View Poll Results: Is Cesar Chavez someone we should celebrate?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 33.33%
  • No

    8 38.10%
  • Jimmy Hoffa

    6 28.57%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

  1. #51
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    1. Farms grew under the system of rights for farm workers. Farms produced more not less. There's your evidence. You used a hypothesis with no basis in reality, and reality is available to you.
    Because demand grew! I could just as easily say that they grew despite the controls and that they would have grown more if not for the union. In other words, we would have had a cheaper price for grapes.

    Mexicans are not guaranteed a job on American farms. btw, more than Mexicans worked on farms and got better lives because of CC's work.
    No one is guaranteed a job. This does not excuse ignoring their plight.

    I wonder why so many Mexicans and others who are farm workers loved CC? I guess that weren't as concerned as you are for others and they aren't as smart as you are, eh?
    They just ignored unintended consequences. Most people do this.

    2. Prove that more Mexicans worked? I have no idea where you are coming from here. Do you? Is there something implied that I missed? Did you have an issue comprehending this part of my statements: "btw, more than Mexicans worked on farms and got better lives because of CC's work."?
    Sorry, I misread. You said more THAN Mexicans. That's great. But look at the people who now lost their jobs because of this. They went from some money to no money. Look at everyday people who had to pay more for food. I don't see a net positive.

    3. Higher unemployment of migrant workers? Where in the world do you get this idea? You keep stating things that come across as part of a fabulous big lie.
    Higher costs mean higher prices. Higher prices can only come about through decreased production. Look up decreasing marginal utility.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #52
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    03-20-13 @ 04:18 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    254

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    No! I'm arguing that I'm not justified in enslaving those people.
    Did Chavez enslave anyone? What are you talking about?

  3. #53
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    03-20-13 @ 04:18 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    254

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    It was an extreme analogy, obviously, but if I can't justify that then how can I justify what Chavez did?
    Chavez wasn't given the choice you lay out. Chavez was concerned with actual workers working under miserable conditions. Chavez's actions may have unintended consequences as all actions do, but that is never the best argument for doing nothing. If you are arguing that more of these imaginary people should have worked for poverty wages and under miserable conditions as a benefit as opposed to the ones actually working forming a union, then you truly need to go back and revisit the facts of life during Chavez's time as an activist.

    You keep laying out a scenario that is at odds with reality. What might, could and maybe be is an exercise in intellectual boredom

  4. #54
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Or is there something wrong with violating one's ownership of self?
    What a ridiculous concept! Did you make yourself? Did you earn yourself? Of course not. You were given yourself, and you owe everything you are to the people that made you. You don't owe anything to random strangers living in a random city that you might randomly enslave.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Does it really matter? You're basically arguing that there must be a perpetual number of people who are forced out of work. It's still nonsense.
    Yes it does matter, especially since you're trying you're smarmy "lump of labor fallacy" thing which I had not violated any premise of. This is history. There were long lines to get jobs, the population was exploding and there were not enough jobs to go around just yet. In fact, the same is true now; it's why we have unemployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Real mature of you.
    Well don't make stupid claims or try to claim fallacy when one doesn't exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Okay, I've had enough of this. Show me the actual numbers.
    This was during an era where there were literally long lines for jobs that employers could draw from. There was extreme competition for jobs due to the vastly expanding population; particularly in the developed areas and cities where many of the major industrial companies were founded. There was total saturation of the labor market. Meaning that at the time there were well more people looking for jobs than jobs to be had. Work conditions were horrible, but companies could make a lot of money while maintaining poor and dangerous work conditions since there was no oversight on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    If what you're saying is true, then a company could have made a ton of money with safer working conditions. They would have gotten all the labor. Since they didn't, there can only be two reasons: it was prohibitively expensive and it really just wasn't that big of a deal. If it was a bigger deal, then the cost would have been worth it, but the benefits obviously did not outweigh the costs.
    You have to keep in mind time scales. It seems that you almost think this stuff poofs itself into existence. But it's not true. There is plenty of up front costs; and those costs would prevent a company from implementing changes such as safer work conditions and investment into innovation. A company can get caught in a local minimum; but that doesn't mean it necessarily inhabits the global minimum. A company makes money. If there is no outside force; they will do whatever it takes, by whatever means necessary to do so. If it takes investment and time to reap benefits, many companies will not go that route. That's because they are unwilling to take the short term loss for the long term gain. Not when they have to compete against other companies. The only way to elicit change such as safer work conditions is to have an agency which can uniformly apply rules and a system of oversight to ensure that the rules are enforced. This happens to be the government. Some amount of regulation is necessary. You're taking a well too simplified and generalized overview of the dynamics of economics and the time scales involved to produce positive change. It's like the people who use classical arguments to say that matter cannot spontaneously generate but ignore all the quantum fluctuations and measurements which tell us that energy conservation can be violated on small time scales.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Did Chavez enslave anyone? What are you talking about?
    It's an analogy. Of course he didn't enslave anyone, but there was a negative effect on those now out of work.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #57
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Chavez wasn't given the choice you lay out. Chavez was concerned with actual workers working under miserable conditions. Chavez's actions may have unintended consequences as all actions do, but that is never the best argument for doing nothing. If you are arguing that more of these imaginary people should have worked for poverty wages and under miserable conditions as a benefit as opposed to the ones actually working forming a union, then you truly need to go back and revisit the facts of life during Chavez's time as an activist.

    You keep laying out a scenario that is at odds with reality. What might, could and maybe be is an exercise in intellectual boredom
    The problem is that they're not imaginary and you have to justify the negative effects imposed on them.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #58
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    What a ridiculous concept! Did you make yourself? Did you earn yourself? Of course not. You were given yourself, and you owe everything you are to the people that made you. You don't owe anything to random strangers living in a random city that you might randomly enslave.
    Then no one owns anyone except for an original creator. Because if you don't own yourself, then how can you own the products of yourself (your children)?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #59
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes it does matter, especially since you're trying you're smarmy "lump of labor fallacy" thing which I had not violated any premise of. This is history. There were long lines to get jobs, the population was exploding and there were not enough jobs to go around just yet. In fact, the same is true now; it's why we have unemployment.


    Well don't make stupid claims or try to claim fallacy when one doesn't exist.



    This was during an era where there were literally long lines for jobs that employers could draw from. There was extreme competition for jobs due to the vastly expanding population; particularly in the developed areas and cities where many of the major industrial companies were founded. There was total saturation of the labor market. Meaning that at the time there were well more people looking for jobs than jobs to be had. Work conditions were horrible, but companies could make a lot of money while maintaining poor and dangerous work conditions since there was no oversight on it.
    I'm looking for actual proof, not just your feelings. You're basically just using anecdotal evidence.

    And we have unemployment now because of minimum wage, a social security net, etc.

    You have to keep in mind time scales. It seems that you almost think this stuff poofs itself into existence. But it's not true. There is plenty of up front costs; and those costs would prevent a company from implementing changes such as safer work conditions and investment into innovation. A company can get caught in a local minimum; but that doesn't mean it necessarily inhabits the global minimum. A company makes money. If there is no outside force; they will do whatever it takes, by whatever means necessary to do so. If it takes investment and time to reap benefits, many companies will not go that route. That's because they are unwilling to take the short term loss for the long term gain. Not when they have to compete against other companies. The only way to elicit change such as safer work conditions is to have an agency which can uniformly apply rules and a system of oversight to ensure that the rules are enforced. This happens to be the government. Some amount of regulation is necessary. You're taking a well too simplified and generalized overview of the dynamics of economics and the time scales involved to produce positive change.
    People take risks all the time for potential future profit! Your argument is illogical. If it was true, then there is no reason why Las Vegas hotels should exist. None at all.

    It's like the people who use classical arguments to say that matter cannot spontaneously generate but ignore all the quantum fluctuations and measurements which tell us that energy conservation can be violated on small time scales.
    I didn't ignore it, I accepted it. I had other arguments as well, don't act like you have the trump card. And how nice of you to drag another conversation into this thread.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #60
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we celebrate Cesar Chavez?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Then no one owns anyone except for an original creator. Because if you don't own yourself, then how can you own the products of yourself (your children)?
    You don't. They are indebted to you, as you are indebted to your ancestors.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •