View Poll Results: Does capitalism force a percentage of a countries population into poverty?>

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 33.33%
  • No

    38 63.33%
  • Not Sure

    2 3.33%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 193

Thread: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Just curious of everyones opinions of the "Western Influence" and what your thoughts on a capitalism form of society are?

    Please explain why you like it or dislike it and if you have any better ideas on how to govern a country please elaborate...

  2. #2
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Just curious of everyones opinions of the "Western Influence" and what your thoughts on a capitalism form of society are?

    Please explain why you like it or dislike it and if you have any better ideas on how to govern a country please elaborate...
    It depends on the relation. Poverty in Africa is hardly Poverty in Michigan.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Free exchange has been the single largest contributor, to bringing people out of poverty, more than anything else.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    It depends on the relation. Poverty in Africa is hardly Poverty in Michigan.
    Is there a way to ensure no poverty and a way to somehow get everyone in a society to connect....and not want to rob out of jealousy???

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Free exchange has been the single largest contributor, to bringing people out of poverty, more than anything else.
    That's not what he's asking and I'd counter that education has brought far more people out of poverty than 'free exchange'. He's asking whether it forces a percentage of the population to live in poverty and it most certainly does. Some kid in Bangladesh needs to be paid $20 a month so that some fat kid in the U.S. can get clothes at Wal-Mart for $4.99. From the beginning of capitalist history somebody has had to accept crappy wagers so that a commodity can exist for somebody else.

    Look at African countries. Nobody questions why some of the metals in the Playstation 3 come from African mines where workers are exposed to dangerous toxins. Nobody questions why the free exchange as you call it, allows companies to treat thousands of men as its slaves. However every time a new game comes out you see thousands in line for it.

    Again, it's all about perspective. You may not think that 'the free exchange' has made entire markets that feed off slaves around the world but it has. Not only that, it has created a growing gap between the rich and the poor but read any reliable economic news report on poverty levels if you don't believe me. As globalism and free trade expand you start seeing more and more countries with widening poor-rich gaps.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-25-10 at 04:39 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Is there a way to ensure no poverty and a way to somehow get everyone in a society to connect....and not want to rob out of jealousy???
    Nope, people are different. Some people don't get jealous, some do. some rob others, some don't. Some want to interact, some don't.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not what he's asking and I'd counter that education has brought far more people out of poverty than 'free exchange'. He's asking whether it forces a percentage of the population to live in poverty and it most certainly does. Some kid in Bangladesh needs to be paid $20 a month so that some fat kid in the U.S. can get clothes at Wal-Mart for $4.99. From the beginning of capitalist history somebody has had to accept crappy wagers so that a commodity exists for somebody else.


    Ok either the kid in Bangladesh gets nothing or he gets $20 a month.
    You make the choice as to which is superior.

    Education is meaningless really because people will seek the maximum education they need to meet their motivation level.
    Just giving more education does not equate to ending poverty.

    Which people are living in more poverty because of capitalism?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Nope, people are different. Some people don't get jealous, some do. some rob others, some don't. Some want to interact, some don't.
    Perhaps true...but hard to tell for sure unless a few generations balanced out and all had an equal piece of society and an equal piece of the pie.......I say a few generations because that is what it would take to lose the mentalities to be jealous and want to rob, etc...

  9. #9
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Depends on the situation, and on government involvement, and on lots of different economic and social factors, but the biggest factor I would put forward is if workers are able to unionise or not.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  10. #10
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Perhaps true...but hard to tell for sure unless a few generations balanced out and all had an equal piece of society and an equal piece of the pie.......I say a few generations because that is what it would take to lose the mentalities to be jealous and want to rob, etc...
    Really, so people wouldn't get jealous of immaterial things like looks, love, intellect, etc.
    Don't bet on it.

    What you're proposing is utopian communism.
    Someone will always want more of something and you can't control it all.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •