View Poll Results: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drug tests

    35 68.63%
  • Credit checks

    14 27.45%
  • microchip implants

    2 3.92%
  • perform sexual acts for job and or promotion

    11 21.57%
  • Criminal background checks

    37 72.55%
  • DNA tests

    3 5.88%
  • wiretapping of employee's personal phones or other communication devices

    2 3.92%
  • ankle bracelets on 24 hours a day to track where the employee goes.

    3 5.88%
  • A search of personal property of the employee's home.

    2 3.92%
  • other

    8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 104

Thread: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

  1. #61
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    You both are very... VERY wrong. You are making the workers of America sad.
    I *am* a worker of America.

  2. #62
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    You are making the workers of America sad.
    The bolded section is exactly what I was talking about, Noodle.

    I'm not doing anything to anybody. If someone is saddened by my words, it is becuase they choose to be saddened by them.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #63
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The bolded section is exactly what I was talking about, Noodle.

    I'm not doing anything to anybody. If someone is saddened by my words, it is becuase they choose to be saddened by them.
    Thats a bit of a lame argument. Americans have lost jobs to outsourcing to other countries. Those people choose to be sad. They did nothing wrong. They just made more money than what the company wanted. I feel ANY company that outsources jobs unless 100% nessasary, should be fined for the difference in what they gained by taking jobs from Americans.

    Anyhow... YOu are wrong.... I am correct.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  4. #64
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Thats a bit of a lame argument. Americans have lost jobs to outsourcing to other countries.
    How on Earth can you call my argument lame, when the rebuttal you've come up with has absolutley nothing to do with the argument I presented or the thread for that matter.

    Talk about lame.

    If I made an argument about how Jello Brand Pudding pops are the best snack, would you rebut my argumetn by pointing out that panda bears eat bamboo?


    Those people choose to be sad.
    What happened to them sucks, but wallowing in self-pity it ain't putting food on the table. I ran a company in the construction industry.

    I didn't do anything to cause the housing market to collapse and that industry to essentally disappear. I just built what people hired me to build.

    Now that insustry is in tatters through no fault of my own. I could sit around feeling sorry for myself, or I can get proactive and work my ass off to qualify myself for a different career.

    Which one do you think I'm doing?

    I've got a ton of friends who have lost their jobs. Guys who've been in construction for 30+ years who are absurdly talented at their craft. It sucks that they aren't able to work in that field anymore, but they've just got to bite the bullet and find another career because things ain't going back to how it was any time soon".

    If they choose instead to pine away for that which was lost, things will only get worse for them. AOnce they make that choice, they are actively contributing to their own misfortune.

    They did nothing wrong.
    No, they didn't. But if they choose to stagnate and refuse to place themselves in a position where they won't get outsourced, then they aren't doing anything right either.


    They just made more money than what the company wanted. I feel ANY company that outsources jobs unless 100% nessasary, should be fined for the difference in what they gained by taking jobs from Americans.
    I'd be perfectly OK with increasing taxes for the companies that outsource their labor. I buy local stuff as much as I possibly can because I personally disagree with outsourcing. Which is why the strawman you've presented here is completely irrelevent to the arguments I actually have presented.

    Simply put: Sometimes bad things happen that aren't our fault. Instead of focussing on the past while hoping something good happens to offset the bad, we need to take positive action to offset the bad circumstances.

    If we do not take action, we have made the choice to become complicit in our own unhappiness.


    Anyhow... YOu are wrong.... I am correct.
    You can't really say I'm wrong and you are correct if your entire rebuttal is about something other than what I've been arguing.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #65
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Just because one feels sorry for themselves doesn't mean they're sitting around doing it. There's nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody else cares about you more than you.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  6. #66
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Just because one feels sorry for themselves doesn't mean they're sitting around doing it. There's nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody else cares about you more than you.
    The thing about feeling sorry for one's self is that it is a self-defeating action. When someone slips into that cycle, it becomes increasingly difficult to pull themselves out of it. Everything becomes disasterized, even small things.

    I've been in that state before, and I'm speaking as someone who has come out the other side of it. Even though I thought I was being proactive, I was actually stuck in a rut. I was unable to get out of myself out of there until I changed my entire paradigm.

    What I'm arguing in favor of here is the resulting paradigm.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #67
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The thing about feeling sorry for one's self is that it is a self-defeating action. When someone slips into that cycle, it becomes increasingly difficult to pull themselves out of it. Everything becomes disasterized, even small things.

    I've been in that state before, and I'm speaking as someone who has come out the other side of it. Even though I thought I was being proactive, I was actually stuck in a rut. I was unable to get out of myself out of there until I changed my entire paradigm.

    What I'm arguing in favor of here is the resulting paradigm.
    Bottom line is....
    the Blackhawks wont win another championship in 50 years.... and because YOU feel its the right of a company to ABUSE an applicant by submitting them to revealing their PERSONAL life and dance like a chicken on a hot plate to get a job is dead WRONG!

    Its ETHICALLY wrong. We should NOT be pressured into giving up any of our life! All they need to do is interview me and look at my WORK history. PERIOD!
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  8. #68
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Bottom line is....
    the Blackhawks wont win another championship in 50 years.... and because YOU feel its the right of a company to ABUSE an applicant by submitting them to revealing their PERSONAL life and dance like a chicken on a hot plate to get a job is dead WRONG!

    Its ETHICALLY wrong. We should NOT be pressured into giving up any of our life! All they need to do is interview me and look at my WORK history. PERIOD!
    The "Two parts hyperbole with a dash of 'because I said so' argument" isn't a particularly compelling one, to be honest.

    It doesn't present a case for your vehemently held opinion in any way.

    In truth, it damages your position because it makes it appear to have no legitimate logical basis.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Bottom line is....
    the Blackhawks wont win another championship in 50 years.... and because YOU feel its the right of a company to ABUSE an applicant by submitting them to revealing their PERSONAL life and dance like a chicken on a hot plate to get a job is dead WRONG!

    Its ETHICALLY wrong. We should NOT be pressured into giving up any of our life! All they need to do is interview me and look at my WORK history. PERIOD!
    You aren't giving up your life. That's an appeal to the absurd.

    You are submitting to a mutual agreement...you will give me access to your background information and in exchange, I will consider you as a candidate for a job. Don't like my offer, don't take it. It's really that simple.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The "Two parts hyperbole with a dash of 'because I said so' argument" isn't a particularly compelling one, to be honest.

    It doesn't present a case for your vehemently held opinion in any way.

    In truth, it damages your position because it makes it appear to have no legitimate logical basis.
    He doesn't...it appears that he is butthurt because there's something in his background that he doesn't want disclosed to an employer because it would be a deal breaker. That's PRECISELY why background checks are important in the hiring process.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •