View Poll Results: What do you think of allowing a random sample of citizens to govern?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

    6 17.65%
  • I don't like it

    19 55.88%
  • I'm neutral

    9 26.47%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Deliberative Democracy

  1. #51
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Actually I explained why every single one of your criticisms is unsound, line by line. To which you didn't bother to respond. Not that I blame you.
    Except, you didnt. You just repeated what you said before.

    Nope. You defend it by explaining why every single one of the criticisms is unsound, line by line.
    Which isnt what you're doing, you're just repeating your theory. It's circular logic.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  2. #52
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    @ Kandahar
    In reference to ‘Selection by lot’ (Athenian democracy), it’s a noble ideal. I would not mind a small experiment; keeping this model to local government (counties, cities, etc).
    In reference to following the Declaration of Independence; our government has become a monster and we must defeat the monster before anything else.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  3. #53
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    You only have to be born in the USA and 35 years of age to be the President. You are allowed to be elected into your office by a group of majority electoral votes.

    Creating this mature, jumped through X number of hoops to become a voter is the absolute worst idea that I have ever heard. Select-ism, nepotism, and crony-ism are not a good way to run a government. Our founders got it right the first time. The electoral college was their means of leveling the playing field. Not cherry picking a group of conservatives to do your voting for you. Apathy removes most of the unqualified voter opinions.

    I'm against this proposed charade of a voting system.
    Last edited by d0gbreath; 09-07-10 at 10:38 AM.

  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Our founders got it right the first time. The electoral college was their means of leveling the playing field.
    I'm not sure what "leveling the playing field" has to do with this...but in any case, no one is suggesting it be used to pick the president. But it could be used for legislatures, especially at a state and local level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane
    Not cherry picking a group of conservatives to do your voting for you.
    Cherry-picking? Group of conservatives?
    The idea is that you would get a random sample of the population so that all political views were represented in roughly the proportion to which the population held them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane
    Apathy removes most of the unqualified voter opinions.
    As long as people were under no obligation to serve, that would still be true.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-07-10 at 12:36 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    You only have to be born in the USA and 35 years of age to be the President. You are allowed to be elected into your office by a group of majority electoral votes.

    Creating this mature, jumped through X number of hoops to become a voter is the absolute worst idea that I have ever heard. Select-ism, nepotism, and crony-ism are not a good way to run a government. Our founders got it right the first time. The electoral college was their means of leveling the playing field. Not cherry picking a group of conservatives to do your voting for you. Apathy removes most of the unqualified voter opinions.

    I'm against this proposed charade of a voting system.
    Lets not get carried away, the founding fathers also kept the general public AWAY from the electoral process for the most part for good reason. We basically voted for President and that was about it.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  6. #56
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    @ Mickey
    It’s a pleasant thought that all we need to be is a natural born citizen and 35 years of age to the POTUS but, in reality I think history has shown us different. The candidates for POTUS have fallen into your negative points; select-ism, nepotism, and crony-ism. I would not want this ‘selection by lot’ based model for the federal/national nor state governments. I would only like to experiment at the local levels (counties, cities, etc).
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  7. #57
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    I suppose, on the local level, what is being proposed wouldn't be much different than having 'tribal elders'. The hard part would be trying to figure out which people were qualified to handle the task (supposing that 'elder' wouldn't be a prerequisite). If the people as a whole elected the voting gang, we'd be right back where we are now. If there was one person responsible for filling vacant seats with appointees, totalitarian local governments would emerge.

  8. #58
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    @ Mickey
    I definitely understand your concerns as I am concerned about mob rule, well, any form of tyranny. The founders of America worked from models of the pasts and thinkers of their time and I do not see any problem with us doing the same now. I still think we can experiment with this at very local levels.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I suppose, on the local level, what is being proposed wouldn't be much different than having 'tribal elders'. The hard part would be trying to figure out which people were qualified to handle the task (supposing that 'elder' wouldn't be a prerequisite). If the people as a whole elected the voting gang, we'd be right back where we are now. If there was one person responsible for filling vacant seats with appointees, totalitarian local governments would emerge.
    You could just feed the voter database into a computer and have it randomly pick some people.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Advisor Teh Internets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    351

    Re: Deliberative Democracy

    A much simpler way to decrease politcal corruption would be to put restrictions on lobbying and campaign donations along with other things that make politicians do things for the money instead of what is needed.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •