View Poll Results: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Politician

    12 19.05%
  • Businessman

    51 80.95%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 175

Thread: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

  1. #91
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Seeing as how some politicians and businessmen are essentially prostitutes, and others I wouldn't dare calling prostitutes for fear of insulting prostitutes the world over...


    What Tucker said.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #92
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Way to state the obvious! Now, which occupation do you admire more?
    I don't admire occupations. . . I admire people and their quality of work, values, ethics, efficiency, etc.

    And in every occupation there can be good people/bad people . . . and so on.

    If we were comparing one politician with one businessmen I'd have more to compare - but I wouldn't generalize that to cover *all* people of said occupation.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #93
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't admire occupations. . . I admire people and their quality of work, values, ethics, efficiency, etc.

    And in every occupation there can be good people/bad people . . . and so on.

    If we were comparing one politician with one businessmen I'd have more to compare - but I wouldn't generalize that to cover *all* people of said occupation.
    ^This^

    I answered "businessman", because I considered it more likely that I would admire any random businessman over any random politician.

    Probably a 60-70% probablity, I think.

    In some cases, I would dislike both, in some I would like one or the other, and in some I would like both (least likely possiblity).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #94
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't admire occupations. . . I admire people and their quality of work, values, ethics, efficiency, etc.

    And in every occupation there can be good people/bad people . . . and so on.

    If we were comparing one politician with one businessmen I'd have more to compare - but I wouldn't generalize that to cover *all* people of said occupation.
    It seems like everyone posting in this thread who despises the integrity of the question are unemployed and have never secured the job they admired as a kid. I've only recently discovered what I want to do with my life. My enthusiaism for archiving is also an admiration. A lot of young kids admire astronauts and hope to someday become one. I'm simply just asking between these two influential occupations, which would you prefer to admire? Perhaps it's too hypothetical and fantastic. If you had it to do over again, and you could either be a successful politician or a successful businessman, which would you choose?

  5. #95
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    I'd rather be a politician. I feel that position would best suit me to make the change i want to make. To preserve liberty, to fight to the common man, to be an advocate of the people.
    “The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
    -James Madison

  6. #96
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-24-10 @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    It depends on what they do. The Businessman has a hell of a lot of more potential. A politician that sits on his hands is allowing the nation to stabilize. A businessman that does the same will be left to ruin.

  7. #97
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    both can be as good or as bad as the other, i would admire the one with the most integrity, honesty, courage and intelligence, unfortunately, the very nature of the political machine tends to forfeit the first three, not to say the individuals don't possess those traits, just that they're not encouraged.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #98
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    It seems like everyone posting in this thread who despises the integrity of the question are unemployed and have never secured the job they admired as a kid. I've only recently discovered what I want to do with my life. My enthusiaism for archiving is also an admiration. A lot of young kids admire astronauts and hope to someday become one. I'm simply just asking between these two influential occupations, which would you prefer to admire? Perhaps it's too hypothetical and fantastic. If you had it to do over again, and you could either be a successful politician or a successful businessman, which would you choose?
    Honey, you're asking the wrong person that type of question. . . I'm not the type to be able to choose a favored career choice based on various work preferences. . .I never contrived a fantasy-occupation nor can I ever make up my mind. Just 2 years ago I was deep into my schooling for being a Pharmacist.

    I've considered various political careers as much as I've considered business careers - My career choice, I hope, will permit me to cross into both of those (Risk Management). Since I haven't worked in either field yet (I don't consider managing a store to be serious 'business' - that's just something that cross my lap) I don't know which one I prefer - They both have their appeals and disadvantages. Both are within my reach. Both are interesting.

    I can't answer the question, I guess, because my view is the same.

    My fantasy job as a kid, by the way, was to be a violinist - which I was for 13 years. When I was really little I wanted to 'be a violinist while riding on a horse' - LOL - later i found I was terrified of the notion. But my Dad thought it was adorable and even wrote a sermon about it.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 08-22-10 at 10:24 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #99
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    This is quite a strawman argument. Only, you're putting up the strawman and I'm bored enough to break it down. Here's an easy way to find out if you admire an occupation (I, of course, honor human beings before intangible occupations...but this thread is specifically about occupations):

    Are you employed? Have you EVER, in your entire life, wished or fantasized about working in some particular field for a living ("What do you do for a living?" have is often a question about one's own occupation)? If the answer is yes to either one of these questions, then you have, in fact, admired certain occupational positions throughout your life. This wasn't meant to be as deep as, "Who has been your favorite human being(s) in life?" This is more like, "What career would you choose if you had these two choices?"
    Of course, that argument fails because one doesn't typically choose or desire a particular occupation due to it being admirable. Instead they choose/desire it because they think it would be more enjoyable or more profitable. I wanted to be a stand-up comedian at one point.

    On top of that, if there is a forced choice between two occupations, the deciding factor would not be the "admirability" of the two occupations.

    So even though the answer is obviously "yes" to your two questions, the fact that you mis-attribute that affirmative response to some sort of "admirability" of the occupation is pure nonsense.

    On top of that, this thread is NOT "specifically about occupations". it's specifically about the PEOPLE who work in certain occupations. i.e. Businessman vs. Politician.

    This is obvious given the word choice of the question. If the question was "Which occupation is more admirable: Business or Politics"

    Then it could be argued as having been about the occupations originally, but the question (and thread title) was "Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?"

    As most people would agree, the word "Who" specifically relates to "what or which persons".

    The terms "politician" and "businessman" refer to the people who hold specific occupations, but are often used colloquially to describe the occupation itself. Thus, the presence of the "Who" in the question and thread title clearly indicates that the idea being discussed is the individual people who are in these occupations, not the actual occupations.

    Obviously,you are now moving the goal posts. This can be supported with eth evidence from an earlier response by you:

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    But how often does the profession shape the character of the person? Was Mother Theresa a saint because she was born a saint? Or did her profession shape the way she acted in society? Surely you can admire Obama for his countless large scale "reforms," none of which can happen to a simpleton with no occupation.
    Here you also talk about the person's admnirability and attempt to use fallacy to justify the association of individual character traits with an occupation. You also present an "almost" argument in the form of rhetorical questions that implies said individual character trait is determined by the occupation.

    However, such associations are erroneous because if the occupation did shape the character of the individual, we could have what actually occurs which is a range of different people in certain occupations who's particular character trait in question ranges from admirable to deplorable.

    Using Mother Teresa as an example, her occupation was that of a Catholic Nun. It doesn't take much searching to find examples of Catholic nuns who are as despicable as Mother Teresa would be considered admirable. Just look into the Irish child abuse scandal and what happened in the orphanages.

    Same occupation, totally different behaviors.

    Thus, anyone who does not create idealized and imaginary archetypes for each occupation that they look at with the adoration of a small child cannot possibly answer the given question.

    If you really wanted to know about the "admirability" of the occupations, then you did a piss-poor job of wording the question.

    But let's assume that you hadn't done a piss-poor job of wording the question, and you actually asked about the occupations instead of the people, in such a case I would say "Neither is more admirable. Occupations are not particularly admirable"

    This is because admirability is not a trait which should be applied to occupations, IMO.

    Instead, only the character traits of the individual should be looked at.

    For example, I used to be a construction worker and ran my own business. Now I'm a personal caregiver who takes care of a man with a brain injury. My own personal character hasn't changed with my occupation.

    If I was admirable when I was a construction worker, then I am just admirable now. If I am admirable now, then I was just as admirable then. If I wasn't considered admirable then, then I shouldn't be considered admirable now. If I'm not considered admirable now, then I shouldn't have been considered admirable then.

    Nothing about me as a person has changed because of my change in occupation. Now, I admit that for many people, the esteem in which my current occupation is held is typically higher than the esteem of my previous occupation (and possibly vice versa).

    But I don't buy into these stereotypes.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,926

    Re: Who is more ADMIRABLE, the POLITICIAN or the BUSINESSMAN?

    If instead of using the term "politician" you had used "statesman" in your poll I think the result would have been different. Politicians and businessmen are a dime a dozen. A statesman only comes once in a generation, if that.
    Нава́льный 2018

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •