View Poll Results: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drug tests

    35 68.63%
  • Credit checks

    14 27.45%
  • microchip implants

    2 3.92%
  • perform sexual acts for job and or promotion

    11 21.57%
  • Criminal background checks

    37 72.55%
  • DNA tests

    3 5.88%
  • wiretapping of employee's personal phones or other communication devices

    2 3.92%
  • ankle bracelets on 24 hours a day to track where the employee goes.

    3 5.88%
  • A search of personal property of the employee's home.

    2 3.92%
  • other

    8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 104

Thread: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

    What should be legal for an employer to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

    1. Drug tests
    2. Credit checks
    3. microchip implants
    4. perform sexual acts for job and or promotion
    5. Criminal background checks
    6. DNA tests
    7. wiretapping of employee's personal phones or other communication devices
    8. ankle bracelets on 24 hours a day to track where the employee goes.
    9. A search of personal property of the employee's home.
    10. other


    Most people would agree that some of these options have nothing to do with the job. For example you own a bank then you do not want a former bank robber to work there,unless as a consultant. If you run a daycare then you do not want chester the child molester to work there. If you own a business where employees will be handling dangerous equipment you may not want a junkie. Some would argue that its their business they should be able to make an employee or applicant do what ever they want.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 08-24-10 at 02:24 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Drug tests
    Credit checks
    Criminal background checks
    Sexual favors in order to be hired or get promotions
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-24-10 at 02:21 PM.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    The only thing I care about is a criminal background check. Once I pay you, I don't care what you do with the money so I don't care about your credit, I don't care what you do with your body away from work (just don't do it at work), and I don't care what you do or where you go.

    I do care if you have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct in a criminal way. Barring that, whatever. Do your job and we will get along fine.

  4. #4
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    The only thing I care about is a criminal background check. Once I pay you, I don't care what you do with the money so I don't care about your credit, I don't care what you do with your body away from work (just don't do it at work), and I don't care what you do or where you go.

    I do care if you have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct in a criminal way. Barring that, whatever. Do your job and we will get along fine.

    The world needs more people with this line of thought.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  5. #5
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Not this topic AGAIN.
    Employers should have NO right to check ANYTHING. All they should be concerned about is if the employee does the job as asked. If not then fire them. PERIOD. If they break the law... they go to jail AND they are fired.
    Regarding criminal checks.... if they arent in jail then they should not be discriminated against.
    You going to NOT hire Charlie Sheen or Keifer Sutherland or Robert Downey because of their criminal past?
    You COULD based on their misdemeanors and felonys. But you would be a jackass.

    Although.... I did vote for the sax acts *giggle*
    Last edited by The Giant Noodle; 08-24-10 at 02:34 PM.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Not this topic AGAIN.
    Employers should have NO right to check ANYTHING. All they should be concerned about is if the employee does the job as asked. If not then fire them. PERIOD. If they break the law... they go to jail AND they are fired.
    Regarding criminal checks.... if they arent in jail then they should not be discriminated against.
    You going to NOT hire Charlie Sheen or Keifer Sutherland or Robert Downey because of their criminal past?
    You COULD based on their misdemeanors and felonys. But you would be a jackass.
    No, I wouldn't hire either one if they have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct that brought criminal charges. It's a liability to my organization to have someone with that poor of judgment.

  7. #7
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No, I wouldn't hire either one if they have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct that brought criminal charges. It's a liability to my organization to have someone with that poor of judgment.
    No its not.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    No its not.
    Yes it is.

  9. #9
    Educator hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Last Seen
    10-23-15 @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    620

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    No its not.
    Actually, if a daycare hires a criminal pedophile, it is their liability and the company/organization can be sued for negligence. Frankly, all employer needs to track criminal history and at least test for drugs. for example, employers should check for drugs for jobs where people can place others in danger such a deliver person and criminal history so a bank doesn't employ a bank robber. Each of these things can make insurance for the company skyrocket.
    Last edited by hallam; 08-24-10 at 07:02 PM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Actually, if a daycare hires a criminal pedophile, it is their liability and the company/organization can be sued for negligence. Frankly, all employer needs to track criminal history and at least test for drugs. for example, employers should check for drugs for jobs where people can place others in danger such a deliver person and criminal history so a bank doesn't employ a bank robber. Each of these things can make insurance for the company skyrocket.
    Someone like that guy with his insistence that I don't have any right to withhold my job opportunity in exchange for some upfront assurance will make me want to mark every box HR has for any kind of check under the sun. When they act like they have something to hide, they usually do.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •