View Poll Results: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drug tests

    35 68.63%
  • Credit checks

    14 27.45%
  • microchip implants

    2 3.92%
  • perform sexual acts for job and or promotion

    11 21.57%
  • Criminal background checks

    37 72.55%
  • DNA tests

    3 5.88%
  • wiretapping of employee's personal phones or other communication devices

    2 3.92%
  • ankle bracelets on 24 hours a day to track where the employee goes.

    3 5.88%
  • A search of personal property of the employee's home.

    2 3.92%
  • other

    8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 104

Thread: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

  1. #71
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    He doesn't...it appears that he is butthurt because there's something in his background that he doesn't want disclosed to an employer because it would be a deal breaker. That's PRECISELY why background checks are important in the hiring process.
    Or the reason people go back to a life of crime. Because they did their jailtime and paid fir what they did but instead of getting a clean slate upon release they're treated like second class citizens because they have a "record". All because of a bar fight or possession of coke (personal use) when they were in their early 20's.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Or the reason people go back to a life of crime. Because they did their jailtime and paid fir what they did but instead of getting a clean slate upon release they're treated like second class citizens because they have a "record". All because of a bar fight or possession of coke (personal use) when they were in their early 20's.
    Well there's a way around that...don't get into a bar fight or get caught possessing cocaine if you care about your career.

  3. #73
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:40 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Well there's a way around that...don't get into a bar fight or get caught possessing cocaine if you care about your career.
    Or, mayb, we could let them get on with their lives after paying their debt to society like a logical, and modern society should [IMO]. Such primitive thinking, and backwards to boot - think about the impact on said person if after being let out of jail, paying his debt to society, etc he was treated like **** - even if it wasn't something like rape or murder. Bet he'd be REALLY motivated to steer clear of crime now.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Or, mayb, we could let them get on with their lives after paying their debt to society like a logical, and modern society should [IMO].
    I am not doing anything to stop them from doing just that. All I am doing is trying to weed through job candidates to find the best one for my purposes. And since their pay comes out of my budget, I am going to use every means available to find the very best of the best.

    Such primitive thinking, and backwards to boot - think about the impact on said person if after being let out of jail, paying his debt to society, etc he was treated like **** - even if it wasn't something like rape or murder. Bet he'd be REALLY motivated to steer clear of crime now.
    Well see, here's the thing...I wouldn't even take note of a possession charge older than 3 years on a person's background check. An assault charge, however, is a deal breaker especially if it's in concert with domestic violence (I might reconsider if it was a REALLY old charge and it was a bar fight situation). Any kind of sexual offense is going to find their file in the trash; I don't care if it was just urinating in public. It's too much of a liability to hire someone who has that kind of record if something were to happen while they were at work. It would immediately come back on our organization that we knew he was a sex offender. You can blame the litigious nature of our society for that one, not the background check.

    It's not my concern how society treats a candidate. It's my concern to pick the best candidate possible while considering things like liability issues. Criminal background checks will ALWAYS be done as long as I am in charge at work.

  5. #75
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Well see, here's the thing...I wouldn't even take note of a possession charge older than 3 years on a person's background check. An assault charge, however, is a deal breaker especially if it's in concert with domestic violence (I might reconsider if it was a REALLY old charge and it was a bar fight situation). Any kind of sexual offense is going to find their file in the trash; I don't care if it was just urinating in public. It's too much of a liability to hire someone who has that kind of record if something were to happen while they were at work. It would immediately come back on our organization that we knew he was a sex offender. You can blame the litigious nature of our society for that one, not the background check.

    It's not my concern how society treats a candidate. It's my concern to pick the best candidate possible while considering things like liability issues. Criminal background checks will ALWAYS be done as long as I am in charge at work.
    Are you talking about charges or convictions?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #76
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I am not doing anything to stop them from doing just that. All I am doing is trying to weed through job candidates to find the best one for my purposes. And since their pay comes out of my budget, I am going to use every means available to find the very best of the best.



    Well see, here's the thing...I wouldn't even take note of a possession charge older than 3 years on a person's background check. An assault charge, however, is a deal breaker especially if it's in concert with domestic violence (I might reconsider if it was a REALLY old charge and it was a bar fight situation). Any kind of sexual offense is going to find their file in the trash; I don't care if it was just urinating in public. It's too much of a liability to hire someone who has that kind of record if something were to happen while they were at work. It would immediately come back on our organization that we knew he was a sex offender. You can blame the litigious nature of our society for that one, not the background check.

    It's not my concern how society treats a candidate. It's my concern to pick the best candidate possible while considering things like liability issues. Criminal background checks will ALWAYS be done as long as I am in charge at work.
    So milquetoast and wallflowers are the best of the best? Hardly, they're job security people. The don't share knowledge at work, and they're scared to death to try something new and different. I'd hire the more 'colorful' people if I were you. Innovation is often the key to greater company success.

  7. #77
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    So milquetoast and wallflowers are the best of the best? Hardly, they're job security people. The don't share knowledge at work, and they're scared to death to try something new and different. I'd hire the more 'colorful' people if I were you. Innovation is often the key to greater company success.
    Criminality =/= innovation.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Are you talking about charges or convictions?
    Convictions. I am a firm believer that if the justice system couldnt convict you, neither should I.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    So milquetoast and wallflowers are the best of the best? Hardly, they're job security people. The don't share knowledge at work, and they're scared to death to try something new and different. I'd hire the more 'colorful' people if I were you. Innovation is often the key to greater company success.
    Colorful personalities abound within our organization. None of those colors are the prison jumpsuit orange variety and never will be. It makes me wonder what kind of life you lead if you think law abiding citizens have to be "milquetoast and wallflowers".

  10. #80
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    So milquetoast and wallflowers are the best of the best? Hardly, they're job security people. The don't share knowledge at work, and they're scared to death to try something new and different. I'd hire the more 'colorful' people if I were you. Innovation is often the key to greater company success.
    WTF?

    I work with four software developers who don't have criminal records. One of them is a roller derby gal who is also a scuba diver. Another one is a drummer in a band and actually just got back from 2 weeks of touring with them. A third one wanders around here from time to time with Mickey Mouse feet and hands on just for ****s and giggles. He was also at the same Dead concert I was at in '95 right before Jerry died. Our project manager is an Irishman (need I really say more? ) And then there's me. I'd say we're a pretty damn 'colorful' bunch, hardly wallflowers but yet not ex-convicts.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •