View Poll Results: Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 3.39%
  • No

    56 94.92%
  • I don't know

    1 1.69%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 153

Thread: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    If they had I'd hope they'd be in court over it.
    This is about the left trying to silence the right. We are in danger of losing our first amendment rights if we keep going down this road. We will be like Venezuala where the only speech allowed is what the government wants you to hear. Do away with Conservative talk and that's exactly what we'll have.
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

  2. #132
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know that.
    No problem.

    A lot of people thought what he said was offensive.
    I should hope so, the show was called "politically incorrect".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #133
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    No rights were violated. To my knowledge the government hasn't done a single thing one way or the other, so how can she have lost her first ammendment rights? Freedom of speech doesn't mean consequence free speech.

    That said, from what I've heard about the context of what she said, this is a serious overreaction. She didn't use the dreaded N-word as a slur or an attack. She used it in the context of having a conversation abou that word. The idea that we shouldn't even say the word when we're talking about that very word is ridiculous. Especially since only certain groups of people can't say the N-word. Other groups can use it constantly without any reprocussions. The reaction here is a classic example of hyper political correctness run amok.

    Oh, and just to prove that merely uttering (or in this case typing) a word isn't automatically offensive or racist ... NIGGER.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yeah, and the right has been trying for a long time to shut down talk radio that isn't Fox. Take, for example, the nipple slip from the Super Bowl. It was conservatives who tried to use the FCC to censor content on radio and television that conservatives found offensive.

    So conservatives are just as guilty of this as liberals are.
    W#ell, that saggy old broad's deliberate act of exposing herself was totally in appropriate for the Super Bowl half-time show with a hundred million children watching, just as the psychobabble broad's rant was inappropriate for general broadcast, for esentially the same reasons.

  5. #135
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    Oh, and just to prove that merely uttering (or in this case typing) a word isn't automatically offensive or racist ... NIGGER.
    We don't take kindly to ignorance nigger-guy



    Seriously, spot on psycho, as usual with your posts.

    Simply because ignorant people no longer actually know what the constitution actually does (which, ironically, are often the people also going "Them Damn Libruls are disrespectin the constitution~!") doesn't magically change it. If we assume simply change in common perception and vernacular = change in the constitution then you're opening the door to that being applied to the 2nd amendment and everything else.

    You are free to say whatever you want that's within the boundries of the law with regards to infringing upon the rights of others. I am free to react however I wish to it as long as its within the boundries of the law as well. NO ONE has freedom of being understood, of being free from from reprucusions, or freedom from over reaction.

  6. #136
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Innaccurate question that is a strawman.

    Being behind, IE actually SUPPORTING, the mosque being built is not required to not want the government to infringe upon someones free practices.

    A better question would be whether or not the poster agreed with people having the right to bad mouth and protest the mosque and its creator, or if they should be silenced for doing such. As that would correlate to what happened with Laura, as people were bothered by what she did and thus spoke out against it to her detriment.
    Agreed -- people have every right to protest the Mosque, just like everyone has the right to protest stupid radio talk show hosts.

    No one's 1st amendment rights have been violated in either case.

    Had the government prohibited the Mosque from building simply because of their religion, or had the government pulled the radio station's license simply because of what Laura said on the air, THEN there'd be a problem.

  7. #137
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Dr Laura is an idiot. The only "right" she lost was the right to spew her stupidity without facing backlash and ramifications. This is the same Dr. Laura idiot that claimed that she was "persecuted" by gays after she lost her TV show due to the backlash created by the hatred she spewed against gays back in the 90's.

    No...Dr. Laura....America is still the land of the free....however, you are not free to spew your propoganda and not face the consequences that rise up as a result.

    What a fool!....
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #138
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    Oh, and just to prove that merely uttering (or in this case typing) a word isn't automatically offensive or racist ... NIGGER.
    A few years ago, I heard about a teacher who lost her job for writing the word "Niger" on the board. Now, that happens to be both the name of a river and the name of a country in north central Africa. It is also the basis for the name of another country called Nigeria. Utterly rediculous...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    No. Dr. Laura's 1st Amendment rights as a talk radio personality are not being taken away. If anything, her sponsors have decided that she crossed over the line of on-air ediquette and diplomacy and yanked some of their sponsorship from her show. As such, Dr. Laura feels that she's being unduly limited in her ability to say what she wants. Well, I got news for her. She did this to herself. Nobody made her say the words that came out of her mouth. Nobody closed her ears so that she didn't listen to the issue the black female caller was attempting to address and seak her advise over. Instead, Dr. Laura went off in a completely different direction and got caught up in her own angry rant. Now, granted, since the issue was about racial insensativity, the caller was the one who used the "N-word" as an example of the racial insensativity issue she was addressing since as we all know the caller was black, her husband is white and it was her husband's white friends who were causing the caller the problem. Had Dr. Laura listened and addressed the caller's problem instead of going off in a completely different direction, maybe she wouldn't feel as though her 1st Amendment right to free speech - to say whatever she wants to say on the air - are being tread upon.

    Oh, and BTW, as the good Dr. is so fond of saying, "How you 'feel' about a particular situation doen't matter." She stepped into her own mess. Seems as though she's taking out her own trash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    No rights were violated. To my knowledge the government hasn't done a single thing one way or the other, so how can she have lost her first ammendment rights? Freedom of speech doesn't mean consequence free speech.

    That said, from what I've heard about the context of what she said, this is a serious overreaction. She didn't use the dreaded N-word as a slur or an attack. She used it in the context of having a conversation abou that word. The idea that we shouldn't even say the word when we're talking about that very word is ridiculous. Especially since only certain groups of people can't say the N-word. Other groups can use it constantly without any reprocussions. The reaction here is a classic example of hyper political correctness run amok.

    Oh, and just to prove that merely uttering (or in this case typing) a word isn't automatically offensive or racist ... NIGGER.
    On the surface of it, I don't disagree with you. However, as I explain in this thread (specifically in posts #53 and #71) context means everything, as well as, familiarity of the person and/or culture who uttered the word. Taken in totality, as a black man I can say that word and get away with it (in most cases), but a white man...not so much. And while not speaking as an authority on the matter, I think I articulate the reasons why very well. To put it mildly (as also mentioned in the linked thread), a man can't call a woman a "bitch" and think he can get away with it for the same reason a woman can call another woman a "bitch" and, depending on how or under what circumstance it is said, she can!
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 08-20-10 at 01:59 PM.

  10. #140
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    No. Dr. Laura's 1st Amendment rights as a talk radio personality are not being taken away. If anything, her sponsors have decided that she crossed over the line of on-air ediquette and diplomacy and yanked some of their sponsorship from her show. As such, Dr. Laura feels that she's being unduly limited in her ability to say what she wants. Well, I got news for her. She did this to herself. Nobody made her say the words that came out of her mouth. Nobody closed her ears so that she didn't listen to the issue the black female caller was attempting to address and seak her advise over. Instead, Dr. Laura went off in a completely different direction and got caught up in her own angry rant. Now, granted, since the issue was about racial insensativity, the caller was the one who used the "N-word" as an example of the racial insensativity issue she was addressing since as we all know the caller was black, her husband is white and it was her husband's white friends who were causing the caller the problem. Had Dr. Laura listened and addressed the caller's problem instead of going off in a completely different direction, maybe she wouldn't feel as though her 1st Amendment right to free speech - to say whatever she wants to say on the air - are being tread upon.

    Oh, and BTW, as the good Dr. is so fond of saying, "How you 'feel' about a particular situation doen't matter." She stepped into her own mess. Seems as though she's taking out her own trash.



    On the surface of it, I don't disagree with you. However, as I explain in this thread (specifically in posts #53 and #71) context means everything, as well as, familiarity of the person and/or culture who uttered the word. Taken in totality, as a black man I can say that word and get away with it (in most cases), but a white man...not so much. And while not speaking as an authority on the matter, I think I articulate the reasons why very well. To put it mildly (as also mentioned in the linked thread), a man can't call a woman a "bitch" and think he can get away with it for the same reason a woman can call another woman a "bitch" and, depending on how or under what circumstance it is said, she can!
    However, a man can have a conversation about the word 'bitch' and not have people boycotting his advertisers because he dared to utter the word aloud in the presence of a woman.

    And any woman who happens to hear the word 'bitch' isn't going to go on Larry King and express what an "ordeal" it was and how wonderful it is that everyone is "supporting" her through this "tough time" and how she has "crying fits" because she was forced to hear the word on the airwaves.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •