View Poll Results: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    17 32.69%
  • No

    35 67.31%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 127

Thread: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

  1. #51
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    I think coverage of a candidate is more important than funding. Chris Christie was at a great disadvantage to Jon Corzine when he ran for governor. Corzine, former CEO of Goldman Sachs, had millions of his own money to spend. Christie got the coverage and had a message NJ liked and thus defeated Corzine. I wouldn't move to federally funded campaigns. Why should a party with the support of a hundred people earn the same as a party with the support of a million? Third parties are at a huge disadvantage, but to make it even would require repealing the laws that disadvantage them. They already have so many loopholes to jump through if they wish to be elected, it is no wonder Republicans and Democrats dominate politics in the U.S.
    Last edited by Helvidius; 09-30-10 at 03:57 PM.
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    There would be no advantage in it as their opponent would automatically get the same benefit.
    Which opponent?
    I'm not so sure that I could believe that a Libertarian or Socialist party member would get the same level of funding.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If politicians were actually accountable to the people, than they would have more motivation to do their jobs for the benefit of (all) people instead of a few advantaged groups.
    Yes and no.
    A lot of things politicians have done wrong, is because they did what the people wanted.
    We've held off on reforming Social Security and Medicare because a sect of "the people" get mad and will reliably vote out these politicians.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #53
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I think we should enact Trial by Combat in which we put the two candidates in a kiddie pool of KY and a single pool cue as the weapon and whoever gets out alive wins the election. It's the way God wants it to be. It's in the Bible. Somewhere.
    That's awesome.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #54
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Third parties are at a huge disadvantage, but to make it even would require repealing the laws that disadvantage them. They already have so many loopholes to jump through if they wish to be elected it is no wonder Republicans and Democrats dominate politics in the U.S.
    Third parties aren't at a disadvantage because of campaign financing. Third parties are at a disadvantage because of our plurality voting system. This is called Duverger's Law.

    Duverger's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #55
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Which opponent?
    I'm not so sure that I could believe that a Libertarian or Socialist party member would get the same level of funding.
    Any other contending political party and I would prefer that they all get the same funding if they can meet some reasonable minimum requirements or are the top 10 (or some other number) most popular parties.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Yes and no.
    A lot of things politicians have done wrong, is because they did what the people wanted.
    We get the country we deserve in many ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    We've held off on reforming Social Security and Medicare because a sect of "the people" get mad and will reliably vote out these politicians.
    So you think some special interest will come along and fix this problem? Its going to happen anyway.

  6. #56
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't believe in corporate person hood but typically people who argue against corporate special interests are only talking about one kind of corporation, businesses.
    It's often a veiled form of class warfare.

    Not often do we talk about banning charities, unions and the like from the category of special interests.
    So that and another indulgent reason, is why I'm supporting it in this debate.
    All special interest including Unions or what have you should be banned. The only thing that should be influencing the voter base is the policies. The rest of your argument regarding class warfare is nothing but an attempt to paint me in a corner. You could argue that libertarians are obsessed with destroying the middle class.. class warfear**.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Any other contending political party and I would prefer that they all get the same funding if they can meet some reasonable minimum requirements or are the top 10 (or some other number) most popular parties.
    That would be fair to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    We get the country we deserve in many ways.
    Totally agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    So you think some special interest will come along and fix this problem? Its going to happen anyway.
    I feel kinda scorned and bitter, at times, about this.
    I'd like to call it, "You reap what you sow."
    (Not you specifically.)
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #58
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Third parties aren't at a disadvantage because of campaign financing. Third parties are at a disadvantage because of our plurality voting system. This is called Duverger's Law.

    Duverger's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, that is one problem. Other include requirements put on third parties just to be eligible to run. I think in Florida a party needs something like 200,000 signatures to be eligible in an election.
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  9. #59
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    People can often carry a much different political agenda then their employers, it most certainly be regarded in that manner. Corporations are like mini collectives and in no way should libertarians be supportive of these groups that are supposed to be subject to the market. The donations should be capped so I agree with your statement. A small number of individuals should not have more influence on collectively elected representatives to the extent they are. The difference is how much can be contributed. I don't see anything wrong with making a 3k contribution from individuals the cap and allocating a limited amount from the public purse for advertising to ballot representatives.
    So corporations can pay other individuals +3K to give 3K to a certain candidate and keep the rest for their trouble?

  10. #60
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Yes, that is one problem. Other include requirements put on third parties just to be eligible to run. I think in Florida a party needs something like 200,000 signatures to be eligible in an election.
    Plurality voting isn't "one problem" for third party candidates. It is the problem. Allow transferable voting for third party candidates and people will start voting for them. What's more, those third party votes will actually start to count.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •