View Poll Results: Are White People an oppressed minority in America?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    135 71.43%
  • No

    53 28.04%
  • Dunno

    1 0.53%
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 295

Thread: Are White People an oppressed minority?

  1. #91
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you are confusing innate personal qualities with institutionally granted advantage.

    If all other factors are equal and you give one person preference over another based on race or any other arbitrary factor you are, by definition giving that person an advantage.
    That's a term you made up to suit your argument. The reasoning behind such preferential treatment (not your new definition of advantage) is that these students are already disadvantaged to begin with. I am not arguing with the effectiveness of such measures, only that they do not cause oppression (or a competitive disadvantage) among the majority.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #92
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    There are a lot of idiots on the wild wild web.
    evidently sad, victimized white boys.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    That's a term you made up to suit your argument. The reasoning behind such preferential treatment (not your new definition of advantage) is that these students are already disadvantaged to begin with. I am not arguing with the effectiveness of such measures, only that they do not cause oppression (or a competitive disadvantage) among the majority.
    But, are they disadvantaged on the basis of race, or on the basis of cultural differences (i.e., single parent homes, high levels of crime, joining gangs, etc.)? Your claim appears to be that this disadvantage occcurs as a result of racism. I would suggest that it occurs as a result of widespread cultural decisions based upon lifestyle.

    See, I think we've come to a point in time where the primary issue in being disadvantaged is not RACE. It is cultural factors, such as having children out of wedlock, engaging in criminal activity, having families that are disorganized and disrupted, and not actively participating in educational pursuits.

    I laugh at the idea that blacks are being held back solely by racism. That's not the issue.

    But I also laugh at the idea of whites being oppressed. poor babies.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 09-30-10 at 03:45 PM.

  4. #94
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yes, but spending dollars on administration versus sending those dollars to the classroom/libraries/computers are local, site-based decisions, made by predominantly black administrators.

    Your claim was wrong...own it. It is not a spending gap. The GAO report confirms this.

    somehow the data just keeps coming back to the conclusion that blacks are responsible for black problems. instead of whining and crying racism, maybe they need to look more inward and see what THEY need to do to fix their own problems. this isn't the 1950s anymore, there is no "institutional" racism keeping them down.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    somehow the data just keeps coming back to the conclusion that blacks are responsible for black problems. instead of whining and crying racism, maybe they need to look more inward and see what THEY need to do to fix their own problems. this isn't the 1950s anymore, there is no "institutional" racism keeping them down.
    Some of the biggest obstacles to black achievement are criminally incompetent local politicians, schools that are not held accountable to provide adequate educatioanl services to students, and lifestyle choices (not attending school, not being engaged in their children's education, and not postponing having children).

  6. #96
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    That's a term you made up to suit your argument. The reasoning behind such preferential treatment (not your new definition of advantage) is that these students are already disadvantaged to begin with. I am not arguing with the effectiveness of such measures, only that they do not cause oppression (or a competitive disadvantage) among the majority.
    please stop the quibbling and answer one simple question:

    If all other factors are equal, does giving one person preference over another based on race constitute an advantage for the prefered person? (think long and hard and consider historical trends before you answer)
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #97
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Some of the biggest obstacles to black achievement are criminally incompetent local politicians, schools that are not held accountable to provide adequate educatioanl services to students, and lifestyle choices (not attending school, not being engaged in their children's education, and not postponing having children).
    exactly and in black communities who elects the local politicians?, who elects/appoints the school administrators, who makes the lifestyle choices? black people, that's who
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    exactly and in black communities who elects the local politicians?, who elects/appoints the school administrators, who makes the lifestyle choices? black people, that's who
    Yep. It's very disheartening for do-gooders like me.

  9. #99
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yes, but spending dollars on administration versus sending those dollars to the classroom/libraries/computers are local, site-based decisions, made by predominantly black administrators. :shrug

    Your claim was wrong...own it. It is not a spending gap. The GAO report confirms this.
    You are holding the funding needs constant; a flaw in your "statistical analysis" . The needs of inner city schools are different than suburban schools on the basis of literacy ages, after school demand, etc.... Therefore, i stand behind my statement of underfunding because of the differentials between child development, parent involvement, crowding, etc....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #100
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Are White People an oppressed minority?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    please stop the quibbling and answer one simple question:

    If all other factors are equal, does giving one person preference over another based on race constitute an advantage for the prefered person? (think long and hard and consider historical trends before you answer)
    This is a ridiculus argument....

    GPA and SAT tests do not make a particular candidate more appealing to a school; there are other factors involved. That is why it is impossible for you to include the ceteris paribus label to the example, because nobody is completely similar. Personal interviews and essays are equally, if not more, important than high school grades, and they will differ between students who come from different socioeconomic backgrounds.

    Therefore, preferential treatment does not impact a truly able person’s ability to go to a good school, and does not give them a competitive disadvantage.

    Not sure if you are interested, but there is some serious analysis regarding college acceptance: college acceptance

    This result is magnified at the most selective 4-year colleges, where the affirmative action ban is predicted to result in reduced minority representation by 10.2%
    Hence, minorities are already at a competitive disadvantage.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •