View Poll Results: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    17 32.69%
  • No

    35 67.31%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127

Thread: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

  1. #31
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Soviet Technate
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    359

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I agree but I don't see any benefit from federally funded elections, the politicians will still listen to "special interests" for future promises of cushy jobs after retirement.

    Don't forget either, that all voters have agendas and special interests, even if they are undeveloped and sophomoric they still exist.
    That could be the case, but it does eliminate one avenue of influence. That you cannot get them all, doesn't mean you shouldn't make it harder. Public funding prevents funding targeted specifically to one candidate as a bribe. It also balances out economic foundations for all candidates, so one doesn't have a huge warchest advantage because a corporation likes him.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    At least they are special interest that are actual constituents. Corporations profit agenda should not be able to hold your elected representatives subject to their agenda.
    The people who are members of the corporations are still constituents.
    Who's to say what they want is always wrong?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Technocratic View Post
    That could be the case, but it does eliminate one avenue of influence. That you cannot get them all, doesn't mean you shouldn't make it harder. Public funding prevents funding targeted specifically to one candidate as a bribe. It also balances out economic foundations for all candidates, so one doesn't have a huge warchest advantage because a corporation likes him.
    I see this as a way to increase incumbency and 2 party control.
    There are unintended consequences from things like this.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The people who are members of the corporations are still constituents.
    Who's to say what they want is always wrong?
    No.. these corporations are not in any way representative of their employees necessarily in any way. Corporations are not individuals.. Hard to believe I am fighting with a libertarian about what an individual is.

  5. #35
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Will every election be federally funded? Governors, state legislatures, mayors, etc?
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  6. #36
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Soviet Technate
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    359

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I see this as a way to increase incumbency and 2 party control.
    There are unintended consequences from things like this.
    How exactly would equalizing funds and mandating formal debate for everyone encourage incumbency? We already have high incumbency anyway. I doubt it would be much different. Apathy helps keep people in office.

  7. #37
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Will every election be federally funded? Governors, state legislatures, mayors, etc?
    Why not with smaller budgets? Considering how much all this corporate interference in government has costs the public the expenditure would look small by comparison.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    No.. these corporations are not in any way representative of their employees necessarily in any way. Corporations are not individuals.. Hard to believe I am fighting with a libertarian about what an individual is.
    Individuals make up a corporation, some of them agree with the way the corporation is lobbying.
    Why should they be represented less?

    It's some kind of ax you have to grind with libertarians, sounds like a personal problem to me.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Technocratic View Post
    How exactly would equalizing funds and mandating formal debate for everyone encourage incumbency? We already have high incumbency anyway. I doubt it would be much different. Apathy helps keep people in office.
    I don't believe the debate will be anything but the superficial, softball fest we've had now.
    Funding would flow to whomever Congress wanted to, basically all the incumbent parties and individuals.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Should America move to federally financed political campaigns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Individuals make up a corporation, some of them agree with the way the corporation is lobbying.
    Why should they be represented less?

    It's some kind of ax you have to grind with libertarians, sounds like a personal problem to me.
    Only that libertarians are becoming corporate apologists in all this. You make excuses for government to be corrupted by big business instead of government being focused on policy and it comes off as terribly hypocritical. If you are a libertarian that supports the tea party you have been completely scammed. Libertarianism is not about government being controlled and manipulated by corporate interest.. or is that some new thing?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •