View Poll Results: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Welfare

    29 42.65%
  • The Elite Corporate

    25 36.76%
  • The Unions

    6 8.82%
  • OTHER / I Dont Know

    8 11.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The unions. They are thugs who try to suck power and money away in the name of "standing up for the working class." They care about power, not about workers and the economy. Look at the American Auto Worker's Union. They are destroying America's Auto companies and refusing to compromise on benefits and pay (as it is, their pay and benefits is crazy). Also, look at the New Jersey teachers union, during economic times they refuse to take a temporary pay freeze and give around 1% of their salary to their benefits. Unions are the greatest economic evil among the 3.

    The Detroit Free Press reported that G.M.’s deal with the union called for 40 percent second-tier wage earners at Lake Orion, a percentage that’s considerably higher than the 25 percent allowed under terms of an agreement that goes into effect in 2015. Second-tier earners would make only about half of what the other hourly workers earn.
    G.M. has not verified those numbers, but Ms. Normandin said that negotiations resulted in “a very, very competitive agreement.”
    Garry Bernath, assistant director for the U.A.W. , said the union recognized that flexibility and cost improvement were paramount to keeping jobs in Michigan and the United States. “Competing in the global marketplace is critical to success,” he said.
    A number of speakers at the Lake Orion press conference hailed the union agreement as a first for the auto industry in that it would make it possible to build small cars profitably in Michigan. Lake Orion Township and Oakland County also made concessions that helped convince the company to choose the Orion plant over other contenders.


    G.M. to Build Small Cars in Lake Orion Plant - NYTimes.com
    It seems the Unions are adjusting to the times fairly quickly.

  2. #22
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Corporations are the worst, not because they are actually more evil, but simply because they have more power and can cause more damage. Sort of like how a violent sociopath with a gun is worse than a violent sociopath with a knife.

  3. #23
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Corporations are the worst, not because they are actually more evil, but simply because they have more power and can cause more damage. Sort of like how a violent sociopath with a gun is worse than a violent sociopath with a knife.
    really? government has the most power so welfare-which is a government program must be the most evil.

    and a psycho with a knife can kill silently.



  4. #24
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    really? government has the most power so welfare-which is a government program must be the most evil.
    Except the government is the one giving the money away, not benefiting from it. The welfare recipients are fairly weak. Corporations and unions have both considerable power and the ability to use that power to enrich themselves. I still wouldn't use the term evil, as I am judging based on who causes the most damage not on moral intent.

    and a psycho with a knife can kill silently.
    True, and unions sometimes can cause more harm than corporations. However, for the most part guns can cause more destruction than knives and corporations can cause more harm than unions.

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    --There are those that say welfare is laziness and sucking on the teet of the government.
    I disagree. Most of the time, those who are making this claim are on some form of government welfare themselves. They typically just don't think of it as welfare. I think there is a lot of latent racism in debates on welfare; I've noticed that generally speaking, many white conservatives only think of a program as "welfare" if the primary recipients of it are minorities.

    In any case, I don't think that most welfare recipients are lazy. Many people are temporarily laid off work, impoverished for reasons beyond their control (or only indirectly within their control), or hard at work at jobs that simply don't pay enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle
    --There are those that say corporate head honchos that earn over $175,000 a year that do little actual work and basically just show up for thier job on occasion is a crime. These people make sure the company is profitable generally at the expense of the "little guy".
    I don't think so. Most corporations are motivated predominantly by turning a profit, which is fine. That's their reason for existing. While profit motives don't always coincide with social well-being, they very often do. There are some specific companies and industries where I am appalled by the shocking lack of ethics, justified by higher profits...but in general they are exceptions, not the rule. Most companies provide their workers with fair wages and their consumers with fair prices; if they didn't, market forces would bankrupt them.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle
    --There are those who say the Unions that milk tax payers or corporations for more and more, thus making that company less and less efficient are the cancer in America.
    Yes. I can't stand unions...especially public sector unions. They are essentially anti-competitive monopolies on labor. They all make their organizations less efficient and profitable, and some of them go beyond that and actually harm the public good. The teachers' unions (lobbying to make it impossible to fire incompetent teachers) and the prison guards' unions (lobbying for tougher criminal penalties so they can employ more prison guards) are absolutely disgusting organizations.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Free trade the worst evil- Economic warfare! The fight is on to save America from with in!

  7. #27
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    For everyone who says Unions, Trade unions in South Africa - SouthAfrica.info

    I was watching Fareed Zakaria, and he had an analyst on discussing South African unions. Quite literally, the unions are so monopolized that they are paralyzing the South African labor markets.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #28
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Except the government is the one giving the money away, not benefiting from it. The welfare recipients are fairly weak. Corporations and unions have both considerable power and the ability to use that power to enrich themselves. I still wouldn't use the term evil, as I am judging based on who causes the most damage not on moral intent.



    True, and unions sometimes can cause more harm than corporations. However, for the most part guns can cause more destruction than knives and corporations can cause more harm than unions.
    politiicans get power by being elected to office so by giving OUR money away they gain power. Look at the wealth Bill Clinton and Obama have amassed from being president. Or Al Gore Sr-who used to brag about being a poor country teacher



  9. #29
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The unions. They are thugs who try to suck power and money away in the name of "standing up for the working class." They care about power, not about workers and the economy. Look at the American Auto Worker's Union. They are destroying America's Auto companies and refusing to compromise on benefits and pay (as it is, their pay and benefits is crazy). Also, look at the New Jersey teachers union, during economic times they refuse to take a temporary pay freeze and give around 1% of their salary to their benefits. Unions are the greatest economic evil among the 3.
    I am not a big fan of unions however at least in the case of the auto companies, executives at the corporations as responsible for the pay and benefits that the unions are receiving. They made bad decisions contingent on continued company growth that didn't happen. instead of standing up to the unions they caved. I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.
    From the ashes.

  10. #30
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Which Economic Evil is Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Corporations are the worst, not because they are actually more evil, but simply because they have more power and can cause more damage. Sort of like how a violent sociopath with a gun is worse than a violent sociopath with a knife.
    You think that corporations have more power than the government?
    From the ashes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •