View Poll Results: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    1 6.67%
  • No.

    5 33.33%
  • A Select few have.

    7 46.67%
  • Irrelevant to Conservatism.

    1 6.67%
  • Other reason. Please specify.

    1 6.67%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

  1. #31
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    If you mean "Christian Nation" as in most of our citizens describe themselves as Christian, I agree.

    If you mean "Christian Nation" as in the majority of our Founders were of the Christian religion, I agree.

    If you mean "Christian Nation" as in we are a theocracy, I disagree (obviously).

    So.....what do you think those "righties" mean by "Christian Nation", winston?


  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Again, that depends on what you mean by "christian nation". You don't seem to want to explain that.
    I mean exactly what the conservative right wing christians mean when they claim this is a "christian nation".

  3. #33
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I mean exactly what the conservative right wing christians mean when they claim this is a "christian nation".
    And that would be..............?


  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    If you mean "Christian Nation" as in most of our citizens describe themselves as Christian, I agree.

    If you mean "Christian Nation" as in the majority of our Founders were of the Christian religion, I agree.

    If you mean "Christian Nation" as in we are a theocracy, I disagree (obviously).

    So.....what do you think those "righties" mean by "Christian Nation", winston?

    They think the Government is founded on the Bible and see no separation of church and state.

    Now is that an apolitical Jesus would want?

  5. #35
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    They think the Government is founded on the Bible and see no separation of church and state.

    Now is that an apolitical Jesus would want?
    Now, what's the difference between the "righties" that believe this and the "lefties" that use Jesus' words to shape policy?


  6. #36
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Here's the thing. There are some people who can't take care of themselves. Many of these are mentally ill people. And of those, there are the retarded who cannot care for themselves by taking medication, unlike the mentally ill who are afflicted with disorders such as clinical depression or bipolar disorder.

    Such people require the care of professional social workers trained and educated in that area of expertise. Such care is required life-long for them. Without tax dollars supporting such social welfare programs for the mentally ill, they will only get support when people think of it. It times of economic recession such as that which is current, those who are mentally ill can lose out on the support provided by social workers. Without such support, those who are mentally ill can get into trouble, especially the law if they don't understand their actions.

    While I do agree with you that temporary social programs should not become permanent entitlements, there are some things that are too important to be trusted to charitable organizations, whether they be religious in nature or not.



    You are right. However, there are some causes that people don't always think about. Like I mentioned before, social programs to give aid to the mentally retarded or the mentally ill.

    Also, there are many charitable organizations who act more like businesses than charities. Take, for example, the recent earthquake in Haiti. Many charitable organizations asked for donations for that cause. However, only a drop in a bucket of the millions that were donated actually contributed to any Haitian relief yet.

    One reason is because such organizations say "a portion of the proceeds" will go to the cause. The rest of it will go to executives and staff of that organization. I believe that Wyclef Jean was under investigation for taking a salary from a charity for Haiti relief that was about a quarter of a million dollars.

    That's why the only charity I give money to is a local charity that primarily gives toys to local kids whose parents can't afford them at Christmas. Nobody in that charity organization takes a salary of any kind - all the staff volunteers their time. This way, more of the money can go to the charitable cause.

    This has made me see many charitable organizations as corrupt, which is why I'd prefer government organizations instead. While I know that there is government corruption, I think that can be dealt with better than corruption in private organizations.



    Here is the latest story I could find on that subject.

    Senate Rejects Obama Plan to Cut Tax Breaks on Charitable Gifts - Bloomberg

    However, it's important to note why he did that. He wanted more money to go to health care. He never said that charity isn't a worthy cause or should be a high priority. Rather, it's more like that money should go to help the health of our nation.

    And if people only give to charity for the tax deduction, how charitable is that, really?
    I pretty much agree with everything you said.

    We will always need government assistance for some like the ones you pointed out.

    Also people need to beware of donating to large charities where little goes to the cause. Still better than trusting the government though. :-)

    I personally donate locally, or to people I cross paths with who are temperarily in a bind. For instance, I'm not physically able to do a lot anymore. My property, small repairs and house were becoming a disaster. I came across a friend that needed extra cash and she had a friend out of work. They offered to help me. Between the two of them my house and yard are looking great. That's not exactly charity, but they don't have to feel like they owe me, and as long as I can afford to, I'll find things for them to do.
    I also donate to local food banks and give cash to the local charities that help people with their utility bills. If everyone did their share locally many people could be helped without government intervention. However to do that we need a good economy, and low taxes.

    Anyway, I think we are headed down the wrong path when the government seems to want to take care of us from cradle to grave with tax payer money. I value freedom too much for that.

    I don't agree that tax dedutions from charities to support Health care would have been a good idea. That whole thing needs trashed and we need to start over.

    Oh, Also I don't know anyone who would give to a charity BECAUSE it's a tax deduction.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #37
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Now, what's the difference between the "righties" that believe this and the "lefties" that use Jesus' words to shape policy?
    The answer is "which policies get enacted." Liberals tend to use Christian belief to justify social government programs. Conservatives tend to use Christian belief to justify laws on personal issues.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Are Christian Conservatives becoming Progressive?

    A joke now that we have had time to understand that - all Ralph Reid did was to make -The Body of Christ a "political action committe", alot of christians and non baptists were embaressed and scared.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •