View Poll Results: Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 3.39%
  • No

    56 94.92%
  • I don't know

    1 1.69%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 153

Thread: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

  1. #71
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I'm glad you brought that up. I can't stand the man but I thought what happened to him was wrong. So did Conservatives on talk and Fox. They were not celebrating. Maybe they were thinking they might be next, but more likely they just knew it was wrong. Mahers timing was lousy but that was no reason to dump him.
    It was a conservative talk show host (now a politician) who called for the boycott on Maher: Dan Patrick (Texas politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Bill maher said the guys who flew the planes into the WTC were brave.

    I thought she said that black people say the n-word alot.
    He said they were not cowards, which is correct, I suppose. His probem in saying that was it was so close to 9/11 and wounds were still bleeding profusely. His was more of a timing problem and not what he said. He should have just been allowed to apologize for being insensitive and the whole thing dropped. He didn't deserve to lose his show.

  3. #73
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Barb, I would still appreciate the examples of people who have had their first amendment right of free speech denied.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #74
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    He said they were not cowards, which is correct, I suppose. His probem in saying that was it was so close to 9/11 and wounds were still bleeding profusely. His was more of a timing problem and not what he said. He should have just been allowed to apologize for being insensitive and the whole thing dropped. He didn't deserve to lose his show.
    That is why I said it was no different than this situation.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So, of course, you're completely behind the effort by muslims to build a mosque near ground zero, right? Because, of course, you wouldn't want the government to infringe on the free practice of their beliefs. Right?
    Innaccurate question that is a strawman.

    Being behind, IE actually SUPPORTING, the mosque being built is not required to not want the government to infringe upon someones free practices.

    A better question would be whether or not the poster agreed with people having the right to bad mouth and protest the mosque and its creator, or if they should be silenced for doing such. As that would correlate to what happened with Laura, as people were bothered by what she did and thus spoke out against it to her detriment.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Innaccurate question that is a strawman.

    Being behind, IE actually SUPPORTING, the mosque being built is not required to not want the government to infringe upon someones free practices.

    A better question would be whether or not the poster agreed with people having the right to bad mouth and protest the mosque and its creator, or if they should be silenced for doing such. As that would correlate to what happened with Laura, as people were bothered by what she did and thus spoke out against it to her detriment.
    Good point.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The first amendment is not at issue here. In fact, I can't remember any case off the top of my head where some one had their first amendment rights trampled. Perhaps you can give some examples.
    When a well funded group MM, whose sole purpose for existing is to silence Conservatives and is succeeding I'd say our rights are in danger. If nothing else they will put everyone in fear of speaking out. You can see how the Dr Laura thing has turned out. A woman says the N word. MM takes it out of context. Sponsors and affiliates are contacted by MM. Dr. Laura decides to call it quits, maybe just because she is tired of it. She has been fighting MM and their affiliates for 10 yrs now over a gay thing. Now the N word. I'd don't blame her for quitting.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So, of course, you're completely behind the effort by muslims to build a mosque near ground zero, right? Because, of course, you wouldn't want the government to infringe on the free practice of their beliefs. Right?
    They have every right to build there. I wouldn't want the government to interfere with that right.

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    When a well funded group MM, whose sole purpose for existing is to silence Conservatives and is succeeding I'd say our rights are in danger. If nothing else they will put everyone in fear of speaking out. You can see how the Dr Laura thing has turned out. A woman says the N word. MM takes it out of context. Sponsors and affiliates are contacted by MM. Dr. Laura decides to call it quits, maybe just because she is tired of it. She has been fighting MM and their affiliates for 10 yrs now over a gay thing. Now the N word. I'd don't blame her for quitting.
    MM is a joke even among many liberals. Newsbusters is a similar joke on the other side(but of course they are the good guys, right?), and the two counteract each other nicely. The reason Dr Laura ran into problems is she spoke without thinking, not because of MM. If MM had not existed, she probably still would have run into trouble with her comments. There is no conspiracy or effort to stifle any one, and the first amendment is not even relevant in any of this, and you have still not shown a single example of any one being denied their first amendment rights.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    You'd think that someone who has a show in which she discusses politics would know something about politics, wouldn't you?
    I don't think she talks politics. She is a conservative advice person kind of like Ann Landers, Dear Abby, I think, only on radio. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I don't listen to her.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •