View Poll Results: Does capitalism force a percentage of a countries population into poverty?>

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 33.33%
  • No

    38 63.33%
  • Not Sure

    2 3.33%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 193

Thread: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    No matter what system, there will always be the poor.
    But I think the Liberals seem to care more for these unfortunates. The conservatives are safe inside their gated communities.

  2. #172
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Capitalism does not force ANYONE to do ANYTHING. Hence the word FREE enterprise. If you choose to do nothing, then you will most likely end up in poverty. But no one is forcing you to do nothing, and no one is enslaving you to do things. The second a slave system enters the picture, we are no longer talking about a FREE market.

  3. #173
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    When I was born all you needed for a decent income was high school.
    We are not talking about you in your lily white world. We're talking about the people in central Africa who make roughly a dollar a day. The majority of these people may 3-7$ a month in order to send their children to a private school, despite the existence of a free public school.

  4. #174
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Education is not the key to success. Specialization is the key to success. Education is merely ONE avenue towards specialization.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Capitalism does not force ANYONE to do ANYTHING. Hence the word FREE enterprise. If you choose to do nothing, then you will most likely end up in poverty. But no one is forcing you to do nothing, and no one is enslaving you to do things. The second a slave system enters the picture, we are no longer talking about a FREE market.
    I think about these things a lot, especially at work where I get the direct observation of how "mentally" poor people act.
    It seems to transition from behavior.

    The guy who has 7-8 kids (can't remember exactly how much) decided to go to the convenience store on every single break we have.
    He buys beer, smokes weed, plays the scratch off lottery games and some how his poverty is all the fault of someone else.

    You can't reason with people who believe this nonsense.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 09-25-10 at 04:41 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #176
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,066

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    We are not talking about you in your lily white world. We're talking about the people in central Africa who make roughly a dollar a day. The majority of these people may 3-7$ a month in order to send their children to a private school, despite the existence of a free public school.
    Most people in Central Africa who send their kids to a private school really have no choice but to send kids to these 'private schools'. Most public schools in Africa( and I know this for a fact as I have seen them myself) are situated in major metropolitan centers and not in rural areas where over 60% of the continent lives. In Central Africa the urbanization levels go down to 10%-25% of the population so this becomes even more untenable. Your argument is flawed.

    On a side note: The actual price range for these schools is more like $1.50 to $7 a month depending on the facility. You find they're usually somewhere in the $2-$3 range. Either way public 'free' schools end up costing about the same. In Africa as 'private schools' is just another word for unqualified people teaching kids in dirty little huts that are accessible only to a few villages in a region. It's not that people send their kids to private schools because they're better, they send them there because they really have choice but to. Most people don't have the money to send their kids to the 'public schools' in the cities.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-25-10 at 06:04 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #177
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,066

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Who would have thought that these people making a dollar a day are spending 3-7$ a month to send their kids to a PRIVATE (for-profit) school?
    Oh good lord, yes... here are how many people in Africa actually send their kids to school:

    NAZ FOUNDATION

    The percentage of kids out of school ages 12-14 is about 26% and it almost doubles to 40% for age group 15-17. This is a frightening statistics that's killing developing countries; almost 50% of SSS (High School) students are not in school. The most disturbing part of this, is that most of the student's have never stepped foot in a school.

    When you look at that number at compare it to a developed nation you see the huge disparity and the need for intervention. In contrast, according to the US Census Bureau the percentage of 12-15years old not in school is less than 2% while the percentage of 16-17years old not in school is about 6%.

    Education is the key for stability and progress in developing countries. While efforts on other humanitarian causes are needed in these regions, it's essential we focus on education. Education is the key to empowerment and also will be the key to sustained growth in all of these regions.


    Again, the connection between daily survival and education can't be ignored in poor countries who practive capitalism.

    Childinfo.org: Statistics by Area - Child labour - Child labour and education

    Although many children manage to combine work and school attendance, there is a clear trade-off between the two activities. The following graph plots the child labour and school attendance rates in 18 African countries. In countries with a high share of child labourers, school attendance tends to be low. At the extreme ends of the distribution are Swaziland, with a school attendance rate of 78 per cent and a child labour rate of 10 per cent, and Niger, with a school attendance rate of 30 per cent and a child labour rate of 72 per cent.
    Your knee-jerk reaction to what is a fact is nothing more than a sign of the blind worship some people have of the 'free market'. As I said, somebody needs to be poor in order for some to get commodities.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #178
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Most people in Central Africa who send their kids to a private school really have no choice but to send kids to these 'private schools'. Most public schools in Africa( and I know this for a fact as I have seen them myself) are situated in major metropolitan centers and not in rural areas where over 60% of the continent lives. In Central Africa the urbanization levels go down to 10%-25% of the population so this becomes even more untenable. Your argument is flawed.

    On a side note: The actual price range for these schools is more like $1.50 to $7 a month depending on the facility. You find they're usually somewhere in the $2-$3 range. Either way public 'free' schools end up costing about the same. In Africa as 'private schools' is just another word for unqualified people teaching kids in dirty little huts that are accessible only to a few villages in a region. It's not that people send their kids to private schools because they're better, they send them there because they really have choice but to. Most people don't have the money to send their kids to the 'public schools' in the cities.
    I didn't make an argument. I made a statement, which is based on documented research. Read The Beautiful Tree: A Journey into How the World's Poorest are Educating Themselves.

    The argument I would make, based on conclusions made in the research cited above, is that these private schools do far better in their learning methods versus the public schools. But that's not so surprising. That scenario is true whether we're discussing people living in Ghana or people living in the United States. The private sector is ALWAYS better.

  9. #179
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Oh good lord, yes... here are how many people in Africa actually send their kids to school:

    NAZ FOUNDATION





    Again, the connection between daily survival and education can't be ignored in poor countries who practive capitalism.

    Childinfo.org: Statistics by Area - Child labour - Child labour and education



    Your knee-jerk reaction to what is a fact is nothing more than a sign of the blind worship some people have of the 'free market'. As I said, somebody needs to be poor in order for some to get commodities.
    It's called the zero-sum theory and it's about as dated as the flat-earth theory.

  10. #180
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    01-13-11 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5

    Re: Does Capitalism force a percentage of the population to live in poverty?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Just curious of everyones opinions of the "Western Influence" and what your thoughts on a capitalism form of society are?

    Please explain why you like it or dislike it and if you have any better ideas on how to govern a country please elaborate...
    I don't believe there has even been a country were the previous economic system was replaced by capitalism that the level of poverty has not been reduced. India as an example, China as another.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •