View Poll Results: Should min wage be removed?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 31.46%
  • No

    61 68.54%
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 289

Thread: Should min wage be removed?

  1. #81
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You remove the min. wage, and that just puts more people on welfare, and similar programs. I really can't think of a worse idea.
    How do you figure when without a doubt minimum wage leaves more people out of work? It was my understanding that a man without a job is much more likely to be on welfare than a man who has a job.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #82
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Is it really worth $7.25/hr to ask "want fries with that"?
    I guess that's why Jack in the Box is starting to use machine cashiers. Those things are horrendous, I'd rather pay for the cashier.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #83
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I guess that's why Jack in the Box is starting to use machine cashiers. Those things are horrendous, I'd rather pay for the cashier.
    why do you think walmart, home depot, lowes, etc, etc, etc started replacing some of its cashiers with those "self checkout" aisles?

    companies are in business to make money. if you raise the minimum wage, companies will find a way to still make the same money. either by increasing cost to the consumer (which defeats the purpose of paying people more) or by reducing expenses by eliminating employees.

    either way, those who suffer the most are the very ones the minimum wage increase is "supposed" to help.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    How do you figure when without a doubt minimum wage leaves more people out of work? It was my understanding that a man without a job is much more likely to be on welfare than a man who has a job.
    A person making $0, and a person making $2.50 are still going to be on welfare in this country.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #85
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    either way, those who suffer the most are the very ones the minimum wage increase is "supposed" to help.
    And consumers suffer, while small businesses cannot stand the increased cost of business forcing them out and increasing the market share of large businesses. And all the while government looks good.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #86
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    A person making $0, and a person making $2.50 are still going to be on welfare in this country.
    At least the person making $2.50 an hour is producing goods and so lowering costs for consumers. The one making $0 is a total drain on the country.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #87
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You did no such thing. The only thing you showed was to back up my statement that the price of a hamburger rose in relation to minimum wage.
    I see you cannot understand simple calculations.

    Now lets take a look at your original statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Did minimum wage actually help the unskilled worker in order to afford a basic food product? No, because it costs roughly the same percentage as it did under the old minimum wage.
    Hrm, since the cost of a burget was a smaller portion of a person's paycheck, this statement would be wrong.

  8. #88
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Hrm, since the cost of a burget was a smaller portion of a person's paycheck, this statement would be wrong.
    Doesn't your argument assume that worker wages will go up and ignore the fact that more people will be unemployed after minimum wage goes into effect?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #89
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Doesn't your argument assume that worker wages will go up and ignore the fact that more people will be unemployed after minimum wage goes into effect?
    I was basing my argument on raw hourly wages with nothing else factored in.

    However, if you have a calculations for those who would get laid off during a wage increase, I would be happy to factor it in.

  10. #90
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    double the minimum wage. what is the most likely scenario?

    a. the company absorbs the hit and deals with its labor cost doubling

    b. the company "lays off" half its employees and requires the remaining half to work twice as hard

    c. the company lays of some percentage of employees and raises the cost to consumer to make up the difference
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •