View Poll Results: Should min wage be removed?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 31.46%
  • No

    61 68.54%
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 289

Thread: Should min wage be removed?

  1. #221
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    They stop demanding when, for whatever reason, they can't afford to buy the product...current not so popular reasons, recession, unemployment, etc.
    You answered for me in the part about "getting paid". No money, no buying....oh wait, I forgot credit cards, but that is a different issue...
    Who wouldn't have the money to buy any products?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #222
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Who wouldn't have the money to buy any products?
    correct, further worsening the circle of misery....it isn't as simple as one group of workers at one factory making one product....everything overlaps....but you knew that..
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #223
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Who wouldn't have the money to buy any products?
    wait, 2 ways interpret your post....
    Who won't have money to buy any products? Very few, probably, but essential products may be the only products selling, and that part of the economy is stable. non essentials are where the big money is...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #224
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    define that-if it means a city enticing a company to relocate or build a new factory in that city in return for tax breaks that is really a quid pro quo that the city sees as benefiting its citizens and I don't have a problem with that. its like a city without a pro football team telling a football team that it will build the team a state of the art arena if the team locates in the city.

    the problem is that corporate welfare can mean far more things than welfare given to the untalented or the unproductive and can have some very positive outcomes for the society.
    The problem is that these companies routinely get the tax breaks, then only provide a fraction of the jobs they agree to. The cities are either too scared or too stupid to revoke the break and should definitely do so.

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The problem is that these companies routinely get the tax breaks, then only provide a fraction of the jobs they agree to. The cities are either too scared or too stupid to revoke the break and should definitely do so.
    Yeah, what is it. Like most big corporations only pay like 7% in taxes a year....I think.

  6. #226
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    correct, further worsening the circle of misery....it isn't as simple as one group of workers at one factory making one product....everything overlaps....but you knew that..
    Your argument makes no sense. I mean, if minimum wage was so important so that if it was gotten rid of people wouldn't have the money to buy things, then why are people making many times over the minimum wage? I mean, wages don't just go to 0, so what is keeping them up?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #227
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    wait, 2 ways interpret your post....
    Who won't have money to buy any products? Very few, probably, but essential products may be the only products selling, and that part of the economy is stable. non essentials are where the big money is...
    This all makes no sense. How would getting rid of minimum wage cause this?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #228
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    This all makes no sense. How would getting rid of minimum wage cause this?
    I am saying, clearly I think, that MW is a very small insignificant factor in economics....it has been boosted several times, and people never stopped buying burgers and fries...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #229
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The problem is that these companies routinely get the tax breaks, then only provide a fraction of the jobs they agree to. The cities are either too scared or too stupid to revoke the break and should definitely do so.
    really? so the other side doesn't enforce its part of the bargain? sounds like a failure of government, not an argument against corporations. I will let you in on a big secret. If you can bargain from a position of power you tend to get good deals. If you can throw a 106 MPH fast ball accurately you are gonna force whomever signs you to a ML contract to pay you a heck of alot of money. If you can sell out every arena you play in your can charge more for a ticket than a has been or never been act. If you can guarantee your appearance in a film means it will gross 400 million dollars you are going to get paid alot of money. and if you can move 100,000 jobs if you relocate your business you are going to get far better terms than a mom and pop diner when it comes to tax breaks

    that's the way the world works. I realize reality often clashes with what liberals want the world to be. but the fact is, If I own a major corporation and the city where I am located won't give me terms as good as say another one, I will move because I have a duty to make my shareholders money



  10. #230
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Should min wage be removed?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The problem is that these companies routinely get the tax breaks, then only provide a fraction of the jobs they agree to. The cities are either too scared or too stupid to revoke the break and should definitely do so.
    Would you like to explain the details of these agreements?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •