View Poll Results: Tax cuts cost nothing and are free

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way.

    47 40.87%
  • Yes, they are free

    68 59.13%
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 246

Thread: Tax cuts are free

  1. #61
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,741

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    No, that would be your definition. You have constantly avoided my analogy proving that the forgone revenue results in a cost. Pretending peoples' posts who refute you don't exist does not show that your argument is strong.
    I avoid your nonsense often because I have other things to do and your yapping at me gets tiresome.



  2. #62
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I avoid your nonsense often because I have other things to do and your yapping at me gets tiresome.
    Correction. You can't refute my arguments. Nor anyone elses' for that matter.

    But what can I expect from someone who posts two links that don't discuss the topic as proof his view on the topic is correct?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #63
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Thanks to this poll, I was curious as to how much, if anything, tax cuts really do cost the nation. Back in 2006, the Bush Administration claimed that tax cuts "pay for themselves", pointing to the increase in revenues from 2005 and the then projected revenues from that current year; however, according to The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the evidence tells a very different story. The tax cuts have not paid for themselves, and economic growth and revenue growth over the course of that period were not particularly strong. Revenues grew much more quickly in the 1990s, when taxes were raised, than in the 1980s, when taxes were cut. The Center points out that, even taking into account the stronger revenue growth that was projected at the time for the fiscal year of 2006, real per-capita revenues had simply returned to the level they reached more than five years previous, when the current business cycle began in March 2001. In contrast, in previous post-World War II business cycles, real per-capita revenues have grown an average of about 10 percent over the five and a half years following the previous business-cycle peak. By this stage in the 1990s business cycle, real per-capita revenues had increased by 11 percent (Claim That Tax Cuts "Pay For Themselves" Is Too Good To Be True — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities). Fact Check weighed in a few years ago, too. With the possible exception of corporate income taxes, the supply-side theory that tax-cut proponents often espouse suggests that a higher tax rate can generate just as much revenue as a lower rate. "But", the article goes on to say, "most economists are not Laffer-curve purists. Instead, while they may believe in the power of tax cuts to create an economic boost, they don't say that growth is enough to completely make up for lost revenue. For example, N. Gregory Mankiw, former chair of the current President Bush’s Council of Economic Advisers, calculated that the growth spurred by capital gains tax cuts pays for about half of lost revenue over a number of years and that payroll tax cuts generate enough growth to pay for about 17 percent of what is lost." (FactCheck.org: Have tax cuts always resulted in higher tax revenues and more economic growth as many tax cut proponents claim?)

    I would, however, love to read economists opposing the view that tax cuts do not pay for themselves, as I am no economist myself. Getting both sides of the story is important, imho, and i'm sure there is plenty of differing opinions armed with adequate evidence on the actual cost of tax cuts.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Good they are free! And we need a tax system that is made from consumption. I say start there heck we can change it if that dont work. But change we must. Say no to convention and two party rule.

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Free for who? I voted that they are. When it comes to individuals, tax cuts are free. When it comes to the government, it costs nothing to implement a tax cut. However, it may result in a loss of revenue. In the end, it's all free because the dollars are still there. They are either with the government or with individuals. It's a relocation of wealth.
    Last edited by digsbe; 09-19-10 at 08:02 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #66
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    I'm not sure why Turtle thanked Digsbe's post. Especially when Disgbe reiterated that the loss of revenue was tied to the tax cut. And that the dollars are government's. Two things that Turtle has repetitively rejected.

    Why would he thank a post that doesn't support his argument and contains two arguments that were repetitively used against him before by others?

    Maybe he just saw the word "free" and made up the rest?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #67
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,741

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I'm not sure why Turtle thanked Digsbe's post. Especially when Disgbe reiterated that the loss of revenue was tied to the tax cut. And that the dollars are government's. Two things that Turtle has repetitively rejected.

    Why would he thank a post that doesn't support his argument and contains two arguments that were repetitively used against him before by others?

    Maybe he just saw the word "free" and made up the rest?
    I don't always agree with posts that I find useful. You see I am not a hack



  8. #68
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,741

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    His post made sense. It might mean less revenue to the government. But a tax cut costs nothing. Less revenue is not the same as a cost. A cost requires money going out. A tax cut means that less revenue MIGHT NOT COME IN. That is obvious to everyone



  9. #69
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    His post made sense. It might mean less revenue to the government.
    Which is the same thing everyone who said you are wrong said as well. It does appear you saw the word "Free" and assumed the rest.

    But a tax cut costs nothing.
    Only if you keep pretending that. I see you are still running away from my analogy showing you are as usual, wrong.

    Less revenue is not the same as a cost.
    Uh, a lost sale costs you revenue. Hello? Mcfly?

    A cost requires money going out.
    Which a tax cut often does. Especially debt financed tax cuts which as Lord T pointed out and you ran away from, is nothing more then a loan. Your whole argument ignores the cycle of inflows and outflows. Probably why you are deliberately pretending my analogy doesn't exist.

    Well, you thanking a post that doesn't support your argument is in line with posting articles which don't address your point.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #70
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,741

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Which is the same thing everyone who said you are wrong said as well. It does appear you saw the word "Free" and assumed the rest.



    Only if you keep pretending that. I see you are still running away from my analogy showing you are as usual, wrong.



    Uh, a lost sale costs you revenue. Hello? Mcfly?



    Which a tax cut often does. Especially debt financed tax cuts which as Lord T pointed out and you ran away from, is nothing more then a loan. Your whole argument ignores the cycle of inflows and outflows. Probably why you are deliberately pretending my analogy doesn't exist.

    Well, you thanking a post that doesn't support your argument is in line with posting articles which don't address your point.
    Yawn-more nonsense.



Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •