View Poll Results: Read Question

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rush is right

    7 25.93%
  • Rush is wrong

    20 74.07%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

  1. #21
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Nobody wants it... at that price. That's pretty common.
    So I guess going from $109,000 to $101,500 makes all of the difference eh?

    $109k is the Tesla roadster before tax credits. You really think your argument is going to hold up and support Rush's logic?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    The $7,500 tax credit is just one more way the incompetent fascists in the Messiah's Administration are stealing money from people who do not want a Government Motors car to support the unionistas who can't find anything productive to do if they weren't mooching off the taxpayers.

    Naturally Rush is right.

  3. #23
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So to say "nobody wants it" is hyperbole. The more accurate thing would probably say is that "Shows many people don't find it worth the cost". A legitimate argument could be made on that one.

    Pointing at the Teslar or the Fisker and their production numbers wouldn't really disprove that point.
    On the aspect of price to value, you're correct. However, on the basis of Rush's asinine argument that tax credit = no one wants it period, both prove very pointed examples of Rush being full of crap.

    Both are not running exactly large production numbers when compared to standard production numbers for traditional cars.
    Not at the current moment no, but Fiskar is scaling up to 15,000 for its Karma and I believe the roadster is going well beyond that as well.

    Additionally, both are in the $80-100k range to my understanding which in and of itself prices it out of the point where its something that the majority of the public is considering as their car.
    Which further proves that the credit is rather irrelevant to people wanting the cars.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #24
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So I guess going from $109,000 to $101,500 makes all of the difference eh?

    $109k is the Tesla roadster before tax credits. You really think your argument is going to hold up and support Rush's logic?
    I don't know why any tax credit for a product would be a good thing. The government doesn't have it's own money. That is tax payer money to begin with. Let the free market work and stop trying to pick winners and losers. That's not the job of the government.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    On the aspect of price to value, you're correct. However, on the basis of Rush's asinine argument that tax credit = no one wants it period, both prove very pointed examples of Rush being full of crap.
    Explain why anyone should have to pay higher taxes to reduce the price of a product others wouldn't buy if the tax credit didn't exist.

  6. #26
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Explain why anyone should have to pay higher taxes to reduce the price of a product others wouldn't buy if the tax credit didn't exist.
    It's to promote conservation. The hybrids and electric cars are better for the environment, although they cost slightly more. You can keep guzzling gas, its cheaper, but its worse for the environment. We need to transition from gas guzzling to electric cars because we will run out of oil eventually and because of global warming.

    A tax break boosts demand, it doesn't mean a product is not in demand or not wanted, it simply means that by giving a tax break, demand will be higher than what it originally was. The Priuses were in high demand, they weren't in stock a few years ago, and they still had a tax break at that time.

  7. #27
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I don't know why any tax credit for a product would be a good thing.
    Like a catalytic converter?
    How about low water showers in arid locations?

    The government doesn't have it's own money. That is tax payer money to begin with. Let the free market work and stop trying to pick winners and losers. That's not the job of the government.
    Except we don't have a free market. The only time a free market exists is during the short period of time where anarchy exists before being rapidly turned into Despotism. Furthermore, the government does have the job of picking industries that are beneficial to the economy. And the government does pick winners and losers when it spends defense money.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    It's to promote conservation.
    No. it's not.

    They're ELECTRIC CARS.

    That means, since no one outside the United States is going to be stupid enough to buy the things, and since most of the electricity in the United States is produced by BURNING fossil fuels, notably COAL, that the car isn't going to do squat about reducing CO2 emission.

    Not to mention the fact that the Anthropogenic Global Warming Hoax has been uncorked for well over a year now, anyway.

    No. The only reason for the subsidy is to generate some market interest to create the illusion that Government Motors is producing a product anyone wants.

    The hybrids and electric cars are better for the environment, although they cost slightly more. You can keep guzzling gas, its cheaper, but its worse for the environment.
    I don't guzzle gas. I find it's bad for my heartburn.

    My ancient 10 mpg van loves the stuff, and it's sheer mass and presence on the road simply pushes the little hybridies out of my way.

    So, what's your point again? That you think sompe people should be robbed because others have rocks in their heads and swallow the trendiest eco-freak guff that will get them laid this week? Well, since I'm been ordered to pay the bill, I'm not going along with the game.

    We need to transition from gas guzzling to electric cars because we will run out of oil eventually and because of global warming.
    When, in three to four hundred years, the world begins to run out of oil, the people then will have the opportunity to pay bogus tax credits to scammers lying to them. No reason to play along today.

    A tax break boosts demand, it doesn't mean a product is not in demand or not wanted,
    If the product had enough demand to justify it's existence, there wouldn't be a desire by it's sellers to steal money from the taxpayers to bribe others to buy it.

    That's not hard to understand, is it?

    it simply means that by giving a tax break, demand will be higher than what it originally was.
    Right.

    And the government has what constitutional authority to meddle in the free market in this manner?

    Don't cite the commerce clause. This isn't regulating commerce, this is manipulating commerce to favor politically connected friends.

    The Priuses were in high demand, they weren't in stock a few years ago, and they still had a tax break at that time.
    And...the arguments against the Volt were equally valid against the Priuses. So what's your point, that when the government makes a gigantic mistake once, it's free to repeat it whenever it wants?

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Like a catalytic converter?
    If a person wanted a catalytic converter (god knows why, I don't) he has always had the freedom to go out and buy one with his own money.

    Not complicated at all.

    How about low water showers in arid locations?
    How about them? Is there some reason someone in the desert needs a subsidy to buy a gadget that reduces his water bill? Isn't he already getting a savings by buying it himself?

    Except we don't have a free market.
    No.

    We have the government stealing money from some taxpayers to give other people a present to appease racketeers that have succeeded in seizing control of a major formerly free industry.

    The only time a free market exists is during the short period of time where anarchy exists before being rapidly turned into Despotism.
    Yawn.

    Borrrrrrrinnggggg.

    And quite irrelevant.

    If anyone can figure out it's supposed relationship to Government Motors demanding taxes be stolen to finance sales of is junky car.

    Furthermore, the government does have the job of picking industries that are beneficial to the economy.
    Actually, no it doesn't it.

    Welcome to the Constitution of the United States of America.

    When you finally read it for the first time, you'll notice distinct lack of anything giving the government the authority to discriminate among citizens.

    And the government does pick winners and losers when it spends defense money.
    No. The government picks companies that have presented bids that have satisfied the RFP in better ways than the competitors, for the most part. Unless you're Northrop-Grumman and you've won the new refueling tanker bid three times, and Boeing's pals in government keep getting it re-opened because they're sore losers.

  10. #30
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: A tax credit for a product means no one wants to buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No. it's not.

    They're ELECTRIC CARS.

    That means, since no one outside the United States is going to be stupid enough to buy the things, and since most of the electricity in the United States is produced by BURNING fossil fuels, notably COAL, that the car isn't going to do squat about reducing CO2 emission.

    Not to mention the fact that the Anthropogenic Global Warming Hoax has been uncorked for well over a year now, anyway.

    No. The only reason for the subsidy is to generate some market interest to create the illusion that Government Motors is producing a product anyone wants.
    Um, generating electricity at power plants is much more efficient than trying to generate power in a small car. Not to mention you could use excess electricity which would otherwise be wasted. And also, if we were to switch to renewable energy sources or nuclear, using your electric car would no longer cause CO2 emissions.

    If you're a Global Warming conspiracy theorist, please keep perpetuating your wrong view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I don't guzzle gas. I find it's bad for my heartburn.

    My ancient 10 mpg van loves the stuff, and it's sheer mass and presence on the road simply pushes the little hybridies out of my way.

    So, what's your point again? That you think sompe people should be robbed because others have rocks in their heads and swallow the trendiest eco-freak guff that will get them laid this week? Well, since I'm been ordered to pay the bill, I'm not going along with the game.
    You're ancient van guzzles gas, why should we pay environmentally for your polluting car? I'm glad we have some sensible people in Congress and in the majority at least. If you don't want to play along, you're welcome to not pay your taxes, but I don't think that will go very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    When, in three to four hundred years, the world begins to run out of oil, the people then will have the opportunity to pay bogus tax credits to scammers lying to them. No reason to play along today.
    More like 50-75 years. Oil will be running out soon, what a great attitude, if it doesn't happen today, just forget about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Right.

    And the government has what constitutional authority to meddle in the free market in this manner?

    Don't cite the commerce clause. This isn't regulating commerce, this is manipulating commerce to favor politically connected friends.
    I am right. Typical anti-government empty rhetoric.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •