View Poll Results: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    49 83.05%
  • No

    10 16.95%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 211

Thread: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And I'll continue to remind you that that's not how our country works.
    I don't recall asking you.

  2. #32
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Maybe if we raised those sky high taxes, we could afford good schools.

    we have good schools, we need more good students. It's a vicious circle. dumbass kids grow up to be dumbass parents who have little dumbass kids of their own. The problems with the US public education system can't be solved by throwing more money at them. A fundamental change needs to occur to force parents to be responsible for their children's education.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Yes, because as the evidence has shown, there's a strong correlation between education spending/student and education quality.
    When our schools aren't horribly underfunded and stuck with mediocre, unqualified teachers, then we can have another evaluation. Rich schools get good grades.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I want the educational system to teach our kids knowledge. morals and ethics should be taught by the parents. I have no problem with sex ed being taught as part of a biology class. and FWIW, I think abstinence only is one of the dumbest ideas to come along in quite some time.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with moral's or ethics. This is about educating our kids, and giving them all the knowledge available so they can make the best choice for themselves.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #35
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Simple question, yes or no, and explain your answer.

    Personally I think we should, it doesn't provide our kids with a proper sex education, and doesn't prepare them for the real world. I also think that sex education should include information on LGBT issues, and I think that our schools should offer condoms to our students with no questions asked.
    someone in this thread said abstinence + education...i'm with that, because you can't deny, when properly practiced, abstinence works. ;-)

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #36
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    I'm not even sure what your argument is.
    that was obvious from your reply. maybe if you asked for clarification instead of immediately jumping to insult we might get somewhere.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #37
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    I don't recall asking you.
    You responded to my post on a forum called debatepolitics, so I assumed you were interested in debating the issue. My apologies.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    we have good schools, we need more good students. It's a vicious circle. dumbass kids grow up to be dumbass parents who have little dumbass kids of their own. The problems with the US public education system can't be solved by throwing more money at them. A fundamental change needs to occur to force parents to be responsible for their children's education.
    I'm not saying that there aren't serious problems unrelated to money, but money is a big ****ing problem.

    I grew up with parents who worked their asses off to send me to Catholic school. That's a horror in itself, but it's nothing compared to the atrocious schools my neighborhood pals went to. Books missing wars, teachers only a chapter ahead of the students, rickety desks and decrepit infrastructure. It's appalling. I've witnessed first-hand the self-destructiveness of the proletariat, but that doesn't mean these schools don't need a massive green injection.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    someone in this thread said abstinence + education...i'm with that, because you can't deny, when properly practiced, abstinence works. ;-)
    I agree with that, though you don't really have to teach abstinence. Just give the definition, and and your basically done with teaching abstinence.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Should we move away from abstinence only sex education?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You responded to my post on a forum called debatepolitics, so I assumed you were interested in debating the issue. My apologies.
    Oh, I am, but I'm not interested in taking backward ideas about how our government should function for granted.

    I assume that this thread was a place where our opinions could be broadcasted, and I gave you mine. I don't care if you don't think that's how our government works.

    Constitution aside, we all know that the Fed can stick its hand in any cookie jar it wants. I'm all for a little unconstitutional nudge in the direction of sanity.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •