View Poll Results: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 42.99%
  • No

    61 57.01%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 206

Thread: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I agreed with your point which is why I never commented on it. France and the US are alike and shared similar experiences in their revolutions. Although, the French went overboard with the entire murdering of anyone that didn't agree with the Republicans.
    Thus, Maximilien Robespierre makes an appearance on my list of history's worst mass-murderers. Now, I'm aware that Robespierre wasn't quite the controlling head-honcho that Franco or Hitler were, and the Vendee and other specific atrocities of the French Revolution weren't actually related to Robespierre or his Reign of Terror. But I think, if one has to put a name to the atrocities of the French Revolution, Robespierre is the most suitable candidate -- just as I could have composed an entire list of Nazi leaders (from Goebbels to Goth to Himmler and beyond), but instead just lumped them all into "Hitler".

  2. #152
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Nobody really knows for sure ...
    He has reach a level of comprehension far above our own.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-04-10 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    588

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    The French Revolution like many others turned on itself. Only 2 Revolutions/Breaking from a Colonial power did not turn on themselves. The new United States in 1781 to 1800 & Israel after the Jewish State was established with the Jewish Agency forming the rudiments of Government & the Hagannah evolving into the IDF.

  4. #154
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Racine View Post
    The French Revolution like many others turned on itself. Only 2 Revolutions/Breaking from a Colonial power did not turn on themselves. The new United States in 1781 to 1800 & Israel after the Jewish State was established with the Jewish Agency forming the rudiments of Government & the Hagannah evolving into the IDF.
    Umm a correction on the US since the US went through a period of three revolutions in specific years. 1776-1783 was the revolution against England. 1778 ended the Continental Congress and the Articles of Confederation took over. In 1789 the Congress of the Confederation ceased to exist as the US federal government under the Constitution replaced it.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Racine View Post
    The French Revolution like many others turned on itself. Only 2 Revolutions/Breaking from a Colonial power did not turn on themselves. The new United States in 1781 to 1800 & Israel after the Jewish State was established with the Jewish Agency forming the rudiments of Government & the Hagannah evolving into the IDF.
    How do you figure? I'd say that the vast majority of revolutions and seccessions have led to the successful formation of a state -- take, for example, the Glorious Revolution in England, or the secession of India from the British Empire, or the Russian Revolution in 1917 -- all led to new, stable and unique nations at the time. Furthermore, the French Revolution led to the establishment of the first French Empire under Napoleon, which carried with it the fiery brand of Republicanism, which then managed to spread to all corners of the world, some of which it still inhabits today. I'd say the French Revolution was one of the most radically successful in history.

    So I guess I'm asking, what the hell do you mean?

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-04-10 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    588

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    How do you figure? I'd say that the vast majority of revolutions and seccessions have led to the successful formation of a state -- take, for example, the Glorious Revolution in England, or the secession of India from the British Empire, or the Russian Revolution in 1917 -- all led to new, stable and unique nations at the time. Furthermore, the French Revolution led to the establishment of the first French Empire under Napoleon, which carried with it the fiery brand of Republicanism, which then managed to spread to all corners of the world, some of which it still inhabits today. I'd say the French Revolution was one of the most radically successful in history.

    So I guess I'm asking, what the hell do you mean?
    What I mean is that YOU obviously have selective amnesia OR more likely that 1917 upheaval is so precious in your mind that you cover it with other presumably similar events. By your Avatar I think you may be a John Reed admirer or close to it.

  7. #157
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Racine View Post
    Some of those indigenous "People of Color" that White Liberals can't see as other Flawed potentially corrupt Human beings. This bunch was particularly Nasty.
    So let me make sure I understand your argument:

    1. Columbus and his crew massacred, raped, and kidnapped countless Native Americans 500 years ago.
    2. A completely different group of Native Americans did something bad to a completely different group of people 250 years later.
    3. Therefore, Columbus deserves to be celebrated.

    Epic logic fail.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-12-10 at 10:35 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #158
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    No doubt-those most likely to bash Columbus or the holiday are the ones who are hyper critical of America and her greatness. Columbus is merely a symbol or effigy for America as the left sees her.



  9. #159
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    No doubt-those most likely to bash Columbus or the holiday are the ones who are hyper critical of America and her greatness.
    "Bash Columbus"? It's one thing to say that we should have a holiday because he's part of history or he changed the world or yada yada, but are you honestly going to say that he DOESN'T deserve to be bashed? He was human trash. The fact that you are apologizing for a greedy, genocidal rapist is ****ing disgusting.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    Columbus is merely a symbol or effigy for America as the left sees her.
    I understand that you see it as the mission of conservatives to be dicks to the world for no reason (it IS possible to be a conservative without also being an ass), but I would guess that even many of your fellow conservatives would disagree with your adoration of Columbus, regardless of their stance on Columbus Day as a holiday.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-12-10 at 10:47 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #160
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Does Christopher Columbus deserve a holiday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    "Bash Columbus"? It's one thing to say that we should have a holiday because he's part of history or he changed the world or yada yada, but are you honestly going to say that he DOESN'T deserve to be bashed? He was human trash. The fact that you are apologizing for a greedy, genocidal rapist is ****ing disgusting.



    I understand that you see it as the mission of conservatives to be dicks to the world for no reason (it IS possible to be a conservative without also being an ass), but I would guess that even many of your fellow conservatives would disagree with your adoration of Columbus, regardless of their stance on Columbus Day as a holiday.
    Thanks for proving my point. WTF cares about Columbus and all the panty wetting over him having a holiday is pathetic. But you do prove that those who rant about CC having a Holiday are generally the same American citizens who whine about America.

    As I noted, CC is merely a surrogate for america in the eyes of the America bashers



Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •