View Poll Results: Apathy - have you experienced it?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I experienced it and snapped out of it

    14 48.28%
  • No, I've never experienced it

    5 17.24%
  • I feel somewhat apathetic now, but know I'll come back around

    6 20.69%
  • I can't imagine being politically apathetic - what's wrong with you!?

    3 10.34%
  • What is apathetic?

    0 0%
  • I'm just here for the free drinks and entertainment...

    8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

  1. #1
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    I wanted to make a poll to find out if there are others here like me. I have been very interested in political issues for YEARS - until about a year ago. Not sure what happened, whether it was because it seemed the players changed, but the game remained the same.. or if it's something more.

    Something has happened to me, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I tried to blow it off at first, telling myself that it was another ebb and flow of the political world and that I would snap out of it, but it's been almost a year now, and I still find myself dwindling right on the brink of total apathy toward anything political.

    I still have very strong opinions about a lot of things, but my desire to discuss them - let alone argue them - has diminished. I never thought in a million years, that I would be something that I abhor - a politically apathetic American.

    Do you go through periods of apathy toward politics and if so, have you ever felt like you wouldn't 'snap out of it'?
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    I go through periods of apathy... it's mostly a defense mechanism. You can't really be tuned into politics all the time without it starting to alter your mood. At some point you have to let go and just focus on other things. Sometimes deciding to not care is the best medicine, but I wouldn't make it a long-term prescription.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I wanted to make a poll to find out if there are others here like me. I have been very interested in political issues for YEARS - until about a year ago. Not sure what happened, whether it was because it seemed the players changed, but the game remained the same.. or if it's something more.

    Something has happened to me, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I tried to blow it off at first, telling myself that it was another ebb and flow of the political world and that I would snap out of it, but it's been almost a year now, and I still find myself dwindling right on the brink of total apathy toward anything political.

    I still have very strong opinions about a lot of things, but my desire to discuss them - let alone argue them - has diminished. I never thought in a million years, that I would be something that I abhor - a politically apathetic American.

    Do you go through periods of apathy toward politics and if so, have you ever felt like you wouldn't 'snap out of it'?
    Basically what Orion said, it can be so mentally draining, that it's healthy to take a break from it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #4
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    I was always apathetic about politics until the attack on 9/11. Then I was interested, but never as engaged as I've been the last couple of years.
    More people than ever seem to be getting engaged.
    So what's wrong with you girl???
    Just joking....
    No, seriously..,
    SNAP OUT OF IT! :-)
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #5
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Basically what Orion said, it can be so mentally draining, that it's healthy to take a break from it.
    This site will do things to you. It's so easy to get riled up when your opinions are so strong and there is so little that you can actually do to change things.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #6
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    This site will do things to you. It's so easy to get riled up when your opinions are so strong and there is so little that you can actually do to change things.
    Pretty much.

    I've been so lazy about things, that I really don't know who's running for house and senate around here.
    Because it really doesn't matter who wins.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #7
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    I have strong opinions on a lot of issues, but I don't tend to discuss them publicly except with a select group of people (and my desire to discuss politics even with those people varies, depending on the subject). I doubt I'll vote this November, because it's meaningless and a waste of my time.

    I've found that my passion for politics has been largely supplanted by my passion for science/technology. In the grand scheme of things, science and technology have done far more than politics to make this world a better place. And to the extent that political ideas have made the world a better place, they're generally a result of some technological development anyway.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-31-10 at 02:35 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #8
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    I care about political issues and I'm very passionate about arguing them, but I am finding myself less and less interested in the actual political process. Just seems like a waste of time and energy, since the same people will get elected and re-elected no matter what I do about it, and there's nothing anyone can do to keep them from driving this country into the ground. I talk about trying to survive and trying to rebuild afterwards, but really I'm just here so I can laugh and tell everyone I told them so while we're watching it all burn.

  9. #9
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    Many people my age don't follow politics or the (important) news at all. It really makes me sad and angry because it is our generation who is going to have to deal with the problems the government has created or is creating.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." —John Adams

  10. #10
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Politics - Active or Apathetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I care about political issues and I'm very passionate about arguing them, but I am finding myself less and less interested in the actual political process. Just seems like a waste of time and energy, since the same people will get elected and re-elected no matter what I do about it, and there's nothing anyone can do to keep them from driving this country into the ground. I talk about trying to survive and trying to rebuild afterwards, but really I'm just here so I can laugh and tell everyone I told them so while we're watching it all burn.
    If people re-elect a large portion of incumbents this November, I will lose a lot of faith in the American people.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." —John Adams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •