View Poll Results: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the rich?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 90.91%
  • No

    2 9.09%
  • I don't know.

    0 0%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

  1. #11
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Doesn't a middle class tax cut (AGI up to $250K) also benefit the the Rich?

    Options:

    Yes
    No
    I don't know.
    Yes, it does. Since the poor and middle-class are much more likely to spend their money than the wealthy are, cutting their taxes will do more to stimulate the economy...which will result in more capital gains for the wealthy.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #12
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    In some ways it hurts the rich. The middle class supply most of the votes in this country and use most of the government resources. Giving them a tax break leads to the middle class believing they can continue to support reckless spending politicians because their taxes won't be raised.
    Do you have any evidence that the middle class are less likely to support big government when the tax burden is (proportionally) higher on them, or is that just speculation? One could just as easily argue that if they're feeling the pinch of less disposable income because they're being taxed more, that they'll be MORE likely to support government goodies to ease their hardships.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-27-10 at 09:43 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #13
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Of course. If a person earns 250k and we lower the taxes on the (for example) 50-100k bracket, then that would lower that persons taxes.

  4. #14
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Do you have any actual evidence that the middle class are less likely to support big government when the tax burden is (proportionally) higher on them? Or is that just speculation?
    common sense

    two scenarios-give a kid a credit card and you pay the bills

    second scenario, he has to pay the bills

    what scenario do you think is gonna have rampant spending?

    speaking of speculation see Post 11



  5. #15
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    common sense

    two scenarios-give a kid a credit card and you pay the bills

    second scenario, he has to pay the bills

    what scenario do you think is gonna have rampant spending?
    If I was the kid in that second scenario, I'd be strapped for cash more often, and therefore perhaps more likely to want more stuff from the government. My point isn't that that is what would necessarily happen; just that it isn't as "common sense" as you claim. In the absence of any empirical evidence, you're really just speculating, and there's a plausible argument for exactly the opposite conclusion you're trying to draw.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    speaking of speculation see Post 11
    That isn't speculation, it's standard economics. Do you deny that cutting taxes stimulates the economy? What kind of conservative are you?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-27-10 at 09:46 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #16
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    In some ways it hurts the rich. The middle class supply most of the votes in this country and use most of the government resources. Giving them a tax break leads to the middle class believing they can continue to support reckless spending politicians because their taxes won't be raised.
    I have already said this else were, but this is not even an argument. It is a slippery slope. It also ignores other common causes of support for tax cuts/raises (ie. political principles).
    Last edited by drz-400; 09-27-10 at 09:46 PM.

  7. #17
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If I was the kid in that second scenario, I'd be strapped for cash more often, and therefore perhaps more likely to want more stuff from the government.



    That isn't speculation, it's basic economics. Do you deny that cutting taxes stimulates the economy? What kind of conservative are you?
    nice evasion on responding to my point-dishonest and silly but an A for effort.



  8. #18
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    I have already said this else were, but this is not even an argument. It is a slippery slope. It also ignores other common causes of support for tax cuts/raises (ie. political principles).
    this country is in danger of going down the toilet because too many people want stuff and expect others to pay for it



  9. #19
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    nice evasion on responding to my point-dishonest and silly but an A for effort.
    I wasn't even disputing your point, but merely asking if you had any evidence to support your claim or just blowing hot air out your ass to justify your wealthy-have-it-rough snobbery. Your failure to even ATTEMPT to justify your speculation suggests the latter. You're right, the wealthy have it so bad in this country...and policy-makers should only be concerned about their well-being. Why, the mere thought that the middle-class might vote in a way that benefits themselves instead of the wealthy should be unthinkable! The horror, the horror. Merely stating that possibility should be sufficient to end any argument on tax policy or anything else.

    Now carry on.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-27-10 at 09:53 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    this country is in danger of going down the toilet because too many people want stuff and expect others to pay for it
    I am sure you think that is the case, but I have seen no conclusive proof that america is doomed; especially because of middle class tax cuts and/or upper class tax increases.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •