View Poll Results: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

    117 69.23%
  • Wrong

    48 28.40%
  • I don't know

    3 1.78%
  • I don't care

    1 0.59%
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 226

Thread: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

  1. #151
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    And then the district attorney could ask you why, if you know you have asthma, didn't you carry an inhaler with you if you knew you're susceptible to asthma attacks. Individuals should be responsible with their health and have the foresight to carry their medications with them if they can have an attack at any moment. That is not the responsibility of a private pharmacy business.
    I have asthma.. and I died of an attack as a child and I was revived... obviously. I died in the waiting room in an ER, so this story does hit home for me.

    But you have a lot a gull to blame this woman for what happened to her. Screw that. Asthma inhalers run out, and serve attacks cannot be predicted. My inhaler ran out unexpectedly while I was on vacation in NYC. Because I go to a student clinic, I don't have a regular doc to call in a refill for me anywhere. I spent the rest of vacation drinking coffee, avoiding milk, and taking antihistamines.. doing all the little tricks to suppress my own asthma.

    Also, aerosol inhalers are not easy to predict when they will run out. The weight of the inhaler barely changes.

    If I had to go to the ER I would have. The thing is, this woman wouldn't have had to go to the ER if she got her medicine on time. She was a dollar short.. The only person being irresponsible about her health was the pharm clerk. She didn't have the right amount of money, but she was doing the right thing... that is a difference.

    Personally, I would have paid the dollar.. or I would have allowed her to take the medication and wait for them to return with the rest of the money. I wouldn't put another person through it knowing what it's like to suffer like that with nobody to help... I think it's cruel and scariest thing I ever went through in my life
    Last edited by SheWolf; 10-17-10 at 02:01 AM.

  2. #152
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    What if somebody does die... should the capitalistic system protect this behaviour in all cases?
    Well, let's be honest. In the capitalistic system we have now, people *do* die to protect this behavior.

    I mean we're talking about a girl with asthma who had an attack and couldn't get the medicine she needed for lack of a dollar. But what about people who have heart conditions but can't afford medicine to treat it and so they're at risk of a heart attack? Or people who have arthritis but can't live on disability? Or people with cancer who cannot afford cancer treatments?

    So where is the cut off point? If it's not $1, is it $2? Or $5? Or $20? Or $100? Or $1,000?

    If we don't want people to die because of a lack of $1, are we going to make it a law that pharmacies must sell medicines in a range and people can pay any price within that range as they see fit?

    What, exactly, do you want to do because this girl almost died for a lack of a dollar? I'm just really curious to know.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    And if she had walked in claiming to be schizophrenic and on the verge of suicide, and demanded Clozaril or Zyprexa at a reduced rate because she only had twenty bucks on hand at the moment?


  4. #154
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, let's be honest. In the capitalistic system we have now, people *do* die to protect this behavior.

    I mean we're talking about a girl with asthma who had an attack and couldn't get the medicine she needed for lack of a dollar. But what about people who have heart conditions but can't afford medicine to treat it and so they're at risk of a heart attack? Or people who have arthritis but can't live on disability? Or people with cancer who cannot afford cancer treatments?

    So where is the cut off point? If it's not $1, is it $2? Or $5? Or $20? Or $100? Or $1,000?

    If we don't want people to die because of a lack of $1, are we going to make it a law that pharmacies must sell medicines in a range and people can pay any price within that range as they see fit?

    What, exactly, do you want to do because this girl almost died for a lack of a dollar? I'm just really curious to know.
    The bigger focus is that they violated a social-norm (and their oath).

    but, at the same time, I'm wondering "didn't either of them have a credit or debit card?"

    And I can't help but think "I bet they regret spending money at McD's 20 minutes earlier"

    But there are also laws and regulations in some states that are aimed at people who fail to act or attempt to assist someone who's injured or hurt, etc - you know.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 10-17-10 at 02:15 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #155
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I have asthma.. and I died of an attack as a child and I was revived... obviously. I died in the waiting room in an ER, so this story does hit home for me.

    But you have a lot a gull to blame this woman for what happened to her. Screw that. Asthma inhalers run out, and serve attacks cannot be predicted. My inhaler ran out unexpectedly while I was on vacation in NYC. Because I go to a student clinic, I don't have a regular doc to call in a refill for me anywhere. I spent the rest of vacation drinking coffee, avoiding milk, and taking antihistamines.. doing all the little tricks to suppress my own asthma.

    Also, aerosol inhalers are not easy to predict when they will run out. The weight of the inhaler barely changes.

    If I had to go to the ER I would have. The thing is, this woman wouldn't have had to go to the ER if she got her medicine on time. She was a dollar short.. The only person being irresponsible about her health was the pharm clerk. She didn't have the right amount of money, but she was doing the right thing... that is a difference.

    Personally, I would have paid the dollar.. or I would have allowed her to take the medication and wait for them to return with the rest of the money. I wouldn't put another person through it knowing what it's like to suffer like that with nobody to help... I think it's cruel and scariest thing I ever went through in my life
    Personally, I would have paid the dollar too. I've helped out people all the time. Once I was at a gas station and an old woman with arthritis was trying to get an attendant to pump gas for her, but he was taking so long I decided to pump it for her. So I don't want you to think that I'm totally heartless and cruel.

    But my question is this: This is a Politics Debate forum, and so while you, me, and many others, personally would have paid that dollar, what should be done politically to address this? What sort of legislation and enforcement through government services be done to make sure that nobody dies for want of a dollar again? I'm just curious to know.

  6. #156
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    You're obviously a libertarian. But basically, your argument boils down to "no-one should help in avoidable situations, and people deserve to die for petty mistakes". I can't say your argument is all that great, or moral for that matter.
    I am a libertarian or minianarchist to some degree, and I don't really agree with what he is saying.. I don't think the pharm should have just given her the inhaler, but I don't see this a business decision either. I see this as being a crisis decision we are responsible for making as individuals.

    I don't think the government should take care of people. But I don't think that I should not take care of people either. I think people should take care of each other (be good Samaritans, help the needy, volunteer) because that ultimately does make communities better, and that will do more for all of us than the government ever will.

    If everybody had the mindset of this pharm clerk.. there would be millions of more government regulations being debated on the floor. The behaviour of this particular clerk isn't praiseworthy from any POV.

  7. #157
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, let's be honest. In the capitalistic system we have now, people *do* die to protect this behavior.

    I mean we're talking about a girl with asthma who had an attack and couldn't get the medicine she needed for lack of a dollar. But what about people who have heart conditions but can't afford medicine to treat it and so they're at risk of a heart attack? Or people who have arthritis but can't live on disability? Or people with cancer who cannot afford cancer treatments?

    So where is the cut off point? If it's not $1, is it $2? Or $5? Or $20? Or $100? Or $1,000?

    If we don't want people to die because of a lack of $1, are we going to make it a law that pharmacies must sell medicines in a range and people can pay any price within that range as they see fit?

    What, exactly, do you want to do because this girl almost died for a lack of a dollar? I'm just really curious to know.
    People who cannot afford access to medicine and treatments is different from a woman suffering an asthma attack in your face and dying (in this case), while you have the remedy to her condition. If you can stand there and watch somebody die in agony like that, and feel no sense of moral obligation.. then I kind of think there is something wrong with you.

  8. #158
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Personally, I would have paid the dollar too. I've helped out people all the time. Once I was at a gas station and an old woman with arthritis was trying to get an attendant to pump gas for her, but he was taking so long I decided to pump it for her. So I don't want you to think that I'm totally heartless and cruel.

    But my question is this: This is a Politics Debate forum, and so while you, me, and many others, personally would have paid that dollar, what should be done politically to address this? What sort of legislation and enforcement through government services be done to make sure that nobody dies for want of a dollar again? I'm just curious to know.
    If this pharm clerk is protected by social (not socialist) and capitalistic structure without social or ethical reparation, then there will probably have to be legislation if more of this behaviour continues. This is something that 1. shouldn't have happened to begin with, 2. shouldn't be defended, and 3. should not happen again..

  9. #159
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    People who cannot afford access to medicine and treatments is different from a woman suffering an asthma attack in your face and dying (in this case), while you have the remedy to her condition. If you can stand there and watch somebody die in agony like that, and feel no sense of moral obligation.. then I kind of think there is something wrong with you.
    It isn't any different because the whole reason why the woman suffering an asthma attack and dying is denied medicine because she cannot afford it by the margin of a dollar. So she is being denied treatment because of lack of affordability. It doesn't matter what the margin is - the reason is the reason. And you didn't answer any of the questions I asked in that post.

  10. #160
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Was CVS Pharmacy right or wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    If this pharm clerk is protected by social (not socialist) and capitalistic structure without social or ethical reparation, then there will probably have to be legislation if more of this behaviour continues. This is something that 1. shouldn't have happened to begin with, 2. shouldn't be defended, and 3. should not happen again..
    Okay. And what, exactly, kind of legislation do you propose be enacted should this type of behavior persist?

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •