend called the paramedics, a public service that doesn't worry about profit because it's paid for in tax dollars. They arrive to the scene and gave her the medication that she needed.

    Everything worked out as it's supposed to.

    If we're going to have a capitalistic society don't be surprised when businesses act capitalistic.
    Pharmacists take an OATH that they seek to uphold - they're not just businessmen behind a counter.
    I've floated money sometimes for customers - .50, .75 . . . out of a money-jar, etc. . .and that's never been for important things like medicine.

    I understand that they don't want to foster an environment where people feel they can continuously take advantage of them - but in this one case their heart should have won out. You know, we're talking about the SAME line of work where people who fought for the legal right to carry or not carry certain types of birth control because of religious beliefs.

    Yet it's sickening to think that 'pay it forward' went on in a restaurant for MONTHS but one ass couldn't fork out ONE DOLLAR in a pharmacy to help out? That's just foul.

    On the money-jar note - many pharmacies do have measures to help when someone can't pay - so, overall, CVS hasn't evolved yet like everyone else? I find that a bit disturbing.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 10-16-10 at 10:56 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Pharmacists take an OATH that they seek to uphold - they're not just businessmen behind a counter.
    I've floated money sometimes for customers - .50, .75 . . . out of a money-jar, etc. . .and that's never been for important things like medicine.

    I understand that they don't want to foster an environment where people feel they can continuously take advantage of them - but in this one case their heart should have won out. You know, we're talking about the SAME line of work where people who fought for the legal right to carry or not carry certain types of birth control because of religious beliefs.

    Yet it's sickening to think that 'pay it forward' went on in a restaurant for MONTHS but one ass couldn't fork out ONE DOLLAR in a pharmacy to help out? That's just foul.

    On the money-jar note - many pharmacies do have measures to help when someone can't pay - so, overall, CVS hasn't evolved yet like everyone else? I find that a bit disturbing.
    I didn't know pharmacist took the Hippocratic Oath? With that in mind it would seem like there should be some legal action that could be taken against CVS. Or atleast the pharmacist should lose their license.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #29
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yet it's sickening to think that 'pay it forward' went on in a restaurant for MONTHS but one ass couldn't fork out ONE DOLLAR in a pharmacy to help out? That's just foul.
    So why is everybody denouncing the clerks at CVS Pharmacy for not pitching in a dollar but not denouncing the other customers in the store for not pitching in a dollar?

    Let's not only boycott CVS Pharmacies but also random business consumers as well.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I didn't know pharmacist took the Hippocratic Oath? With that in mind it would seem like there should be some legal action that could be taken against CVS. Or atleast the pharmacist should lose their license.
    I think this pretty much says it all:

    Pharmacist Code of Ethics & Oath – Pharmacy Pledge & Sworn Statement | U.S. PharmD

    Oath of a Pharmacist

    At this time, I vow to devote my professional life to the service of all humankind through the professionof pharmacy.

    I will consider the welfare of humanityand relief of human suffering my primary concerns.

    I will apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal drug therapy outcomes for the patients I serve.

    I will keep abreast of developments and maintain professional competency in my profession of pharmacy. I will maintain the highest principles of moral, ethical and legal conduct.

    I will embrace and advocate change in the profession of pharmacy that improves patient care.

    I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •