View Poll Results: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Politician

    12 19.05%
  • Businessman

    51 80.95%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 175

Thread: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

  1. #151
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    But the majority of people no longer can borrow money to drive Wal-Mart's growth. In September, 2000, Wal-Mart stock sold for $52. Today it's selling for $51 and change. An investor would have done better with less risk putting the money in a bank.
    So people will have to spend responsibly? The horror.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #152
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    But the majority of people no longer can borrow money to drive Wal-Mart's growth. In September, 2000, Wal-Mart stock sold for $52. Today it's selling for $51 and change. An investor would have done better with less risk putting the money in a bank.
    Can you please tell me your point or elaborate a bit?

  3. #153
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Can you please tell me your point or elaborate a bit?
    Sure. My point revolves around the same theme I've been trumpeting on this board for months: Society functions best when people cooperate and understand that they're all in the same boat. Wal-Mart's business model of wringing cost reductions from suppliers in a sort of brutish, Darwinian competition and paying workers sub-industry wages might have worked indefinitely if the world stood still and other companies didn't do likewise. I just find it ironic that the whole drive to impoverish workers was supposed to make companies more prosperous, but the result has been stagnation and mediocrity. And I have the feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.
    Нава́льный 2018

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Sure. My point revolves around the same theme I've been trumpeting on this board for months: Society functions best when people cooperate and understand that they're all in the same boat. Wal-Mart's business model of wringing cost reductions from suppliers in a sort of brutish, Darwinian competition and paying workers sub-industry wages might have worked indefinitely if the world stood still and other companies didn't do likewise. I just find it ironic that the whole drive to impoverish workers was supposed to make companies more prosperous, but the result has been stagnation and mediocrity. And I have the feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.
    I agree, yet I am not a conservative,I think.

  5. #155
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    So people will have to spend responsibly? The horror.
    I agree, yet I am not a Libertarian.

  6. #156
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Sure. My point revolves around the same theme I've been trumpeting on this board for months: Society functions best when people cooperate and understand that they're all in the same boat. Wal-Mart's business model of wringing cost reductions from suppliers in a sort of brutish, Darwinian competition and paying workers sub-industry wages might have worked indefinitely if the world stood still and other companies didn't do likewise. I just find it ironic that the whole drive to impoverish workers was supposed to make companies more prosperous, but the result has been stagnation and mediocrity. And I have the feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.
    How much should a Walmart employee be paid? You can call it social darwinism, but when you're competiting with the largest firms on the GLOBE, Walmart's sheer size can be good for the American economy. Walmart does not impoverish workers. Individuals impoverish themselves, or simply refuse to rise out of the poverty they were born into. The only exceptions are the physically and mentally disabled. You may disagree.

  7. #157
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Why are your polls always black and white choices?

    There are some politicians I admire and some I despise. There are some businessman I admire and some I despise.

    Do you think the businessmen who flouted safety concerns and caused the Bhopal chemical explosion that killed thousands of Indians are more admirable than, say, Kennedy or Reagan?

    Why does it have to be a black and white choice?

  8. #158
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I think businessman and entreupeneur (spelling?) are not always the same thing. Someone can create something new, or innovate, or invent, or build, all things related to producing a product. The average businessman is just a salesman, making a commission off the creativity of others. Not saying it is bad, just that selling isn't really something special.
    I just thought of a businessman who I can't find anything at all wrong with. His name is John Huntsman (a self made billionaire), not to be confused with John Huntsman the (Politician)
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #159
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    I'm sorry I can't write a book on the subject so that it's detailed enough for you. But I am a public history major. Can you please give an in-depth analysis of why you favor government over business?
    Public history? did you leave out a word? If not, what would private history be?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #160
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    How much should a Walmart employee be paid? You can call it social darwinism, but when you're competiting with the largest firms on the GLOBE, Walmart's sheer size can be good for the American economy. Walmart does not impoverish workers. Individuals impoverish themselves, or simply refuse to rise out of the poverty they were born into. The only exceptions are the physically and mentally disabled. You may disagree.
    agree, I was born into a poor family, dad was a security guard til he hit age 38 and it occurred to him that he cannot continue to feed a wife and 5 kids on his income. Later on my parents adopted an out of wedlock nephew, so they raised 6 kids. Only 2 of us escaped the poverty trap.
    Most of us are what we make of ourselves. People who accept part time work, low wages, minimal benefits, etc. are usually the barely educated and there are plenty of employers who need just that, and nothing more. IF people want the wages of skilled labor, they should do their part to become skilled...
    OTOH, business could stop exporting jobs overseas...and politicians could do more to improve education and skill training to help keep those jobs at home. Let's see, that leaves the unions......what can they do? I know, stop demanding high wages for low skill jobs, especially when the consumers are skittish and aren't buying the products the skilled labor produces...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •