View Poll Results: Do the below scenarios mean the person hates/is bigoted against said group

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christians

    7 38.89%
  • Muslims

    4 22.22%
  • America

    2 11.11%
  • Mexico / Mexicans

    4 22.22%
  • The Constitution

    0 0%
  • Republicans

    6 33.33%
  • Democrats

    6 33.33%
  • Homosexuals

    7 38.89%
  • None of them necessarily suggest you could claim the person hates that group

    7 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Does it mean you hate...

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Does it mean you hate...

    Since there's been a bit of this in a bunch of threads it made me want to post a full one. If you burn various items for a political statement does that mean you must hate, are bigoted too, or prejudice the following groups in the following scenarios:

    1. A person burns a bible claiming fundamentalist christians need to know what it feels like to have their holy works burned

    2. A person burns portions of the Qur'an that they believe that Islamic terrorists use to justify their attacks

    3. A person burns an American Flag to protest the United States policies on the War on Terror

    4. A person burns a Mexican Flag to protest the United States policies on immigration enforcement

    5. A person burns the constitution stating this is what the two parties are doing to this country's principles

    6. A person burns an effigy of Bush screaming that Republicans are Fascists

    7. A person burns an effigy of Obama screaming that Democrats are Socialists

    8. A person burns a rainbow flag stating that marriage should be between one man and one woman
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 09-16-10 at 01:05 AM. Reason: My subconsious godwined me

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,873
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    6&7, though 7 made me lol, but those ones are targeted at the group in general, without specific reasoning, the incendiary equivalent of a blanket statement, the other ones, though obviously offensive and ill advised, are targeted at a specific action or belief.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Since there's been a bit of this in a bunch of threads it made me want to post a full one. If you burn various items for a political statement does that mean you must hate, are bigoted too, or prejudice the following groups in the following scenarios
    No. One could just be mad at those groups. Hatred, bigory or prejudice need have nothing to do with any of them.

    However, if a member of President Obama's Cabinet does any of these things, he ought to be fired. ;-)
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    No not bigoted thats the new catch all word(Code word)we use it reminds me when they used to say
    Conservation of America- Now its awhole Enviornmental movement. People should discriminate its ok They are called values I got a bunch of them. Burning stuff in public is bound to piss off somebody- so one could say they were rude and maybe even angry- or because they Did it in a structured enviornment with like minded - Political statement. Thats all it is.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    Burning people in effigy, burning holy books and flags, is simply protesting against a symbol of someone or some entity with which you disagree. It is intended to get attention (usually successfully) but does not necessarily mean that the protester is bigoted. Bigotry is hating a group of people simply because they are that group of people. If some group has taken a stance you think is wrong, burning some symbol of that group is a manner of protest.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #6
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Since there's been a bit of this in a bunch of threads it made me want to post a full one. If you burn various items for a political statement does that mean you must hate, are bigoted too, or prejudice the following groups in the following scenarios:
    Here would be my gut reaction to such an action if that was the ONLY thing I knew about the person. Obviously more information provides more context.

    1. A person burns a bible claiming fundamentalist christians need to know what it feels like to have their holy works burned

    2. A person burns portions of the Qur'an that they believe that Islamic terrorists use to justify their attacks
    I'd say the person in question is probably hostile or bigoted concerning the religion in question. Both people would be attacking an entire faith over the actions of fringe lunatics. One nut job in Florida does not speak for the Christian faith. And even though I believe Islam as a whole is a more radicalized religion (see the reaction to 9/11 on the Arab street if you doubt me), there are still plenty of moderates who don't condone terrorist tactics.

    3. A person burns an American Flag to protest the United States policies on the War on Terror
    I'd say at minimum that person has a largely negative view of America as a whole. The flag represents America as a nation, not just one specific policy. To me, a person wouldn't attack the symbol of an entire nation unless they had a negative view of that nation.

    Though I suppose its possible that one could feel strongly enough about our War on Terror tactics to see them as a betrayal of national ideals. I know I've always said the day we ban flag burning would the day I would burn a flag, because to me that would mean we've truly lost our way as a nation that embraces and guarantees freedom. I feel that strongly regarding freedom of speech. I suppose one could feel that strongly about the War on Terror. While I disagree with certain aspects of the War on Terror, my differences aren't so great that it would prompt me to say we've lost our way entirely. But I suppose its possible for someone else to feel that way.

    4. A person burns a Mexican Flag to protest the United States policies on immigration enforcement
    I don't see how Mexico (which is represented by the Mexican flag) is responsible for our failure to maintain our borders and enforce our immigration laws. I think someone who would do this would do it out of prejudice towards Mexicans rather than actual concern about immigration policy. It's not the Mexicans' fault our government refuses to vigorously enforce immigration law.

    5. A person burns the constitution stating this is what the two parties are doing to this country's principles
    I don't see any hatred here, but sadly I see the telling of a very grim reality.

    6. A person burns an effigy of Bush screaming that Republicans are Fascists

    7. A person burns an effigy of Hitler screaming that Democrats are Socialists
    Not necessarily hatred or bigotry, but partisan stupidity for sure.

    8. A person burns a rainbow flag stating that marriage should be between one man and one woman
    A rainbow flag is a symbol of the entire gay movement/community. So burning it strikes me as a symbolic attack on all gays, not just voicing disagreement over the question of gay marriage.
    Last edited by Psychoclown; 09-16-10 at 12:46 AM.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  7. #7
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    Why was it Bush being burned in effigy on one side.....and not Obama on the other side?


  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    I am going to take an unpopular stand on this. If protest was the only reason for the actions, I think better forms of protest would be chosen. I think the reason that the form of protest in each case was chosen was, consciously or not, hatred. You can justify it otherwise, but the reality is that there are much more effective forms of protest that might actually away people and make an actual point over the one chosen in each of your examples.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Why was it Bush being burned in effigy on one side.....and not Obama on the other side?
    :

    Cause I was originally thinking "BUrning an effigy of Obama screaming all Democrats are Nazi's" and then didn't want to Godwin the thread so switched to socialist but had nazi's on the brain and it came out Hitler. D'oh! Changing!

  10. #10
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Does it mean you hate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am going to take an unpopular stand on this. If protest was the only reason for the actions, I think better forms of protest would be chosen. I think the reason that the form of protest in each case was chosen was, consciously or not, hatred. You can justify it otherwise, but the reality is that there are much more effective forms of protest that might actually away people and make an actual point over the one chosen in each of your examples.
    I don't see any inherent hatred in number five.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •