View Poll Results: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drug tests

    35 68.63%
  • Credit checks

    14 27.45%
  • microchip implants

    2 3.92%
  • perform sexual acts for job and or promotion

    11 21.57%
  • Criminal background checks

    37 72.55%
  • DNA tests

    3 5.88%
  • wiretapping of employee's personal phones or other communication devices

    2 3.92%
  • ankle bracelets on 24 hours a day to track where the employee goes.

    3 5.88%
  • A search of personal property of the employee's home.

    2 3.92%
  • other

    8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 104

Thread: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I believe in giving felons a second chance, but like you, not violent or sexual crimes.
    I also picked drug testing. Not saying I wouldn't hire a pot smoker but I wouldn't hire an addict.
    The good thing about that is that it doesn't take much to spot an addict. The work habits of an addict usually put them on the chopping block quicker than you can say "tweaker".

  2. #92
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    WTF?

    I work with four software developers who don't have criminal records. One of them is a roller derby gal who is also a scuba diver. Another one is a drummer in a band and actually just got back from 2 weeks of touring with them. A third one wanders around here from time to time with Mickey Mouse feet and hands on just for ****s and giggles. He was also at the same Dead concert I was at in '95 right before Jerry died. Our project manager is an Irishman (need I really say more? ) And then there's me. I'd say we're a pretty damn 'colorful' bunch, hardly wallflowers but yet not ex-convicts.
    I really like this post!

    I mean come on, software geeks are stereotypically known for being the most introverted people on the planet. I fear that your co-workers might be telling you some tall tales. Except of course, the guy at the Grateful Dead concert. lolz!

  3. #93
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Colorful personalities abound within our organization. None of those colors are the prison jumpsuit orange variety and never will be. It makes me wonder what kind of life you lead if you think law abiding citizens have to be "milquetoast and wallflowers".
    I didn't say that milquetoast and wallflowers applied to all law abiding citizens. I was simply noting that that is what you would have left if all of the employment checks listed in the OP were applied.

  4. #94
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Companies should be allowed by law to filter their employees how they see fit.

    Having said that, testing for drugs but not alcohol or speeding tickets is hypocritical. Especially since most hard drugs are out of the system in a couple of days so you won't even detect them anyway.

    If you're concerned about people being intoxicated then you should test for alcohol as well, and for the same reason.

    If you're concerned about the person's respect for the law, then you should check for speeding and parking tickets as well, and for the same reason.

    Otherwise you're a damn hypocrite.

  5. #95
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    (please delete me)

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I didn't say that milquetoast and wallflowers applied to all law abiding citizens. I was simply noting that that is what you would have left if all of the employment checks listed in the OP were applied.
    Not even close to accurate....

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Companies should be allowed by law to filter their employees how they see fit.

    Having said that, testing for drugs but not alcohol or speeding tickets is hypocritical. Especially since most hard drugs are out of the system in a couple of days so you won't even detect them anyway.

    If you're concerned about people being intoxicated then you should test for alcohol as well, and for the same reason.

    If you're concerned about the person's respect for the law, then you should check for speeding and parking tickets as well, and for the same reason.

    Otherwise you're a damn hypocrite.
    I do check for traffic violations for positions that drive on the job.

    Alcohol is legal. Cocaine is not. I am not going to enforce prohibitions on my guys that the government doesn't. There's nothing hypocritical about it.

  8. #98
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I really like this post!

    I mean come on, software geeks are stereotypically known for being the most introverted people on the planet. I fear that your co-workers might be telling you some tall tales. Except of course, the guy at the Grateful Dead concert. lolz!
    Stereotypically, yes. But it's been my experience as a "software geek", that said stereotype is just that: A stereotype with only a fragment of the "software geeks" fitting said description.

    My point was that I have had most of the aforementioned pre-employment checks (drug tests, credit checks, background checks, criminal record checks, etc) and I'm hardly what one would call a wallflower. Additionally, I have worked with a number of other software folks who have had the same checks and they were also not what people would call wallflowers.

  9. #99
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    I dont know how many OTHER ways to explain simple points that Im making. My freakin' CAT understands already. I dont want companies chosing anyone because of their personal finance, whether it be good or otherwise. *cat is nodding* *slipping sheet of seaweed to cat*
    The part in bold has been totally understood. That is your opinion on the matter, and you are free to have that opinion.

    But the simple fact that you hold that opinion is not enough to make the claim that it is the correct opinion and dissenting opinions are "wrong". In such instances, something must be presented to defend the veracity of said opinion and to show the falsehood of the dissenting opinion. One must either present a logical argument in favor of the opinion or some sort of fact-based evidence which supports that opinion over the other one. Repeatedly saying "I'm right and you're wrong" doesn't do that, and offers nothing worthy of rebuttal.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #100
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I do check for traffic violations for positions that drive on the job.
    If the position requires driving, do you also test for alcohol use? Why not? They might drive while drunk on the job. I mean, that's the exact same reasoning you use to justify drug testing isn't it? OMG they might get stoned on the job!1!11 So where's the test for alcohol use? If you think you need to know whether they smoked a joint over a week ago, why wouldn't you need to know that they drank a 12-pack last weekend also??

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Alcohol is legal. Cocaine is not.
    So what? It's not your job to enforce the laws. You might say you care about a perspective employee's respect for the law, but of course that goes out the window if you don't also check for driving violations (even if the position doesn't require driving). If you care about recreational habits but you don't care about other ways they break the law, you're a hypocrite. The point still stands.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •