View Poll Results: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 42.99%
  • No

    61 57.01%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 206

Thread: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
    Yep! And he is famous for saying that and then buggering off back to Europe

    But in all honesty Cook is far more deserving of international recognition than Columbus ever was
    I agree, I just had to point out the historical facts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Yeah, rather than just going to one place like Columbus, he went everywhere.



    But the best bit is he lived up to his last name.
    Not sure that they ate him... just bashed in the head and left to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #173
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Not sure that they ate him... just bashed in the head and left to die.
    I'm pretty sure they cooked him, but not ate him, I think it was a Hawaiian ritual cremation or something.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #174
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
    Yep! And he is famous for saying that and then buggering off back to Europe

    But in all honesty Cook is far more deserving of international recognition than Columbus ever was
    But he gets honored all the time

    after all my wife went to a "cooking" school and is now a "cook"



  5. #175
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Good point. To take it a bit further, how many really understand memorial day, labor day, veterns day or for that matter any federal holiday? IMO, it as you said it has become a "day off".
    Too true. I would prefer people actually knew what and why they are celebrating.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #176
    Student Sidgaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lost in Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    160

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Good point. To take it a bit further, how many really understand memorial day, labor day, veterns day or for that matter any federal holiday? IMO, it as you said it has become a "day off".
    memorial day- start of crab season
    labor day- end of crab season
    veterns day- I think that the day we used to visit grandpa at the home.

  7. #177
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    He hated non-whites? One of his good friends that he allowed into the White House for conversations was Frederick Douglass.....a non-white. Mary Todd's best friend was a black woman.

    Why would you say he hated non-whites?
    Because that's what liberal revisionists taught kids and that's what they believe.

    But no, I think Columbus Day is a little silly today. If we thew out everything past deeds by all people because of what would be construed as racist today, History would be banned all together - and the Democratic party would have been made illegal a long time ago.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Because that's what liberal revisionists taught kids and that's what they believe.

    But no, I think Columbus Day is a little silly today. If we thew out everything past deeds by all people because of what would be construed as racist today, History would be banned all together - and the Democratic party would have been made illegal a long time ago.
    What you guys call Columbus Day is a national holiday here in Spain. It's known as Día de la Hispanidad, or Día de la Raza in which both here and in America (the Latin part) they celebrate Hispanic-ness; the day a 'Spaniard' supposedly discovered the Americas. There's a lot of nationalism associated with it and it's also the day of the police and armed forces. Not my favourite fiesta, I must admit.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #179
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    He Impregnated my girlfriend!!
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  10. #180
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Because that's what liberal revisionists taught kids and that's what they believe.

    But no, I think Columbus Day is a little silly today. If we thew out everything past deeds by all people because of what would be construed as racist today, History would be banned all together - and the Democratic party would have been made illegal a long time ago.
    No, liberal revisionists taught a fairy tale that Lincoln loved non-whites and other things that his own words show the opposite.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •