View Poll Results: Is Islam as a religion evil/a religion of war?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    113 59.16%
  • No

    78 40.84%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 109

Thread: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    I would say it is only opinionated if you think "turn the other cheek" is bad or that "kill the idolaters wherever you find them" is good.
    Okay... I'll counter with:

    Christianity:
    Jeremiah 50:21 (NIV)
    "Attack the land of Merathaim and those who live in Pekod. Pursue, kill and completely destroy them," declares the LORD. "Do everything I have commanded you."

    Deuteronomy 2:32-34
    Then Sihon came out against us, he and all his people, to fight at Jahaz. And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.

    Islam:
    Whoever kills another one without justifiable cause, surely he is killing all of humanity. And whoever saves the life of another one, surely he saves the lives of all of humanity. [Sura Al Ma'aidah: Ayah 32]

    Aside from the fact not all of the Crusades even targeted Muslims it was only offensive in the sense that it was a counter-offensive. Muslim armies kept advancing and this was responsible for the first three crusades. After the fourth crusade, which did not target Muslims, they were offensive, but they were also failures for the most part.
    Political reasons may change, but the original intent of the Crusades was religious, this is a non-debatable fact.

    Not really. As I said most people in Latin America are either of primarily Spanish heritage or a mixture of native and Spanish. The U.S. and Canada are primarily Christian, but not because we converted the natives.
    They are of Spanish heritage because they were conquered and murdered into submission, how is this not obvious?

    Religion wasn't really relevant to it at all. The Spanish were looking for land and riches.
    And the Muslims were looking for land and riches as well, what's your point?

    I don't agree with that sort of distinction. A religion is defined by those teachings that constitute its central tenets. Christianity is defined first and foremost by the teachings of Jesus Christ just as Buddhism is defined first and foremost by the teachings of Buddha. Islam is defined first and foremost by the teachings of Muhammad. Muslims would have to reject substantial parts of Muhammad's teachings to reconcile any support of a peaceful and tolerant Islamic faith. That to me says all that needs to be said about how one should characterize Islam.
    I think that I nailed it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Islam is a bunch of pikers compared to the Catholic Church.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Religion is whatever the followers make it to be. You can easily be a Muslim and be the most peaceful person in the world. Unfortunately there is a lot of money and power to be had for those that use the religion for war.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #44
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    I'm shocked at the results of this poll...truly. Forget the fact that those who view Islam as an evil religion is deeply mistaken to begin with, but thinking realistically, that couldn't be possible. Islam has 1.5 billion followers. If this religion truly was evil, and truly was dedicated to war and expansionism, we wouldn't be here right now.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #45
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I'm shocked at the results of this poll...truly. Forget the fact that those who view Islam as an evil religion is deeply mistaken to begin with, but thinking realistically, that couldn't be possible. Islam has 1.5 billion followers. If this religion truly was evil, and truly was dedicated to war and expansionism, we wouldn't be here right now.
    Shocked .... really?
    I'm not. There are alot of stupid people on these forums. I'd just wish they had the guts to say what they think about Islam in a public poll. Wonder how many of those numbers would drop ....


  6. #46
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    I'd wager the stats would be different if Sanitas had made votes public. I sure as hell would have. I do that for MY controversial polls anyway, to publicly denounce the collective retards of this forum.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #47
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Islam is not an evil/war-mongering religion. However, just as in every sect or group, there are those who attempt to hijack the tenets of the religion to justify their own agendas. Terrorist groups are only a small fraction of the Muslims in the world and should not be used as the symbol of the religion, no more than those Catholic priests who molested children should be viewed as the norm for the Catholic church.

  8. #48
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    From my perspective, ALL organized religions are a mixture of good and bad. Broadbrush labels are for hatemongers, bigots, propagandists, and idiots that buy propaganda.

    "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."-L. Long

  9. #49
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Few converts eh?
    Any source for that claim?
    I have many sources, but just consider how much of the Muslim population in Europe or North America are immigrants. You'll find very quickly that immigrants from Muslim countries or regions make up the overwhelming majority of Muslims in the West. There are converts but they're a small minority.

    And so? I still don't see the big deal Islam spread some through war, get over it. I'm sure the victims 2,000 years ago are very grateful over the concern you express ....
    Except it wasn't 2,000 years ago or even 1,000 years ago. It also wasn't some, but the vast majority. The Middle East and North Africa is dominantly Muslim because they came under the control of a Muslim empire. It is also the case with the Muslim populations of South and Central Asia. Muslim populations in the Balkans are also there because of a Muslim empire, specifically the Ottomans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Islam is defined by the holy text. That is what makes up alot of what is Islam and always will.
    Prophet Mohammed is just one more Prophet in a line of Messengers of God.

    Jesus is more important by role in Islam than Prophet Mohammed ever will be
    Funny, because I don't see any Muslims getting their panties in a bunch over depictions of Christ. Muhammad is clearly the central religious figure of Islam and it is his teachings on which Muslims have based their actions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Okay... I'll counter with:

    Christianity:
    Jeremiah 50:21 (NIV)
    "Attack the land of Merathaim and those who live in Pekod. Pursue, kill and completely destroy them," declares the LORD. "Do everything I have commanded you."

    Deuteronomy 2:32-34
    Then Sihon came out against us, he and all his people, to fight at Jahaz. And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.
    I figured someone would foolishly counter with Old Testament verses. Were these the teachings of Christ? No. His were all in the New Testament, specifically the Gospels.

    Political reasons may change, but the original intent of the Crusades was religious, this is a non-debatable fact.
    Actually, it is quite debateable

    They are of Spanish heritage because they were conquered and murdered into submission, how is this not obvious?
    That doesn't even make sense. Spanish heritage means they got down and dirty with some Spaniards or are Spaniards. Either way it does not translate to forcing conversion. I am not saying people weren't forced, but most of the population has at least some Spanish ancestry meaning they would likely be Christian either way.

    And the Muslims were looking for land and riches as well, what's your point?
    My point is the Spanish were not motivated by religion at all, while Muslim empires were.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I'm shocked at the results of this poll...truly. Forget the fact that those who view Islam as an evil religion is deeply mistaken to begin with, but thinking realistically, that couldn't be possible. Islam has 1.5 billion followers. If this religion truly was evil, and truly was dedicated to war and expansionism, we wouldn't be here right now.
    Not at all. Whatever one says about Islam most people are not evil or dedicated to war. Hence even if their religion endorses war and oppression it doesn't mean the people who practice it will.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  10. #50
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    I figured someone would foolishly counter with Old Testament verses. Were these the teachings of Christ? No. His were all in the New Testament, specifically the Gospels.
    Bible
    ˈbaɪ bəlShow Spelled[bahy-buh l] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. the collection of sacred writings of the Christian religion, comprising the Old and New Testaments.
    2. Also called Hebrew Scriptures. the collection of sacred writings of the Jewish religion: known to Christians as the Old Testament.
    3. ( often lowercase ) the sacred writings of any religion.
    4. ( lowercase ) any book, reference work, periodical, etc., accepted as authoritative, informative, or reliable: He regarded that particular bird book as the birdwatchers' bible.


    Bible | Define Bible at Dictionary.com

    The Christian Bible is divided into two parts. The first is called the Old Testament, containing the 39 books of Hebrew Scripture, and the second portion is called the New Testament, containing 27 books.

    Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Look, we are talking about the religion of Christianity, not just the teachings of Jesus. Christians follow the Bible, all of it. When I was going to church, the Pastor would refer to New and Old Testament. If you want to change your argument, that is fine, but making such a silly change in the debate is ridiculous and the only one looking foolish is you.

    Actually, it is quite debateable
    Right… then debate it. Like the hatred debate and the punitive parenting argument that you had, your opinion means nothing.

    Further, if the Muslims conquered Jerusalem for religious reasons and the Christians invaded to get the city back for religious reasons, then the Crusades were religious.

    the term crusades refers to a series of endeavors by the church to promote various religious and moral causes

    The Crusades &mdash; History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

    The Crusades were a series of religiously sanctioned military campaigns waged by much of Western Christian Europe, particularly the Franks of France and the Holy Roman Empire. The specific crusades to restore Christian control of the Holy Land were fought over a period of nearly 200 years, between 1095 and 1291.

    Crusades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    A religious war is a war caused by, or justified by, religious differences. It can involve one state with an established religion against another state with a different religion or a different sect within the same religion, or a religiously motivated group attempting to spread its faith by violence, or to suppress another group because of its religious beliefs or practices. The Muslim conquests, the French Wars of Religion, the Crusades, and the Reconquista are frequently cited historical examples.

    Religious war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    That doesn't even make sense. Spanish heritage means they got down and dirty with some Spaniards or are Spaniards. Either way it does not translate to forcing conversion. I am not saying people weren't forced, but most of the population has at least some Spanish ancestry meaning they would likely be Christian either way.
    Of course it makes sense. Ancestry is irrelevant. The reason that Central and South America is Catholic is because the Spanish Catholics conquered the Americas and forced their religion on the natives.

    The Spaniards were committed, by Vatican decree, to convert their New World indigenous subjects to Catholicism. However, often initial efforts were questionably successful, as the indigenous people added Catholicism into their longstanding traditional ceremonies and beliefs. The many native expressions, forms, practices, and items of art could be considered idolatry and prohibited or destroyed by Spanish missionaries, military, and civilians. This included religious items, sculptures, and jewelry made of gold or silver, which were melted down before shipment to Spain.

    Spanish colonization of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    My point is the Spanish were not motivated by religion at all, while Muslim empires were.
    [i]The Spaniards were committed, by Vatican decree, to convert their New World indigenous subjects to Catholicism.

    Whatever one says about Islam most people are not evil or dedicated to war.
    Well said… if the people are not evil or dedicated to war, then it isn’t a religion of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •