View Poll Results: Does getting a tattoo rasie or lower people perception of your IQ?

Voters
406. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change, but I think you're sexy

    16 3.94%
  • Not so sexy

    20 4.93%
  • raise IQ by 30 pts

    3 0.74%
  • raise IQ by 60 pts

    3 0.74%
  • lower IQ by 30 pts

    184 45.32%
  • lower IQ by 60 pts

    169 41.63%
  • What's an IQ and why do you think I have one?

    11 2.71%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 171

Thread: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

  1. #151
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    So, should we judge the guy with the skull on his face or not?
    I don't know.

    I think what most people with tattoos are trying to say here - is not to judge all of us by the measure of some. The guy with the skull on his face might very well be a dumbass. It doesn't mean the cardiac surgeon with a tattoo of an eagle on his back, is. Or it may be the other way around. Who knows.

    The lady with the bleach blonde hair may be a bimbo - does that mean all bleach blonde women are bimbos?

    I'm not ready to make that leap, and I'm a little surprised that some people in this thread have made that leap regarding people and tattoos.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If the blond person with big tits happens to be a guy, I would imagine there are many days where it isn't an advantage.
    Yes. On Wednesday, when I was dealing with an extremely insecure male police officer, it was an extreme disadvantage. Some guys don't like to be showed up by a woman.

  3. #153
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I don't know.

    I think what most people with tattoos are trying to say here - is not to judge all of us by the measure of some. The guy with the skull on his face might very well be a dumbass. It doesn't mean the cardiac surgeon with a tattoo of an eagle on his back, is. Or it may be the other way around. Who knows.

    The lady with the bleach blonde hair may be a bimbo - does that mean all bleach blonde women are bimbos?

    I'm not ready to make that leap, and I'm a little surprised that some people in this thread have made that leap regarding people and tattoos.
    Hell, the guy with the skull on his face probably works at a tattoo shop. I doubt he has any interest in pleasing the masses. I don't like that sort of thing, but he probably enjoys the reactions he gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #154
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    That's why I wouldn't want to have a visible tattoo. I can't control what other people's first impressions are, but I can do a lot to influence them. That's why you wear your best suit to a job interview.
    I wouldnt either. But there are a lot of folks who's life and lifestyle would not be adversely impacted by it. I think thats the only point. I dont think anyone has said everyone should rush out and get a tattoo...just that having one is not an indicator really of ANYTHING. And BTW...I know an awful lot of people with no tats that dont exactly represent outliers on the upper end of the IQ curve...soooooo...

  5. #155
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You are right...something I have told my kids. Dont be shocked when you dont get considered for a job because you have visible tattoos. In some cities now they have passed ordinances specifically disallowing the hiring of individuals with visible ink. So of course there is some consequence. That still doesnt equate to the IQ of the individual, but it IS a relevant point.
    Of course, the poll isn't about actual IQ, but the perception of IQ and I think a lot of people do perceive someone with lots of visible tattoos to have lower IQ.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #156
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Of course, the poll isn't about actual IQ, but the perception of IQ and I think a lot of people do perceive someone with lots of visible tattoos to have lower IQ.
    I think we agree that a lot of people make that assumption...I just think it is an incorrect assumption, even though I understand first impressions and peoples tendency to prejudge. I think if the comments were more directed towards, "meh...tattoos arent for me, but as long as it isnt over the top and visible...cest la vie" there probably would have been a few exchanges and thats about it.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Of course, the poll isn't about actual IQ, but the perception of IQ and I think a lot of people do perceive someone with lots of visible tattoos to have lower IQ.
    For me, at least, it depends on the type of tattoos. There's a difference between the standard issue redneck woman I see at the beach here, with 16 tattoos, none of which are aesthetically pleasing, and someone with a full sleeve that's obviously put a lot of thought and money into the sleeve. I have a good friend who is an artist who created his tattoos and then paid someone to put them on him. They're beautiful, if you like tattoos (and I do).

    I've worked with a ton of gang members over the years who have covered their bodies with gang monikers and symbols, but I also have worked with a ton of cops who have sleeves, and the sleeves look pretty bad ass.

    A lot of people, these days, have tattoos because they are part of the steam punk/alternative scene, a la the suicide girls. I wouldn't say that most of those folks have low IQs.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 09-24-10 at 11:36 AM.

  8. #158
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    For me, at least, it depends on the type of tattoos. There's a difference between the standard issue redneck woman I see at the beach here, with 16 tattoos, none of which are aesthetically pleasing, and someone with a full sleeve that's obviously put a lot of thought and money into the sleeve. I have a good friend who is an artist who created his tattoos and then paid someone to put them on him. They're beautiful, if you like tattoos (and I do).

    I've worked with a ton of gang members over the years who have covered their bodies with gang monikers and symbols, but I also have worked with a ton of cops who have sleeves, and the sleeves look pretty bad ass.
    There are lots that I dont get. Mind you...its their bodies and their choices...but still...

    The barbed wire around what passes as a bicep on a guy with 70 pounds of table slab...
    The Japanese writing, frequently found to not mean what it is purported to mean...
    Any ink that from a distance of greater than 4 inches just looks like a cancer mark...
    The prison tats...tear drops, had markings...look life is hard enough do you HAVE to tell the world you have been to prison?
    My son has a few that arent great. People might want to check the resume of their artist before they get inked for the sake of getting inked...just sayin...

  9. #159
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    some bright people:




    and maybe the smartest of all:
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #160
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Correlation between tattoos and IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There are lots that I dont get. Mind you...its their bodies and their choices...but still...

    The barbed wire around what passes as a bicep on a guy with 70 pounds of table slab...
    The Japanese writing, frequently found to not mean what it is purported to mean...
    Any ink that from a distance of greater than 4 inches just looks like a cancer mark...
    The prison tats...tear drops, had markings...look life is hard enough do you HAVE to tell the world you have been to prison?
    My son has a few that arent great. People might want to check the resume of their artist before they get inked for the sake of getting inked...just sayin...
    I'd just like to point out how clichéd the barb-wire and tribal tattoos are. Every time I see a tribal tattoo I always want to ask the wearer which tribe he's with.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •