View Poll Results: Which party best supports civil rights?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Republican Party

    28 37.84%
  • The Democrat Party

    21 28.38%
  • Neither

    19 25.68%
  • Both

    6 8.11%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 98

Thread: Which party best supports civil rights?

  1. #61
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    I don't know how anyone voted for the party that consistently blocks Gay Marriage and other LGBT legislature as "pro-Civil Rights".
    Understandably so - gay issues aren't considered to be 'civil' rights by many.
    In fact, that's the basis of the difference - the key argument. Is gay marriage/rights *civil* right or not? You could flip it around and question how a party can be more upholding of civil rights if they support abortion (as in - most Democrats support the abortion choice)

    (That doesn't sum up my thoughts on things, though)

    There's more to the issue of 'civil rights' than 'gay marriage' - and even many Democrats are opposed to gay marriage, Like President Obama.

    Basically - it didn't factor into the equation for me when I chose 'both'
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #62
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Understandably so - gay issues aren't considered to be 'civil' rights by many.
    In fact, that's the basis of the difference - the key argument. Is gay marriage/rights *civil* right or not? You could flip it around and question how a party can be more upholding of civil rights if they support abortion (as in - most Democrats support the abortion choice)

    (That doesn't sum up my thoughts on things, though)

    There's more to the issue of 'civil rights' than 'gay marriage' - and even many Democrats are opposed to gay marriage, Like President Obama.

    Basically - it didn't factor into the equation for me when I chose 'both'
    I get the rest of your point, but how are gay rights not a civil rights issue? Gay marriage aside, the fact that a homosexual couple (in certain states) can't get the same benefits as a straight couple is discrimination. And Republicans seem united in their opposition to anything involving homosexual civil unions and the benefits that come with said union.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." óJohn Adams

  3. #63
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    those are talking points, not facts. how does a kid from harlem with a crack whore mother get an equal playing field with a senator's son?
    How would you give them an "equal playing field"?


  4. #64
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    I get the rest of your point, but how are gay rights not a civil rights issue? Gay marriage aside, the fact that a homosexual couple (in certain states) can't get the same benefits as a straight couple is discrimination. And Republicans seem united in their opposition to anything involving homosexual civil unions and the benefits that come with said union.
    (I don't feel this way) But quite a few feel that 'gay' isn't natural (aka - unnatural) and thus not subject to the protections and guarantees as a natural (or civil) right would have.

    I, however, don't take issues of relationships when it comes to politics - I don't consider marriage opinions, spirituality, religion, and such things when it comes to my opinions on which party upholds or values what rights.

    In *those* areas both of the parties seem to hold opposing stances - where one side is pro the other is anti, vise versa. To me these issues are a headache and I don't based my votes on these issues unless these are the specific issues up for debate.

    If the OP had asked directly "who is more favorable to gay-marriage" or "who is more pro-life" then the answer would be more cleaved one side or the other.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 09-03-10 at 06:49 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #65
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    It depends on what right you're talking about.

    Republicans are very protective of 2nd amendment rights, but not so hot on rights granted by amendments 4-6.

    Democrats are very protective of 'human rights' (i.e. anti-discrimination, gay marriage, etc) but aren't great on the 2nd amendment.

    Both democrats and republicans crap all over the first amendment for different reasons.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #66
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    It depends on what right you're talking about.

    Republicans are very protective of 2nd amendment rights, but not so hot on rights granted by amendments 4-6.

    Democrats are very protective of 'human rights' (i.e. anti-discrimination, gay marriage, etc) but aren't great on the 2nd amendment.

    Both democrats and republicans crap all over the first amendment for different reasons.
    The bill of rights grants nothing



  7. #67
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The bill of rights grants nothing
    Oh, then I guess we have no rights.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #68
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Oh, then I guess we have no rights.
    You have rights by virtue of being human. The Bill of Rights simply prevents the government from abridging those rights. It does not grant those rights, nor is it meant to be an exhaustive list of them.

  9. #69
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Oh, then I guess we have no rights.
    I cannot help it if you are unlearned in the assumptions underlying the constitution and the bill of rights



  10. #70
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Which party best supports civil rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I cannot help it if you are unlearned in the assumptions underlying the constitution and the bill of rights
    Hell, all a person has to do is read the Bill of Rights to figure this stuff out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninth Amendment
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •