View Poll Results: Do you believe in 'life' after death?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 45.10%
  • No

    17 33.33%
  • Uncertain

    11 21.57%
  • Other - Explain

    1 1.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: Is there life after death?

  1. #1
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Is there life after death?

    Is there "life" after death - or is dead, dead.

    Elaborate if you'd like.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Is there life after death?

    I am a Christian, so I do believe there is life after death.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #3
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Is there life after death?

    I don't think so, but if there is a life after death Satan, Hades, whoever rules hell will be moving over because I will be taking charge of that place.

  4. #4
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Is there life after death?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I am a Christian, so I do believe there is life after death.
    Can you define what kind of life that would be? Reincarnation, an 'afterlife' in another world (sorry for poor wording), or just another realm of being?

    Not trying to be disrespectful - I am just curious.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Is there life after death?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Can you define what kind of life that would be? Reincarnation, an 'afterlife' in another world (sorry for poor wording), or just another realm of being?

    Not trying to be disrespectful - I am just curious.
    No disrespect taken

    My belief in the afterlife is what I believe the Bible describes it as. I believe in a heaven and hell and in a new incarnated earth. I believe in heaven we will have glorified bodies as the Bible says (not mindless spirits). I believe we will have relationships with others, be with God, have jobs, and live a perfect eternal life. I don't believe in the typical chubby angels and mindless spirits floating on clouds image.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #6
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Is there life after death?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    No disrespect taken

    My belief in the afterlife is what I believe the Bible describes it as. I believe in a heaven and hell and in a new incarnated earth. I believe in heaven we will have glorified bodies as the Bible says (not mindless spirits). I believe we will have relationships with others, be with God, have jobs, and live a perfect eternal life. I don't believe in the typical chubby angels and mindless spirits floating on clouds image.
    When you say Christian are you Baptist or Catholic or whatever else there is, because if I remember my Catholic schooling only Catholics believe in Purgatory.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Is there life after death?

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    When you say Christian are you Baptist or Catholic or whatever else there is, because if I remember my Catholic schooling only Catholics believe in Purgatory.
    I was raised Baptist, but I am neither. I personally define myself as a non-denomination Christian. I read the Bible and form my own beliefs, not necessarily adopting a denominational doctrine. And I don't believe in Purgatory
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #8
    Advisor WilliamJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Last Seen
    04-03-11 @ 09:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    314

    Re: Is there life after death?

    No, I don't believe in life after death, for two reasons.

    1. I have never seen any compelling evidence for it, and I therefore see no reason to believe there to be any kind of afterlife. Much like the existence of god, the burden of proof rests with the people making the positive assertion. Until I'm shown compelling evidence for an afterlife, I don't believe in one, for the same reason I don't believe in unicorns.

    2. A life after death presupposes a soul. There is, however, decently compelling evidence against the existence of a soul. A soul would be, by definition, immaterial. But at the same time, it would have to be capable of interacting with the material world, otherwise, it would have no mechanism by which it could influence the behavior of its host body. This is a logical contradiction, though, since an immaterial substance by definition cannot interact with the material world. In addition, if we define a soul as the essence of what makes a person who they are, the seat of their reason, personality, etc., then a soul is nothing more than the collection of neurons firing in a specific pattern in one's brain. This can be proven by studying people who have suffered brain injuries. In many cases, their entire personality changes, making them for all intents and purposes, a different person.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Is there life after death?

    Outlook doubtful.

  10. #10
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Is there life after death?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I was raised Baptist, but I am neither. I personally define myself as a non-denomination Christian. I read the Bible and form my own beliefs, not necessarily adopting a denominational doctrine. And I don't believe in Purgatory
    That is how I was before I lost my faith too. I never could really buy into the dogma of any particular Christian sect.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •