View Poll Results: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Politician

    12 19.05%
  • Businessman

    51 80.95%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 175

Thread: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

  1. #51
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    The two aren't mutually exclusive.

    Ideally, the politician. In reality, both tend to be bad, but one of the people I admire most is a businessman.

    So, basically a choice between my ideal and a person I admire.

    Since judges are a type of politician, that spikes politicians some points; there are few persons I admire more than judges, and the judicial branch is my 'preferred' branch of government.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 08-19-10 at 11:09 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #52
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Maybe you just don't understand the power of good business and blurring the line between need and wanting?
    Perhaps not in the sense that you understand "good business" or "blurring the line between need and want." I really mind the businessman's attempt to claim my want is an actual need, because he has no power to control my purchasing decisions. Governments, on the other hand, are notorious for blurring this line.

  3. #53
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Let's say there's a firefighter who goes home and beats his wife and molests his kids. I don't admire this person, regardless of his occupation. He's a piece of ****.

    Now let's say there is another guy who got laid off from his job and is having so much trouble making ends meet his kids are starving. He's at the end of his rope, so he decides that dealing crack and risking his life and freedom is worth it to keep his kids' belly full. I don't agree with his choice, but I do admire the fact that he's willing to do whatever it takes for his kids.
    Of course there are exceptions. You honestly think I don't know that? But stop kidding yourself for a second and just recognize that society DOES, in fact, admire certain occupational positions over others. It is honorable to save and protect lives for a living.

    And your last paragraph has to be a joke! Selling poison to feed your children is admirable in your opinion? "Do whatever it takes for his kids?" How about robbing a liquor store? Is that admirable?

  4. #54
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Teachers. Duh.
    Not really. Teachers help to generate or regenerate creativity and knowledge They do not, necessarily, build the society from the bottom up (Ford built something, a teacher would simply tell his story and hope that it fuels more creation and discovery).

  5. #55
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The creation of, the maintenance of, and the amending of the state. Without a state (or substituted authority), we would live in chaos, but instead we have a state that proposes to have the twin goals of providing the best it can for the commonwealth as well as protection of the minority from the tyranny of the majority. We do not have to like what each politician does, but the suggestion that all he/she does is talk is ridiculous and goes against the poster's well-known post history.
    You should read Hakim Bey. I'm not an anarchist, but I tend to be very skeptical of the idea of a complete chaos as a result of the diminishing of a state. Think about when you get together with your neighbors and have a BBQ. It's a communal practice that requires no governmental planning. The state, temporarily, does not exist in a neighborhood gathering and yet there is no chaos.

  6. #56
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Teachers do much more than teach what is in a textbook. I would say its 40% what is in a textbook and 60% understanding the childs problems, teaching them how to stay in line, and teaching them to get along, etc
    What an idealistic fantasy?!

  7. #57
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Well, you're putting the ridiculousness of your own question into the light here. A dictator is a politician, and a crack dealer is a businessman.

    You can't really compare people like that just based on what they do. There are both good and bad politicians, and good and bad businessmen, so just saying which do you admire more, a politician or a businessman, is not answerable. You could be comparing Hitler to Warren Buffet. Or you could be comparing Abraham Lincoln to Bernard Madoff.
    I commend this response. IMHO, this is perhaps the most well thought-out response against my original argument. If you were a libertarian who believed in the legalization of drugs, you would beat me in this debate. But instead, you're "slightly liberal" which leads me to assume you don't agree with the legalization of drugs. Therefore, crack dealing is an illegal business as we now see it. You cannot compare a legal occupation to an illegal occupation in this debate.

    But for the most part, your argument contains great merit. There are bad businessmen and good politicians. I'm just under the assumption that the collective good of society stems more from the productive actions of businessmen versus the productive actions of politicans. It's a very generalized debate.

  8. #58
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    At the same time many of these concerns travel to the politician's occupation and impact that vote, even if those criteria are nearly out of his or her control or factor into governing styles, amendments, and so forth.
    That's a nice way to conceal the general motive of which each occupation stands to survive. Politicians, through historical practice, care more about concentrating power in their own hands than they do about actually improving society. Businessmen care more about success and profit than they do your health and wellness, but somehow their greed ends up benefitting all of society.

  9. #59
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't admire or not-admire people based solely on their occupation.
    I'm not asking you to admire a person. I'm asking which occupation do you admire more?

  10. #60
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't know - did the firefighter set the blaze before he went to fight, killing a child and her mother?
    Is the Doctor a quack working out of a storage shed?
    Do the nurses secretly kill their patients?
    Do the teachers molest their students?
    Are police officers under-the-table thugs acceptign a blind eye to crime?

    Is the minister a pedophile?
    The blood-splatter-analyst a serial killer?

    Is the crack dealer only a crack dealer because it's the life that thug Mom and Dad thrust him into when he was 10 to satisfy their own drug habits?
    Dictators - again, some are bad and some are good.

    Occupation doesn't mean a ****ing thing, apparently.

    Oddly - I could think of more real-life examples of a "bad" cop/officer/lawyer/judge/politican/priest/teacher than I could good examples of a crack dealer/gangster/rapist.

    Seems that crime is afoot and comes in all colors.
    Way to state the obvious! Now, which occupation do you admire more?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •