View Poll Results: Should there be Tariffs?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Bring back jobs to America!

    19 38.00%
  • No! Free Trade! Its good for the US in the long run

    23 46.00%
  • Tariff Companies in MOST cases!

    4 8.00%
  • Tariff Companies in a very select few cases

    3 6.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know

    1 2.00%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 131

Thread: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

  1. #71
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How does ensuring American companies have a level playing field with non-American companies less productive? And how is an American company still an American company if it outsourced? That doesn't make any ****en sense, Calling a company that outsources an American company makes as much sense as calling Theodore Alvin Hall an American Patriot
    Tarriffs do not ensure a level playing field. Free trade does that. A tarriff is a protection from competition.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #72
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    My point was it was a perfect response to other non-sensical statements that defy logic AND common sense. Like this like gem ............



    That to ME makes no practical, logical or rational parallel to the subject in this thread.
    It has everything to do with this, actually. The tarriff argument is basically arguing against a better division of labor. It's the parallel of saying that we should get rid of computers since these take away so many jobs from accountants and bookkeepers. In reality though, computers save us time so that we can do more important things. We become more productive when we do more, so excluding a potential employer from our labor pool makes no economic sense.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #73
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    That to ME makes no practical, logical or rational parallel to the subject in this thread.
    Of course it's not practical or logical but it does apply to the subject of the thread.

    People say outsourcing causes us to loose jobs and that these people overseas are doing these things for a much cheaper wage than natives here would do.

    A lot of things have been outsources to machines and computers, not forgetting that the sun does all that work, for free.

    How many jobs were lost because people no longer had to walk into a store to buy something?
    They simply order it off the internet.

    Get rid of the internet and we'll get those jobs back.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #74
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Tarriffs do not ensure a level playing field. Free trade does that.
    What have you been smoking? I am sure some of the posters who sometimes engage in recreational drug use would like to have what you have.
    Saying Free Trade creates a level playing field is like saying giving one man a real gun and another man plastic pellet gun and telling them to duel creates a level playing field. Only in Bizarro world does free trade create a level playing field.

    A tarriff is a protection from competition.
    Tariffs ensure that companies here in the US can compete with foreign(can't really call them American if they outsourced) companies who use sweatshop labor and other forms of cheap labor.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #75
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    What have you been smoking? I am sure some of the posters who sometimes engage in recreational drug use would like to have what you have.
    Saying Free Trade creates a level playing field is like saying giving one man a real gun and another man plastic pellet gun and telling them to duel creates a level playing field. Only in Bizarro world does free trade create a level playing field.
    Free trade is a level playing field.
    There are no artificial barriers of trade.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Tariffs ensure that companies here in the US can compete with foreign(can't really call them American if they outsourced) companies who use sweatshop labor and other forms of cheap labor.
    That assumes that the cheap labor is bad.

    You may think that someone working in a sweatshop is being exploited because you're viewing it from an American perspective.
    If you take that job away from them and they starve to death who have you helped?

    Tariffs only make a consumer pay more for an item than they would have otherwise.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    To the individuals, in the thread who want to use economic theory to make us understand the benefits of the current American Trade Policy. SO! One cannot simply ignore the immediate consequences of Higher unemployment and the fact that government is replacing the private sector very quickly to fill the things it used to do. 1. Job Fairs-Usually held or hosted by the state or local employment agencies. Used to be when there was hiring to be done it was done by the Companies with no government involvement.2. Economic Development Committees- Local government used to handle that. Now its under state control -State governments now control the economic make up of an area saying where they will spend their resources and manipulating tax dollars to do so .
    3. EMPLOYEE training now handled thru the state employment agencies for the companies.Example A company in our area needed employees;the requirements were an emphasis on basic computer skills- The local Employment office Did the training for the employer( No CHARGE)
    4.Because government has artificially inflated their role in the free market you dont see the true measure of the free trade debacle locally.5. Cheaper Goods- Based on a model that says our economy would grow at X% annually goods produced here would be alot more expensive. Not true the goods and services would cost what the market could bare. Rents and labor are closely tied to wages - and may not change much over a generation. . People are making $8 / hr because of the governments artificial ceiling of Minimum wage ; but if not for that wages would have dropped a lot more. Labor is less in demand here because of loss of manufacturing. POINT IS The government has replaced sectors of our former free market. The reason they did it is; because there is no support for alot of the things they are doing in the private sector. I will stop here and write the rest as a blog. Thank you b.larset.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by b.larset View Post
    To the individuals, in the thread who want to use economic theory to make us understand the benefits of the current American Trade Policy. SO! One cannot simply ignore the immediate consequences of Higher unemployment and the fact that government is replacing the private sector very quickly to fill the things it used to do. 1. Job Fairs-Usually held or hosted by the state or local employment agencies. Used to be when there was hiring to be done it was done by the Companies with no government involvement.2. Economic Development Committees- Local government used to handle that. Now its under state control -State governments now control the economic make up of an area saying where they will spend their resources and manipulating tax dollars to do so .
    3. EMPLOYEE training now handled thru the state employment agencies for the companies.Example A company in our area needed employees;the requirements were an emphasis on basic computer skills- The local Employment office Did the training for the employer( No CHARGE)
    4.Because government has artificially inflated their role in the free market you dont see the true measure of the free trade debacle locally.5. Cheaper Goods- Based on a model that says our economy would grow at X% annually goods produced here would be alot more expensive. Not true the goods and services would cost what the market could bare. Rents and labor are closely tied to wages - and may not change much over a generation. . People are making $8 / hr because of the governments artificial ceiling of Minimum wage ; but if not for that wages would have dropped a lot more. Labor is less in demand here because of loss of manufacturing. POINT IS The government has replaced sectors of our former free market. The reason they did it is; because there is no support for alot of the things they are doing in the private sector. I will stop here and write the rest as a blog. Thank you b.larset.
    One thing you have to understand first, the U.S. does not engage in actual international free trade.
    Doesn't happen.
    So the question from that would follow, is it really free trade that has hurt us?

    2. Does the efficient allocation of resources hurt people?
    I'd say no, tractors, computers, cheaper labor all allow us to take advantage of more free time.
    Like we do here discussing these things.

    3. As Goldenboy pointed out, most Americans have no real understanding of how much their lives have been improved by this efficient application of resources.
    Before, you may have a couple of day light hours left to rest, now most people have a ton.
    Not only that but it allows you to pursue other financial incentives.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Thanks everyone. I will try in the future not to take up so much thread space. Instead when I get windy and agitated trying to make a point, I will BLOG it. lol
    Debate Politics Forums - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    11-18-12 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    520
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    I understand about technology making our lives easier. As for the benefit of free trade I want my manufacturing back, I want technology dominance and economic security. I want an America that is in the best possible position to lead a world with strength thru fairness.

  10. #80
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Does America Need Tariffs on US Corporations?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Bottom Line..... should the US government provide heavy tariffs to US companies when they do outsource their jobs to another country?
    Should there be heavy tariffs on MOST imported products?
    Nope, only higher taxes on the US manufacturers who profit from it.

    ricksfolly

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •