View Poll Results: Are White People an oppressed minority in America?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    135 71.43%
  • No

    53 28.04%
  • Dunno

    1 0.53%
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 295

Thread: Are White People an oppressed minority?

  1. #101
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is a ridiculus argument....
    in other words you don't have the intellectual honesty/integrity to answer it. got it, thanks.

    Therefore, preferential treatment does not impact a truly able person’s ability to go to a good school, and does not give them a competitive disadvantage.
    the converse could also be argued. a "truely able" minority has no need of preferential treatment. so why the difference in standards?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #102
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    in other words you don't have the intellectual honesty/integrity to answer it. got it, thanks.
    You set up a bull**** scenario based strictly on SAT/GPA. If that was how colleges select applicants, then yes, you are correct, it does give non-minorities with great SAT/GPA credentials a disadvantage in getting accepted by your first choice college.

    However, this is not reality, and therefore your argument is entirely useless.

    the converse could also be argued. a "truely able" minority has no need of preferential treatment. so why the difference in standards?
    I take it you did not bother reading the quality research study; otherwise such a lame comment would never have been made.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #103
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You set up a bull**** scenario based strictly on SAT/GPA. If that was how colleges select applicants, then yes, you are correct, it does give non-minorities with great SAT/GPA credentials a disadvantage in getting accepted by your first choice college.

    However, this is not reality, and therefore your argument is entirely useless.


    I didn't set up any kind of scenario. I asked a simple question which you refuse to answer. SAT/GPA credential have nothing to do with it.

    so, once again.

    All other factors being equal, does or does not giving one person preferential treatment based solely on race give that person an advantage?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #104
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I didn't set up any kind of scenario. I asked a simple question which you refuse to answer. SAT/GPA credential have nothing to do with it.so, once again.

    All other factors being equal, does or does not giving one person preferential treatment based solely on race give that person an advantage?
    Wow....

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    assume two kids apply to the same college. one white, one minority they both have the same SAT/ACT/whatever scores. but because the entrance requirement for minorities is lower, the minority kid gets accepted and the white kid gets turned away.

    can you honestly tell me that isn't an advantage?
    I have already answered, although you cannot accpet it. What you are failing to consider is that minority students are already at a disadvantage, as my source indicates.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #105
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Wow....



    I have already answered, although you cannot accpet it. What you are failing to consider is that minority students are already at a disadvantage, as my source indicates.
    No, what I am failing to accept is your presumption that minority students are at a disadvantage because of racism.

    and you haven't answered anything. you have done a nice song and dance but no answer.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #106
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I have already answered, although you cannot accpet it. What you are failing to consider is that minority students are already at a disadvantage, as my source indicates.
    If there's one thing that's been demonstrated is that throwing more money at schools do not make them better nor does it increase learning. You're source didn't provide a definitive - other than saying urban schools depending on the metropolitian area, may have less funding than other comparable schools. But the question you're not answering is still there ---

    Answering something that wasn't asked isn't an answer.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #107
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is a ridiculus argument....

    GPA and SAT tests do not make a particular candidate more appealing to a school; there are other factors involved. That is why it is impossible for you to include the ceteris paribus label to the example, because nobody is completely similar. Personal interviews and essays are equally, if not more, important than high school grades, and they will differ between students who come from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
    This isn't really true. The vast majority of schools do not conduct personal interviews, and essays mean very little compared to grades, test scores and other factors.

    If you want to see the impact of race on acceptances, look at the system that was (on paper) struck down in Gratz v. Bollinger. UMich used a fairly strict number system where students were assigned points based on various factors. If the student scored >100 out of 150, they were generally admitted, 89-99 was generally held and admitted, <75 was rejected, etc.

    In that system, a perfect SAT score was worth 12 points. Being a member of an underrepresented minority was worth 20 points, as was being poor or playing D1 sports. Being a legacy was worth 4 points and "outstanding essays" were worth 3 points.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #108
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post

    Answering something that wasn't asked isn't an answer.
    bingo and thanks.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #109
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This isn't really true. The vast majority of schools do not conduct personal interviews, and essays mean very little compared to grades, test scores and other factors.

    If you want to see the impact of race on acceptances, look at the system that was (on paper) struck down in Gratz v. Bollinger. UMich used a fairly strict number system where students were assigned points based on various factors. If the student scored >100 out of 150, they were generally admitted, 89-99 was generally held and admitted, <75 was rejected, etc.

    In that system, a perfect SAT score was worth 12 points. Being a member of an underrepresented minority was worth 20 points, as was being poor or playing D1 sports. Being a legacy was worth 4 points and "outstanding essays" were worth 3 points.
    seems like an "advantage" to me.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #110
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    No, what I am failing to accept is your presumption that minority students are at a disadvantage because of racism.

    and you haven't answered anything. you have done a nice song and dance but no answer.
    Did you read anything in the research study?

    You set up a bull**** scenario that does not pertain to reality. In "make-believe" land, where college acceptance is based on grades/test scores, then yes, non-minority students are at a disadvantage when trying to get into the school of choice.

    However, this is not how it happens here in reality, and therefore your argument is entirely useless.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •