View Poll Results: Are White People an oppressed minority in America?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    135 71.43%
  • No

    53 28.04%
  • Dunno

    1 0.53%
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 295

Thread: Are White People an oppressed minority?

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Wow....



    I have already answered, although you cannot accpet it. What you are failing to consider is that minority students are already at a disadvantage, as my source indicates.
    The minority kids you go to prep schools are disadvantaged- How? what makes people so annoyed with the special status some get is the intellectual dishonesty that some have to use to try and justify it.

    Try this. Have the SAME kid apply to an Ivy League school. On one application he marks the white box on another the monority box. Does one application have a greater chance of acceptance?

  2. #112
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Did you read anything in the research study?

    You set up a bull**** scenario that does not pertain to reality. In "make-believe" land, where college acceptance is based on grades/test scores, then yes, non-minority students are at a disadvantage when trying to get into the school of choice.

    However, this is not how it happens here in reality, and therefore your argument is entirely useless.
    have you ever applied to a college? every college/university I have ever heard of requires students to take some kind of standardized test (ACT, SAT, etc) for admission, if you don't score above a certain level YOU ARE NOT ADMITTED. if you are truely so ignorant that you think college acceptance isn't based on grades then there is no further point in even talking to you. good-bye
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #113
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Try this. Have the SAME kid apply to an Ivy League school. On one application he marks the white box on another the monority box. Does one application have a greater chance of acceptance?
    If everything else is equal, then yes...the minority will have a greater chance of acceptance because those liberal Ivy league schools love to showcase their "diversity"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    have you ever applied to a college? every college/university I have ever heard of requires students to take some kind of standardized test (ACT, SAT, etc) for admission, if you don't score above a certain level YOU ARE NOT ADMITTED. if you are truely so ignorant that you think college acceptance isn't based on grades then there is no further point in even talking to you. good-bye
    To be fair they make exceptions so as to add to diversity. I was accepted to a university and i was not anywhere near the ACT/SAT level they normally ADMITTED to.

  5. #115
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This isn't really true. The vast majority of schools do not conduct personal interviews, and essays mean very little compared to grades, test scores and other factors.

    If you want to see the impact of race on acceptances, look at the system that was (on paper) struck down in Gratz v. Bollinger. UMich used a fairly strict number system where students were assigned points based on various factors. If the student scored >100 out of 150, they were generally admitted, 89-99 was generally held and admitted, <75 was rejected, etc.

    In that system, a perfect SAT score was worth 12 points. Being a member of an underrepresented minority was worth 20 points, as was being poor or playing D1 sports. Being a legacy was worth 4 points and "outstanding essays" were worth 3 points.
    So in that case, being a Innuit applying to UMich, coming from a family making $12K a year who plays NCAA Division 1 baseball with an SAT of Critical Reading: 400, Mathematics: 505 and Writing: 400 would have a greater chance of being accepted than a caucasian male, no legacy standing, perfect SAT, chess club member going for an Physics degree. Or better yet, a poor white caucasian with the exact same SAT and Division 1 standings would still get passed over - simply because he was white. Sounds like discrimination to me.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #116
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This isn't really true. The vast majority of schools do not conduct personal interviews, and essays mean very little compared to grades, test scores and other factors.
    In acceptance competitive schools, essays and interviews are the norm.

    If you want to see the impact of race on acceptances, look at the system that was (on paper) struck down in Gratz v. Bollinger. UMich used a fairly strict number system where students were assigned points based on various factors. If the student scored >100 out of 150, they were generally admitted, 89-99 was generally held and admitted, <75 was rejected, etc.

    In that system, a perfect SAT score was worth 12 points. Being a member of an underrepresented minority was worth 20 points, as was being poor or playing D1 sports. Being a legacy was worth 4 points and "outstanding essays" were worth 3 points.
    I agree that the point system was flawed, as your article states, the law school "admitted virtually every minimally qualified underrepresented minority applicant."
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #117
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    To be fair they make exceptions so as to add to diversity. I was accepted to a university and i was not anywhere near the ACT/SAT level they normally ADMITTED to.

    which is my point. If you are a minority, you have an ADVANTAGE (listening GB?) when applying to schools because many times they will lower the requirements to let you in for the sake of diversity.

    It happens at predominately minority schools as well. My brother (white guy) got his master's degree from Alabama A&M (traditionally black college) paid for with a "minority scholarship"

    because he was a white guy attending a black college he had an ADVANTAGE due to his race.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #118
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    have you ever applied to a college? every college/university I have ever heard of requires students to take some kind of standardized test (ACT, SAT, etc) for admission, if you don't score above a certain level YOU ARE NOT ADMITTED. if you are truely so ignorant that you think college acceptance isn't based on grades then there is no further point in even talking to you. good-bye
    That isn't true. SATs mean very little when it comes to college applications now. It is more focused on grades and what you as a person can bring to the school.

  9. #119
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I agree that the point system was flawed, as your article states, the law school "admitted virtually every minimally qualified underrepresented minority applicant."
    and you don't think that gave them an advantage over non-minority applicants?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #120
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    That isn't true. SATs mean very little when it comes to college applications now. It is more focused on grades and what you as a person can bring to the school.
    I guess it depends on the school. because both of my older kids started college within the last 5 years and every college they applied to had a minimum ACT or SAT score for admission.

    Many years ago when I applied to (and FWIW was accepted to) MIT, they had a minimum ACT score for admission.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •