View Poll Results: Would you support such legislation in your own country?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would support such legislation in my own country

    11 19.64%
  • No, I would oppose such legislation in my own country

    38 67.86%
  • Other - I will explain my position in a post

    7 12.50%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: Ban on furs

  1. #111
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So, as a country, we already have standards for humane treatment of fur-bearing mammals. Correct? Expanding those protections to close relatives of dogs (coyote, foxes), as well as other mammals is not out of line with our existing standards for humane and ethical treatment of animals.

    Your argument that fur should not be outlawed for moral reasons has been debunked.

    It is ALREADY a criminal act to abuse animals. Protecting fur animals would be consistent with this stance.

    Furthermore, we've had those standards for at least a hundred years WITHOUT banning meat-eating. Which renders one of your other arguments moot.

    IS this really the best you can do, throw out a bunch of fallacious nonsense riddled with grammatical errors?
    talk about idiotic arguments

    why should the fur industry be banned

    is it because its more cruel than raising animals for food or is it because you don't think fur is "necessary?

    easy question



  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why should the fur industry be banned

    is it because its more cruel than raising animals for food or is it because you don't think fur is "necessary?

    easy question
    False dichotomy. I've already provided my reasons for banning the fur industry:

    1) Fur is no longer the most effective form of winter insulation. There are other, better products that are available, rendering fur obsolete.
    2) The fur industry causes environmental damage through the use of factory farming techniques.
    3) The fur industry is cruel and inhumane.
    4) We have longstanding standards for animal cruelty that aren't being enforced with fur animals, and should be.

    I also believe that we will eventually need to ban factory farming of meat animals for the same reasons, beyond the fact that it is simply impossible to raise safe, healthy meat animals when they are confined into tiny cages, living on top of one another. This is an incredibly unsafe practice that requires factory farms to administer high doses of antibiotics to these animals to keep them from getting ill because of their living conditions. This practice, of course, is contributing to increased numbers of drug-resistant bacteria (causing major human health problems). ANd of course, factory farming has also led to increased problems with foodborne contagions.

    As I've stated several times, I have no problems with eating meat as long as the animals are humanely housed, cared for, and killed. That simply isn't the case with modern fur farming (or, for that matter, factory farms).
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 09-10-10 at 06:44 PM.

  3. #113
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    False dichotomy. I've already provided my reasons for banning the fur industry:

    1) Fur is no longer the most effective form of winter insulation. There are other, better products that are available, rendering fur obsolete.
    2) The fur industry causes environmental damage through the use of factory farming techniques.
    3) The fur industry is cruel and inhumane.

    I also believe that we will eventually need to ban factory farming of meat animals for the same reasons, beyond the fact that it is simply impossible to raise safe, healthy meat animals when they are confined into tiny cages, living on top of one another. This is an incredibly unsafe practice that requires factory farms to administer high doses of antibiotics to these animals to keep them from getting ill because of their living conditions. This practice, of course, is contributing to increased resistance to antibiotics by bacteria, and damaging human health and increased problems with foodborne contagions.

    As I've stated several times, I have no problems with eating meat as long as the animals are humanely housed, cared for, and killed. That simply isn't the case with modern fur farming (or, for that matter, factory farms).
    so again it comes down to need for fur

    now tell me-if the food industry is able to operate without being inhumane why cannot the fur industry.

    if we can have a food industry that is humane and does not do significant environmental damage than we can clearly have the same thing for the fur industry

    or are you arguing that abuses of the above is ok for meat raisers but not fur farmers?



  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    now tell me-if the food industry is able to operate without being inhumane why cannot the fur industry.

    if we can have a food industry that is humane and does not do significant environmental damage than we can clearly have the same thing for the fur industry

    or are you arguing that abuses of the above is ok for meat raisers but not fur farmers?
    These questions were answered in my post above. The one you quoted but clearly did not read.

  5. #115
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    These questions were answered in my post above. The one you quoted but clearly did not read.
    I have no problem with fur farming as long as it is carried out humanely



  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I have no problem with fur farming as long as it is carried out humanely
    It isn't. For that matter, neither is meat/egg/milk production, at this point in time. Does that bother you?

  7. #117
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It isn't. For that matter, neither is meat/egg/milk production, at this point in time. Does that bother you?
    it ranks about 37th on the things that bother me

    but the point is-the use of the animal is not the main or even secondary issue here

    BTW I catch or shoot alot of what I eat



  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it ranks about 37th on the things that bother me
    The health implications of factory farming bother me enough that we buy eggs and meat from local organic farmers. The animal suffering aspect of it bothers me because I grew up on a farm, and we actually got pretty attached to our cattle before we ate them. As lives go, they had pretty decent ones until they had a a quick (albeit not painless) death. But then, how many of us can hope for a 100% painless death? Very few.

    BTW I catch or shoot alot of what I eat
    I have no problems with that, it's a cleaner and more wholesome way of doing it. I wish more Americans had a closer connection to their food.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 09-10-10 at 07:00 PM.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ban on furs

    You like me now, don't you?

  10. #120
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Ban on furs

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You like me now, don't you?
    I judge a post on its merits not who posts it-I can bash you all over the forum or you can do the same to me and if you say something intelligent I will give you credit for it



Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •