View Poll Results: Are you going to burn a Koran?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 10.23%
  • No

    79 89.77%
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 222

Thread: Are you going to burn a Koran?

  1. #201
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I thought you were the spelling Nazi, not the grammar Nazi?
    I'm ambinazious.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #202
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    I'm ambinazious.
    sweet (meh, 10 char)
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #203
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I thought you were the spelling Nazi, not the grammar Nazi?
    We flipped for it. This week is my week to be spelling Nazi.

  4. #204
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    liblady,

    seems to me that this post was in no way directed at you personally. methinks she doth protest too much. by taking offense at this post, you label yourself as one of those leftists to which it applies. ironic
    Is that sort of like when Libs say Reps are racists? Wow, make that statement and watch them come out of the woodwork to defend themselves.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  5. #205
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Not reading 21 pages:

    So, my answer: No.

    Hell, I don't even know where to get a Koran, even if I wanted to burn one.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #206
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Not reading 21 pages:

    So, my answer: No.

    Hell, I don't even know where to get a Koran, even if I wanted to burn one.
    Probably online somewhere would be easiest.

    Or I could travel to OBL's location, beat the crap out of him, and take his.

    If I knew where he was.

    And, for that matter, if he even bothers to look at one - probably has the parts he cares about memorized.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #207
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    You are just looking at a symptom, not the cause.

    Radical Islam is merely a symptom and is ultimately, not the problem. The problem is that "radical" Islam is not "radical". We call it that to disenfranchise it and separate it from the politically correct "moderate" Islam.

    Islam declared jihad and fought to spread Islam from 632 AD until 1699 AD. Over a thousand years. Was that "radical" Islam. The destruction of Israel is pretty recent. Obviously, until recently, there was no Israel. But prior to the establishment of the British Raj, most of the Indian sub-continent was ruled by the Mughal Emperor, a Muslim. India had been part of dar el Islam and Muslims joined in the Sepoy rebellion of 1857 with the stated intention of restoring India to dar el Islam.

    So there is historical precedent to re-conquering land that was once Muslim.

    So, wtf is "radical" Islam? The fact of the matter is, it is a part of Islam that has always existed because the Koran and Hadith contain so much to support it and this is a common bs misconception (1-3% are actively enganging in active jihad against the Dar al Harib)

    In reality, the vast majority of religous (practicing) Muslims support active jihad either passively or actively (money) because it is the bedrock of what is Islam. First, it is 'uncreated' - it has (to a practicing Muslim) always existed, even before the alleged revelation to Mohammad and second...it is the literal word of Allah, in Allah's own language (Arabic) and therefore can not be questioned.
    Ok.......... first of all, recognize who I am and my reputation. You can't come close to what I understand because most of what you just regurgitated came right out of my own posts and it is the sophomoric side of them (which insults me and makes me shy about ever writing these truths again). And second, you've built a brick wall for yourself because you haven't studied the wider aspects of history to place it into perspective. I'm assuming nothing. You are delivering your own perspective. "Scarecrow" is just pointless in his posts making arguments where there are none out of "patriotic" fear of where he stands. Let's actually start with what radical Islam even is and don't even pretend that you know, because what you stated above you sort of do not. And this is for the rest of you who think dimwitted "suck on it" is the answer to what the military is sweating and bleeding over to address while you sit at home and formulate stupid opinions from television....

    ***** Radical Islam is an intentional religious insurgency spread through a variety of means. The cancer of Radical Islam grows where socio-economic conditions are poor; governments are repressive and unable to provide essential social services, such as providing adequate oversight of their educational system or have allowed/sanctioned Radical Islamic curricula.

    This is the basic definition passed throughtout the Marine Corps for our young trigger pullers. It is wise and it is true. It is generally understood that extremist Islamists swim in the sea of radicals. It offers perspective. It clears the fog. For those who believe otherwise, you are a blight on this country and have nothing to do with what our historical mission has been about (a lesson for another time). It tells them that the enemy has a base of cheerleaders that do not carry weapons. However another truth is that power within Islam resides towards the radicals. There is a reason for this. Despite more Muslims being modernists and an even more that simply don't care beyond their families needs, Arab governments need protection from their own. This means that their media are quick to paint Westerners as the enemy and quick to cater to their government's wishes (FOX, CNN anyone?). The result is a whole mess of bad guys that trump their hatreds towards their own oppressive and brutal governments towards outsiders. In other words, Saayid Qutb and Abd al-Salam Faraj (Tashah should know) supply the religious rhetoric and governments unofficially bless it. As long as their source of hatreds are towards the "foreign devil" local governments are safe fromwhat they themselves largely create.

    This is the enemy. You mentioned "symptom." Well, 9/11 was a symptom. Al-Queda is a symptom. Every single Islamist terrorist organization in the Middle East is a symptom of the faulires of a civilization. Actual experts from Ralph Peters to Bernard Lewis to Vali Nasr (most opinionators in America are clueless at this point) have estimated that the base of radical Islam is between 5 and 15 percent of the population. That may seem simple to some, but what is 15 percent of 2 billion? Do the math. It's alot, but it is no where near the majority who have nothing to do with hating anything that doesn't affect their immediate families. You wish to deal with the disease behind the symptom? It is the Middle Eastern civilization and it starts with education. Funny how education seems to be the answer to every hatred, huh? This is why we make damn sure that our troops know that it is nowhere as simple as knowing that "Muslims" are the enemy.

    Burn a Qur' an. Show that extreme small percentage within Islam that you hate them as they hate you. In the end, who looks like the fool to most in the Christian and Islamic worlds? It's the lost souls who drop planes on New York and the dip**** who finds personal pathetic joy in buring Qur'ans. Of course, as I have tried to hammer through, it only takes a radical or two to shove the rest of us in to turmoil and devistation.

    I am one of the most learned on this site into this enemy and I have developed (ing) myself into understanding what a religious radical is. When I state that "burning Qur'ans is foolish and plain poinltess" people should appreciate my opinion as being more than a television insight. I believed I've earned it, despite those who question my persona today despite their years of thanking me for my defense of President Bush. Speaking of radicals....

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  8. #208
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    No it would be a waste of a perfectly good match and lighter fuel (or gas).
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    MSgt I appreciate everything you say. I went through a period of examining world politics and war as you just described, wherein the root of the problem is governments that are using radicals and made-up foreign enemies to distract their people from domestic problems that they created. Eventually I started to bury this notion because it seemed like whenever I spoke about it, no one was listening to me. I was even called a conspiracy theorist. It is so relieving to see someone with your education and experience say something that reflects what I have sort of thought for a long time, but convinced myself (through countless dead-end debates) that maybe I am wrong.

    If the root of the problem is the failure in Middle Eastern governance, then what is to be done? I agree that the solution is education, but government controls what that looks like, and if radicalism is serving political interests then it seems like radicals would infest education as well (as they have done in Iran). Is the solution to continue invading these nations and replace their defunct governments with something more realistic? I mean, how do we create a shift? It seems like the modern Muslims are the majority, but as you said they are just busy tending to their own lives. If a radical minority can cause so many problems and the government welcomes it, then what is to be done?

    I also really appreciate your FOX/CNN parallel because the western world is not above this kind of behaviour. Our governments use the bait/distract/deploy methods all the time through the news media, and now that the news is controlled by conglomerates it takes a simple phone call to change the game. You'll notice that as there are more domestic problems in the western world, the media will become increasingly volatile and outrageous. It's no coincidence.

  10. #210
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: Are you going to burn a Koran?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Radical Islam is like radical Christianity... they both blow up their enemies. Most Chrisitans and most Muslims have nothing to do with violence of any kind. Attempts to make it sound worse than it is, or more of the people more violent than they are, is nothing more than a fallicious attempt to smear the religion.
    Well, see now I have to step back and warn of perspective. Islam does have a very real history of exploding out of the desert and militarily seeking expansion under religious mandate. We in the West read about (not really taught) Christian missionaries in colonies and the hapless accident of the Crusades. But aren't really taught about the truth. Hell, are any wars even taught in High School anymore? The best way to guarantee future wars (especially religious) is to pretend that none existed before and that this new generation has to learn something new.

    Not much has changed for the Islamist radical base, despite their governments heeding to 20th/21st century borders. What people have to educate themselves of is that today's Islamist extremists are more seeking revenge for whatever reasons they've developed (their are quite a few). They have no hope of actually winning. They know they cannot. Behind their global statements of inequality and religious BS they have simply lost faith in Allah and merely strike to win devine favor however they can. Theirs is a civilization that has failed. After decades of "independence" they have come to a point in time where they are suffering on many levels. And since God is tied to government (this is historic) they literally may as well have their heads planted up their asses. Many of them are creating reasons to hate something that will explain their misery A charismatic leader is all that is needed. Nobody on the outside prescribed their oppressions. Nobody on the outside prescribed their futures. If Middle Eastern Islam is the unified ulluma radicals pretend it is supposed to be, then they could have easily come together and figured out how the global resource to current progression can best suit their civilizations needs. But they have not. They are confused, bewildered, and pissed off. In the end, they screwed themselves.

    But this doesn't mean that radical Isam is all of Islam. It's merely the source of celebration shared between civilizations. It's an Islamic tool under scared Muslim governments and Western defaults.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •