View Poll Results: Do you agree with Dr. Laura that she lost her First Amendment rights?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 3.39%
  • No

    56 94.92%
  • I don't know

    1 1.69%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 153

Thread: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    If the right to speak freely weren't considered pure and positive and an ownership of the citizen, then the government could simply use surrogate organizations to impose a repression of speech. I wonder if you would be so adamant that the right to speak freely isn't pure if this were happening to someone you admired or agreed with.
    I've pretty much always believed that companies have a right to fire an employee for publicly embarrassing them, so yeah. I would.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    Just because you have the right to free speech doesn't mean you have the right to be free from criticism. And when you're the mouthpiece for a company, business or party... it is understandable that they wouldn't want you tarnishing their image.
    This I can agree with. And the issue is more complex than the simple act and reaction of her employer. It also comes on the heels of another organization, that calls itself a media watchdog, completely spinning the issue out of proportion.

    Media Matters and others tried to turn a tongue in cheek hyperbole into a Michael Richards Nigger Rant.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Ignorance is more like denying that words have actual meanings, an d trying to excuse poor statements.
    Ignorance is denying that common language has relevance or meaning.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN BOYCOTT OF DISNEY
    Boycott The Home Depot For Firing Christian While Approving Homosexuality (Action Alert - Please Share)

    Here's a whole website dedicated to what you discuss:
    ChristianBoycott.org | Effective Christian Activism

    And by the way, Dr. Laura signoff is talk of the town - She owns her own show, so the only person that can fire her is her.

    Can anyone else say "publicity stunt"?

    This woman is BSC. Of all people, Howard Stern is right (something I thought I'd never say in my lifetime): "You'll see. This is all bull----".
    The Catholic league lodging a complaint with Disney 15 yrs ago over a film showing 5 dysfunctional priests does not equal Conservative Christians boycott Disney, though boycotts were mentioned.
    Christian Boycott.org does not equal lets put these guys out of business because they are telling lies about Christians in book they published etc.
    Boycotts are pretty much the American way. But when you have MM with the power to get large advertizers to pull out in the hopes of silencing the right, that is infringing on free speech in my opinion.
    These Christian groups aren't trying to silence anyone, they just want them held accountable for what they print of show in movies. Especially ones that target children.
    I always thought boycotts worked something like this. Hey, Petland, I'm not going to spend money at your store until you stop selling puppies from puppy mills. I'm also going to get my friends together to do the same.
    A boycott should not be Hey General Motors, I'm from Media Matters and Dr. Laura said the N word 11 times today. Oh, you'll pull your advertisements? Thanks.

  5. #125
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    The Catholic league lodging a complaint with Disney 15 yrs ago over a film showing 5 dysfunctional priests does not equal Conservative Christians boycott Disney, though boycotts were mentioned.
    Christian Boycott.org does not equal lets put these guys out of business because they are telling lies about Christians in book they published etc.
    Boycotts are pretty much the American way. But when you have MM with the power to get large advertizers to pull out in the hopes of silencing the right, that is infringing on free speech in my opinion.
    These Christian groups aren't trying to silence anyone, they just want them held accountable for what they print of show in movies. Especially ones that target children.
    I always thought boycotts worked something like this. Hey, Petland, I'm not going to spend money at your store until you stop selling puppies from puppy mills. I'm also going to get my friends together to do the same.
    A boycott should not be Hey General Motors, I'm from Media Matters and Dr. Laura said the N word 11 times today. Oh, you'll pull your advertisements? Thanks.
    ludicrious. gm doesn't give a crap about what dr laura SAYS, they care about the effect her words have on her viewership. and her audience will decline, so gm would pull sponsorship. are you saying media matters shouldn't REPORT this? did they report anything that was untrue? why do you insist on making this political, when it's clearly not?

  6. #126
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It was a conservative talk show host (now a politician) who called for the boycott on Maher: Dan Patrick (Texas politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks. I didn't know that. A lot of people thought what he said was offensive.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    ludicrious. gm doesn't give a crap about what dr laura SAYS, they care about the effect her words have on her viewership. and her audience will decline, so gm would pull sponsorship. are you saying media matters shouldn't REPORT this? did they report anything that was untrue? why do you insist on making this political, when it's clearly not?
    Do you really think that the base audience of Dr Laura is actually going to stop watching because of her hyperbole?

  8. #128
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,650

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Do you really think that the base audience of Dr Laura is actually going to stop watching because of her hyperbole?
    Only if they take her microphone and soapbox away. Otherwise, I think it will business as usual.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Barb, I would still appreciate the examples of people who have had their first amendment right of free speech denied.
    If they had I'd hope they'd be in court over it.
    This is about the left trying to silence the right. We are in danger of losing our first amendment rights if we keep going down this road. We will be like Venezuala where the only speech allowed is what the government wants you to hear. Do away with Conservative talk and that's exactly what we'll have.

  10. #130
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Dr. Laura Claims She Lost Her First Amendment Rights, Is she correct?

    The govt did not impede her speech, so no. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from possible consequence. If I tell my boss he's a big mean poo poo head who likes to give camels hand jobs, chances are there are going to repercussions. I have to accept that possibility if I choose to say something like that.

    That said, I think this whole ****ing uproar about her use of the word nigger is ****ing retarded bull**** blown out of proportion six ways from sunday. I don't see - at all - what the big deal is. It's a ****ing word. It's used all the ****ing time. Quite frankly - Get The **** Over It already. If you're offended, boo ****ing hoo so don't listen to her show. But having a hissy fit because a white woman DARED to utter the word nigger is such outrageous bull****.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •