View Poll Results: The Worst Genocidal Murderer in History

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adolf Hitler

    16 18.39%
  • Andrew Jackson

    0 0%
  • Hernan Cortes

    1 1.15%
  • Josef Stalin

    33 37.93%
  • Mao Zedong

    24 27.59%
  • Genghis Khan

    8 9.20%
  • Nero

    2 2.30%
  • Emperor Hirohito

    0 0%
  • Tamerlane

    3 3.45%
  • Maximilien Robespierre

    0 0%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 151

Thread: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

  1. #131
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    It has always annoyed me a bit that every few years, Stalin's murder count mysteriously goes up a few million. It's always struck me as a kind of revisionist history shyness -- as though the guys who want to badmouth Stalin are peeking their heads out and saying, "Uh, the KGB is really gone, then, is it?"

    Stalin was a mass murdering bastard, who defaced the name of the Soviet Union and all it stood for. Stalin's true heinous crimes are enough to send him to the lowest circle of hell -- to go crashing through the floor of it, in fact. Why do you need to falsify the facts? Why dishonour the millions that did die due to him by claiming every year or every textbook edition a larger number?

    The number of people that Stalin killed, as a direct result of his policies, initiatives, or planned inactions, is somewhere from 9-13 million people. An unfathomable amount. A disgusting amount. Don't ramp it up to 15 million, or to 20, or 30, or 40, as there's no point in doing so -- nobody's sitting around saying "Oh! Well, if it was only TEN million sentient beings, and not 20, then I guess he wasn't such a bad guy after all."

    Or, perhaps I've jumped down your throat too soon, and the mistake was accidental -- I see a lot of people confusing the number of Soviet dead in World War II with the number of Soviet dead from Stalin's purges. Two entirely different things, though, sadly, two similarly astronomical numbers.
    You know what? I thought what you said when I was checking to make sure my memory was not faulty. I knew Mao was by far the leader in mass murder but eve his numbers are no more than a rough guess because China was as mysterious as it is now.

    Stalin's numbers on the other hand confused me because I would have sworn that he killed about 12.5 max, and that was also a guess.

    Every source I saw should his total between no less than 25 million but no more than 40 million,and since the goal was to find the highest number I went with the highest I found for Stalin and he was still way back in number 2 spot.

    I have no clue why the numbers keep going up. It sure isn't from records because other than the Germans in WW-II most of these mass-murderers don't keep detailed accounts on what they did.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    You know what? I thought what you said when I was checking to make sure my memory was not faulty. I knew Mao was by far the leader in mass murder but eve his numbers are no more than a rough guess because China was as mysterious as it is now.

    Stalin's numbers on the other hand confused me because I would have sworn that he killed about 12.5 max, and that was also a guess.

    Every source I saw should his total between no less than 25 million but no more than 40 million,and since the goal was to find the highest number I went with the highest I found for Stalin and he was still way back in number 2 spot.

    I have no clue why the numbers keep going up. It sure isn't from records because other than the Germans in WW-II most of these mass-murderers don't keep detailed accounts on what they did.

    Then I commend you, sir, for your analytic approach to history. It's always easy to keep sneaking up the bad deeds of your historic enemies -- especially when they're no longer around to set the record straight.

    Make no mistake, I'm not attempting to say Stalin's got a bad rap and he never harmed a soul in his life -- that'd be daft. But, as I said, it's also disrespectful to falsify the number of those murdered at his hands.

    So, anyway, well done to you.

  3. #133
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    From an efficiency POV, Truman would be hard to beat.

    .

  4. #134
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    From an efficiency POV, Truman would be hard to beat.

    .
    why, because he nuked a nation that sneak attacked the USA, and while American POWs in German hands suffered a 1% mortality rate, a third of those held by Japan died?

    Truman saved lives by using the Atomic bomb



  5. #135
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why, because he nuked a nation
    Yep.

    that sneak attacked the USA, and while American POWs in German hands suffered a 1% mortality rate, a third of those held by Japan died?
    Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

    Truman saved lives by using the Atomic bomb
    Saved some unknowable number of USA soldiers while killing hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians. Whether that was a good thing depends on your point of view.

    .

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Yep.

    Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

    Saved some unknowable number of USA soldiers while killing hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians. Whether that was a good thing depends on your point of view.

    .

    I must agree with this -- the only way to justify the American detonations of nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is if you believe that Americans inherently deserve to live more than Japanese.

    Which I severely hop you do not, for your sake.

  7. #137
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,745

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    I must agree with this -- the only way to justify the American detonations of nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is if you believe that Americans inherently deserve to live more than Japanese.

    Which I severely hop you do not, for your sake.
    Personally, I would hope that any president, during a time of war, would think his military personnel and citizens were more deserving of life than their enemies.

    Sure, a generalized wish that no humans ever need die is good, but if they're trying to kill you, it would be best if you have no major qualms about killing them, to survive.

    That said, I was under the impression that the use of nuclear bombs was to avoid invading Japan - which, I understand, was projected to probably cost more total lives in the end.

    But that is perhaps a rationalization.

    Perhaps I am missing something...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #138
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    It's obviously either Hitler, Stalin, or Mao. No one else comes close to those three. Among the three of them, it's much harder to determine who was the worst. It really boils down to how you count the number of people killed.

    If we're looking at the total number of deaths that the leaders were responsible for, then I think Mao was probably the worst. But a lot of those deaths weren't intentional; they were just due to Mao implementing horrible policies that destroyed his country. If we're only counting intentional deaths, then it's Hitler. But most of those were due to World War II rather than the Holocaust, so it's hard to personally hold him accountable for all of them despite starting the war. If we're talking about flat-out intentional murders of civilians during peace time, Stalin was the worst.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-14-10 at 09:13 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #139
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Yep.

    Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

    Saved some unknowable number of USA soldiers while killing hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians. Whether that was a good thing depends on your point of view.

    .
    actually, most people who actually understand the issue note that we would have killed over a million japanese civilians with an invasion

    if you think nuking a hostile country that committed massive acts of atrocities as well as using diplomacy as a veil to murder more than a thousand US servicemen during peacetime is the same as the mass murders Hitler and Stalin committed agains their own people, I will just write you off as another self loathing American.



  10. #140
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Worst Genocidal Mass-Murderer In History

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    I must agree with this -- the only way to justify the American detonations of nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is if you believe that Americans inherently deserve to live more than Japanese.

    Which I severely hop you do not, for your sake.
    our peoples' lives were far more valuable than that of the enemy who not only started the war but who engaged in massive war crimes-

    That hirohito was not strung up is a travesty



Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •