View Poll Results: I would report it to the boss if he/she was....

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • watching porn in his/her private time.

    0 0%
  • swearing/being rude in his/her private time.

    0 0%
  • smoking pot in his/her private time.

    8 12.50%
  • having affairs in his/her private time.

    0 0%
  • Who cares what teacher do in their private lives?

    56 87.50%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 145

Thread: A Teacher's Private Life

  1. #101
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    For a great many reasons. I receive a saturated list constantly. Lack of discipline, impossible standards, low wages, stress, boredom, and the list can go on. The list can at times be someone who just was not fit for the profession, or there are certainly some issues that could be ironed out with reforms. Are they expected to be "Saints" as I think someone put it? No, but they are held to a higher standard, and I do not think you would have to struggle very hard to consider why thy are. Educators are not merely government workers. At the end of the day, I would hope that teachers have some expectation (not everything, but within reason while preparing to join the profession) of what they are getting into. It's not a job for everyone, and indeed it does require a bit of a "calling". Part of the ethos of the profession is self-worship of the job, which can help teachers as a whole appreciate their own choice.
    So the only people who are right for the job are those who love their job enough to make a small salary for one of the most vital jobs in our country and not make noise about it?

  2. #102
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    What part of that would fall into the category of private? That would fall into the misdemeanor category of public lewdness. I get the sense from your posts that you don't understand the difference between a person's private life and his/her public activities.
    A teacher signs a contract that most often includes those points I listed from the link:

    •Immoral conduct or indecent behavior
    •Incompetency
    •Violations of ethical standards
    •Unprofessional conduct
    •Misrepresentation or FRAUD
    •Willful neglect of duty

    I don't know that it makes a distinction between what someone does in the classroom or does out in the open a block away. The fact remains that it's a contract a teacher signs. If they don't like it, they don't have to sign it, and don't have to work there. Seems to me that's the long-and-short of it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #103
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    So the only people who are right for the job are those who love their job enough to make a small salary for one of the most vital jobs in our country and not make noise about it?
    They sure don't make small salaries in Illinois:

    Name: Abat, Mediha
    Salary: $66,594
    Position: High School Teacher
    Full/Part Time: Fulltime
    Percent Time Employed: 100%
    Assignment: Algebra
    Years Teaching: 1 (first year teaching, not bad, huh?)
    Degree: Master's
    School Name: Wheeling High School
    District Name: Township HSD 214

    Name: Benedetto, Richard
    Salary: $136,397
    Position: High School Teacher
    Full/Part Time: Fulltime
    Percent Time Employed: 100%
    Assignment: Physical Education
    Years Teaching: 33
    Degree: Master's
    School Name: Wheeling High School
    District Name: Township HSD 214

    Family Taxpayers Foundation
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #104
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They sure don't make small salaries in Illinois:

    Name: Abat, Mediha
    Salary: $66,594
    Position: High School Teacher
    Full/Part Time: Fulltime
    Percent Time Employed: 100%
    Assignment: Algebra
    Years Teaching: 1 (first year teaching, not bad, huh?)
    Degree: Master's
    School Name: Wheeling High School
    District Name: Township HSD 214

    Name: Benedetto, Richard
    Salary: $136,397
    Position: High School Teacher
    Full/Part Time: Fulltime
    Percent Time Employed: 100%
    Assignment: Physical Education
    Years Teaching: 33
    Degree: Master's
    School Name: Wheeling High School
    District Name: Township HSD 214

    Family Taxpayers Foundation

    what is jacked up is that a P.E. teacher makes more than twice as much as a math teacher. Something doesn't add up here. of course this guy has been teaching for 33 years, but the gap still shouldn't be that big.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    So, the fact that someone is employed as a teacher gives Maggie the right to peer through their bedroom windows at night?

    It's a good thing you don't live in my neighborhood, Maggie. I'd set the dog on you.

  6. #106
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So, the fact that someone is employed as a teacher gives Maggie the right to peer through their bedroom windows at night?

    It's a good thing you don't live in my neighborhood, Maggie. I'd set the dog on you.
    Why do posters take things to the extreme and think they're making a valid point of some kind or other?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    what is jacked up is that a P.E. teacher makes more than twice as much as a math teacher. Something doesn't add up here. of course this guy has been teaching for 33 years, but the gap still shouldn't be that big.
    Tell me about it. Taxpayers in Illinois are absolutely disgusted.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Why do posters take things to the extreme and think they're making a valid point of some kind or other?
    It's not extreme, that's the drum you've been beating...that you have a right to try and get a teacher fired because you don't approve of his/her activities in their private lives. Sickening.

  8. #108
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They sure don't make small salaries in Illinois:

    Name: Abat, Mediha
    Salary: $66,594
    Position: High School Teacher
    Full/Part Time: Fulltime
    Percent Time Employed: 100%
    Assignment: Algebra
    Years Teaching: 1 (first year teaching, not bad, huh?)
    Degree: Master's
    School Name: Wheeling High School
    District Name: Township HSD 214

    Name: Benedetto, Richard
    Salary: $136,397
    Position: High School Teacher
    Full/Part Time: Fulltime
    Percent Time Employed: 100%
    Assignment: Physical Education
    Years Teaching: 33
    Degree: Master's
    School Name: Wheeling High School
    District Name: Township HSD 214

    Family Taxpayers Foundation
    If she is teaching in Chicago then that amount does not add up to much.

  9. #109
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    If she is teaching in Chicago then that amount does not add up to much.
    Well, most taxpayers are very uncomfortable with a Phys Ed teacher making $136,000 a year. Their pensions are helping to bankrupt the state.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It's not extreme, that's the drum you've been beating...that you have a right to try and get a teacher fired because you don't approve of his/her activities in their private lives. Sickening.
    Where have I said a teacher should be fired for anything? I'm posting information. You get sickened rather easily, yes?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: A Teacher's Private Life

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Where have I said a teacher should be fired for anything? I'm posting information. You get sickened rather easily, yes?
    Ah yes, butter wouldn't melt.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •