View Poll Results: Tax cuts cost nothing and are free

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way.

    47 40.87%
  • Yes, they are free

    68 59.13%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 246

Thread: Tax cuts are free

  1. #201
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wait a minute a tax cut that causes the government to lose revenue is a cost sometimes and not a cost other times? That makes no sense. that's like saying if a company makes more profit paying for labor isn't a cost?
    The cost is in the created deficit and debt

    Not paying for something now and instead paying for it later still makes it a cost, just one that will be paid for at a later date
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #202
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The cost is in the created deficit and debt

    Not paying for something now and instead paying for it later still makes it a cost, just one that will be paid for at a later date
    wrong-the issue is whether a tax cut is a cost. You are adding variables

    A tax cut is not a cost. a tax cut may or may not reduce revenue. but costs are expenditures.

    your point is correct in the sense that more spending and less revenues=a deficit and debt

    but the fact remains tax cuts are not costs.



  3. #203
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Dang! Is this thread still going? LOL, I gave up trying to explain to TurtleDude the strictly "Economic" definition of a "cost" a while back. Seems this debate has gone full circle............several times over.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  4. #204
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Dang! Is this thread still going? LOL, I gave up trying to explain to TurtleDude the strictly "Economic" definition of a "cost" a while back. Seems this debate has gone full circle............several times over.
    maybe you need to admit that a cost is one thing and a lack of revenue is another. If you figured out the reason why OC started this thread you wouldn't be puzzled. Since I know the reason I am not going to accept a definition that is not accurate



  5. #205
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    maybe you need to admit that a cost is one thing and a lack of revenue is another. If you figured out the reason why OC started this thread you wouldn't be puzzled. Since I know the reason I am not going to accept a definition that is not accurate

    economic cost
    Definition: Actual sacrifice involved in performing an activity, or following a decision or course of action. It may be expressed as the total of opportunity cost (cost of employing resources in one activity than the other) and accounting costs (the cash outlays).

    from BusinessDictionary.com - Online Business Dictionary
    Seems to me that a loss of revenue equals a sacrifice and, therefore, fits the economic definition of a cost.

    Read more: economic cost definition
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #206
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Seems to me that a loss of revenue equals a sacrifice and, therefore, fits the economic definition of a cost.

    Read more: economic cost definition
    you can pick your definition but its not the only one. our business had a ledger-costs on one side, revenue on the other

    why do you constantly claim that your defintion is the only one that matters? government spending costs money. Govenrment tax hikes cost money. tax reductions do not



  7. #207
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you can pick your definition but its not the only one. our business had a ledger-costs on one side, revenue on the other

    why do you constantly claim that your defintion is the only one that matters? government spending costs money. Govenrment tax hikes cost money. tax reductions do not
    because I am looking at the economy in the "big picture" not simply in the terms of what a decision may or may not cost me monetarily as an individual. Tax cuts simply equate to "cost shifting" and that still equates to a cost....for someone. Just because people in a particular tax bracket receive a tax cut, does not mean that others in a different tax bracket will not "pick up" the cost. The solution would be tax cuts coupled with a reduction in government spending - if these two would actually balance out in a cost-benefit analysis then, and only then, would your tax cuts result in zero economic cost.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  8. #208
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    because I am looking at the economy in the "big picture" not simply in the terms of what a decision may or may not cost me monetarily as an individual. Tax cuts simply equate to "cost shifting" and that still equates to a cost....for someone. Just because people in a particular tax bracket receive a tax cut, does not mean that others in a different tax bracket will not "pick up" the cost. The solution would be tax cuts coupled with a reduction in government spending - if these two would actually balance out in a cost-benefit analysis then, and only then, would your tax cuts result in zero economic cost.
    1) the tax cuts actually made the top 1-2% pay more of the tax burden so obviously the "costs" were not shifted to the lower classes of tax payers

    2) the people who want tax hikes only for the rich have no desire to cut spending since that would hurt them politically. Since those who want the rich to pay more also want to spend more, there is no sound reason to support more tax hikes on the rich

    3) again you can call costs what you want. Using your definition you are correct. Using my definition I am right. and there is no way to prove whose definition is correct. I won't claim you are an indiot for using a overly broad definition. BUt I will note that the tax hikers claim anyone who doesn't use the definition that fits their agenda is "stupid" which is pathetic



  9. #209
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Tax Cuts go well with Overall Reduced Government Spending

    They should try it some time. I hear it's fabulous dahling
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #210
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Tax cuts are free

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    1) the tax cuts actually made the top 1-2% pay more of the tax burden so obviously the "costs" were not shifted to the lower classes of tax payers

    2) the people who want tax hikes only for the rich have no desire to cut spending since that would hurt them politically. Since those who want the rich to pay more also want to spend more, there is no sound reason to support more tax hikes on the rich

    3) again you can call costs what you want. Using your definition you are correct. Using my definition I am right. and there is no way to prove whose definition is correct. I won't claim you are an indiot for using a overly broad definition. BUt I will note that the tax hikers claim anyone who doesn't use the definition that fits their agenda is "stupid" which is pathetic
    So, if you were in the top 1-2%, according to what you state above, you'd be screaming that the "tax cuts" resulted in an extra cost for you? Right?
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •