View Poll Results: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Politician

    12 19.05%
  • Businessman

    51 80.95%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 175

Thread: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

  1. #101
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    If instead of using the term "politician" you had used "statesman" in your poll I think the result would have been different. Politicians and businessmen are a dime a dozen. A statesman only comes once in a generation, if that.
    One man's opportunism is another man's statemanship. I should have used the words "what occupation" instead of "who."

  2. #102
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,898

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    One man's opportunism is another man's statemanship. I should have used the words "what occupation" instead of "who."
    Well, while I understand what you meant, I think it is more about the "who" than the "what." Who is more admirable? I'd place people like Konrad Adenauer, Vaclav Havel, Nelson Mandela, and Winston Churchill against any businessman. All of these men stood for something other than money.
    Нава́льный 2018

  3. #103
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Well, while I understand what you meant, I think it is more about the "who" than the "what." Who is more admirable? I'd place people like Konrad Adenauer, Vaclav Havel, Nelson Mandela, and Winston Churchill against any businessman. All of these men stood for something other than money.
    Each of these men did have their ideals, and some were very instrumental in doing good things, allowing good things to happen. However, it is wrong in my personal opinion to put such powerful men above the individuals who actually create society. Leaders of a society do not create anything. They can either regulate creation or allow it to happen without interferring. Some may stand for a new status quo that brings more liberties to more individuals, and I commend those individuals. But it is the businessman that creates innovation and discovery.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,898

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Each of these men did have their ideals, and some were very instrumental in doing good things, allowing good things to happen. However, it is wrong in my personal opinion to put such powerful men above the individuals who actually create society. Leaders of a society do not create anything.
    In a state of anarchy, businessmen are free to create whatever they want. And yet they don't. Why is that? Because it's the politician who creates the environment--establishes the rule of law, a system of weights and measures, a taxation system that allows for the construction of basic infrastructure, etc.--that permits a society to rise above anarchy and prosper.
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #105
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    In a state of anarchy, businessmen are free to create whatever they want. And yet they don't. Why is that? Because it's the politician who creates the environment--establishes the rule of law, a system of weights and measures, a taxation system that allows for the construction of basic infrastructure, etc.--that permits a society to rise above anarchy and prosper.
    Nobody creates anything in a state of anarchy? Are you sure about that?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #106
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    A politician who is in politics for the right reason is much more rare than the endless supply of people who wish to make themselves rich.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  7. #107
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    What would stop me from coming over with a group of my friends, after you've already cooked up the steaks, and forcibly taking them? Nothing. There may be no governmental planning, but without governmental protection you'd be a lot less secure.
    those of us who agree with him would probably shoot you if you tried that. That is how things work in a free society



  8. #108
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,898

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Nobody creates anything in a state of anarchy? Are you sure about that?
    In a state of anarchy, I suppose there is nothing in principle to stop people from cooperating, creating, and producing. But when one looks at successful societies, they tend to have one thing in common: good governance. How many admirable businessmen do you find in societies that don't have good government? You see any admirable businessmen in Somalia?
    Last edited by Ahlevah; 08-26-10 at 11:32 PM.
    Нава́льный 2018

  9. #109
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    If instead of using the term "politician" you had used "statesman" in your poll I think the result would have been different. Politicians and businessmen are a dime a dozen. A statesman only comes once in a generation, if that.
    You mean a promoter of the common good?
    No thanks. I want politicians who get out of the way. That gives every individual has an opportunity to succeed on their own.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    History is filled with great and noble politicians, not so with businessmen.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •