View Poll Results: Where do you stand on legal immigration?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should close our borders to skilled immigrants

    1 3.33%
  • We should reduce the amount of skilled immigration

    0 0%
  • We should maintain the amount of skilled immigration

    9 30.00%
  • We should increase the amount of skilled immigration

    15 50.00%
  • We should open our borders to skilled immigrants

    13 43.33%
  • We should close our borders to unskilled immigrants

    9 30.00%
  • We should reduce the amount of unskilled immigration

    9 30.00%
  • We should maintain the amount of unskilled immigration

    3 10.00%
  • We should increase the amount of unskilled immigration

    6 20.00%
  • We should open our borders to unskilled immigrants

    6 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 83

Thread: Legal immigration

  1. #51
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Legal immigration

    So those that are educated are more worthy? Stupid Idea! I would rather give and help someone poor a better life over someone who is already educated and should be able to figure out how the hell to get and stay inside this country in a legal fashion
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #52
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The people who constantly complain about illegal immigration are always quick to claim that they are not xenophobic, and are only motivated by a deep concern for the law. Curiously, these people never seem to advocate for easier LEGAL immigration processes...so I thought I'd make a thread to find out where everyone stands on legal immigration. Do we have too much? Not enough?

    I think it's a travesty that after our universities educate foreign students, that we kick them out of the country unless they go through the onerous process of finding an employer who is willing to sponsor them for a work visa. This is completely ridiculous. Educated foreigners are not going to live off welfare; they are going to create value and add jobs to the economy. IMO, we should have almost completely open our borders for anyone with a bachelor's degree or higher, as long as there isn't any reason (e.g. crimes, communicable diseases) to keep them out.
    You need to be careful about being absolute in what you say. Our legal red tape is not an excuse for breaking the law. On the other hand, we don't open the borders for criminals with PhDs.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #53
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    So those that are educated are more worthy? Stupid Idea! I would rather give and help someone poor a better life
    There is no reason we can't do both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali
    over someone who is already educated
    Except in the case of skilled immigrants, you don't even have to "give" them anything at all, you just need to let them come here and do their thing. They are hugely beneficial for the US economy, so why not accept as many of them as would like to come?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali
    and should be able to figure out how the hell to get and stay inside this country in a legal fashion
    Huh? We're talking about legal immigration.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-03-10 at 10:48 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You need to be careful about being absolute in what you say. Our legal red tape is not an excuse for breaking the law. On the other hand, we don't open the borders for criminals with PhDs.
    Obviously there are exceptions. But aside from the occasional disqualifying trait (e.g. criminal records, links to terrorism, communicable diseases), I don't see any reason not to completely open our borders to skilled immigrants from all around the world.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Legal immigration

    My thoughts on immigration in general are that the bigger issues have to do with assimilation. We are a melting pot society, and we benefit from being one, but if our attitudes change and the flow of immigrants ever becomes such that we become Balkanized as a result, then immigration is a detriment rather than contributing to our society.

    What matters to me is that people coming here want to be Americans.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #56
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    You still haven't explained why having too many educated people from one country is a bad thing.
    Competition with the locally educated population will drive down wages. The easier a worker can be replaced the less value they have.Immigration legal or illegal should not ever be used as a tool to devalue wages. Also if you create an excess of a highly educated labor pool alot of these people will be forced to take jobs below their field of education creating employers who expect college degrees just to flip burger, or cashier or some other job that usually just requires a high-school diploma.

    I'll wait while you think of a non-racist reason.
    I have never given a racist reason for anything regarding the legal and illegal immigration debate. I guess since pro-illegals and open borders people do not have a leg to stand on you have to resort to screaming racist like a little kid who can't who can not get his way.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #57
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Competition with the locally educated population will drive down wages. The easier a worker can be replaced the less value they have.Immigration legal or illegal should not ever be used as a tool to devalue wages. Also if you create an excess of a highly educated labor pool alot of these people will be forced to take jobs below their field of education creating employers who expect college degrees just to flip burger, or cashier or some other job that usually just requires a high-school diploma.
    That is not how the labor market works. There is not a fixed amount of work to be done, and more immigrants does not mean slicing the pie thinner. Importing skilled workers means that we will have jobs that stay in this country when they otherwise would be forced to go overseas. Importing skilled workers means that there is more potential for more skilled labor positions. And importing skilled workers means that we have more potential business-starters in the country, who could employ other people in the future.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #58
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That is not how the labor market works. There is not a fixed amount of work to be done, and more immigrants does not mean slicing the pie thinner. Importing skilled workers means that we will have jobs that stay in this country when they otherwise would be forced to go overseas. Importing skilled workers means that there is more potential for more skilled labor positions. And importing skilled workers means that we have more potential business-starters in the country, who could employ other people in the future.
    That's not necessarily the case either. A lot of exported jobs are done simply because it is cheaper to have people overseas do it because they will work for so much less than American workers will, or in many cases can. That's why so much tech support has been exported to India, they work cheap because the cost of living there is so much lower than it is here. In some cases, they're working for less than federal minimum wage and it's largely college students or recent graduates who are doing the work.

    The number of skilled people we have here isn't going to change the fact that it's cheaper to send the work overseas. We need to change it so that's not the case.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's not necessarily the case either. A lot of exported jobs are done simply because it is cheaper to have people overseas do it because they will work for so much less than American workers will, or in many cases can. That's why so much tech support has been exported to India, they work cheap because the cost of living there is so much lower than it is here. In some cases, they're working for less than federal minimum wage and it's largely college students or recent graduates who are doing the work.

    The number of skilled people we have here isn't going to change the fact that it's cheaper to send the work overseas. We need to change it so that's not the case.
    I'm not talking about jobs that are offshored to save money. I'm talking about the jobs that would otherwise be kept in-country, but aren't because there simply aren't enough qualified workers to fill them.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Legal immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I think it's a travesty that after our universities educate foreign students, that we kick them out of the country unless they go through the onerous process of finding an employer who is willing to sponsor them for a work visa. This is completely ridiculous. Educated foreigners are not going to live off welfare; they are going to create value and add jobs to the economy. IMO, we should have almost completely open our borders for anyone with a bachelor's degree or higher, as long as there isn't any reason (e.g. crimes, communicable diseases) to keep them out.
    Why is this an 'onerous process'?

    People graduating at the top of their class find jobs fast. Tech firms, medical research firms, financial services and banking all hire qualified applicants from wherever they can find them. If the anti-Mosque crowd had any clue how many Muslims work on Wall street, their heads would explode.

    What do you mean 'completely open our boarders'?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •